• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Light Rising (Beta 1.1 (Fixed Version) Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    Dude no offense, but the tiles you had initially look better right now. I suggest you roll with those. Also the background palette for your titlescreen makes it look weird. I'd suggest modifying the palette to make it more eye-friendly to the player.

SuperChespinX

Play Pokemon Shiny Jewel
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    Dude no offense, but the tiles you had initially look better right now. I suggest you roll with those. Also the background palette for your titlescreen makes it look weird. I'd suggest modifying the palette to make it more eye-friendly to the player.

I think I would make the palette eye-friendly to the player. I could do it for the next beta.

Can someone help please because when I open the game, it just comes up white-pitch can someone fix it because I don't know how. :(

By the time there is going to be a delay for now.

Never mind guys I fix it for myself. It was just easy actually anyways their will be no delay yay! :)

One more day guys before the beta. This is going to be awesome beta and I hope you like it. ^^

Hey guys before the beta release, I have posted some screenshots that will happens the beta. :)
    More will come up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperChespinX

Play Pokemon Shiny Jewel
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    Beta 1 has now released. I hope you enjoy it and give me feedback

WARNING:
    There would be some bugs so try to avoid them. I will fix them for the next beta.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    Thank You SuperChespinX.. All my friends and members of my pokemon facebook group are excited for this. xD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Look buddy, I can do the best thing that I could do but I know that tiles that you don't expected but I given credits anyways by the way would you play this game. :mudkip;):
    I...can't really understand most of this post, but all I was saying was that naming it Light Rising as a jab to Dark Rising is a little mean spirited...though the more I watch the thread, I get the feeling that the name was just picked because it was an easy choice.

But everything else I said is constructive criticism that I think you should take into consideration. I'll try it out, though.

SuperChespinX

Play Pokemon Shiny Jewel
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    There will be a fixed version of Pokemon Light Rising soon for the beta.:)
    Fixed Version features:
    Bugs and Glitches are fix.
    Extend amount of GYM, Rival, and trainer's pokemon.
    Scripts needs to be edit. (Including trainers scripts)

Speaking of Bugs, could someone help to fix this bug that you getting during the battle. This picture will proof:
    Pokemon Light Rising (Beta 1.1 (Fixed Version) Released)

Can some of help me of the scripting because I'm not that good at scripting so can you guys help me please.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • You should really work on those tile errors. Also try to change the graphics a lot, such as battle backgrounds, OWs, everything else
    The tiles could use work since they look really watercolored

SuperChespinX

Play Pokemon Shiny Jewel
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    No worries guys, I just know how to fix the battle text that used to have bugs.
    Here is the improvement:
    Before

After

P.S: When you making a rom hack, Don't use PET, It gets all buggy, make sure you use A-Trainer instead.

Last edited:

Jade Conan

Strategies above the dèpth
    Years
  • Just notify me when my works come...
    Mhm..I have never used pet though...as I always use a-trainer but I don't think using pet gives u a bug...as many may have used it in their hacks a time ago when a-trainer wasn't there...may be you have some error in your script before or u did something wrong in using pet...nvm that though..its good to see you at least made it good..

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024

This hack's title is alarmingly fitting for those familiar with what it's derived from, so I'd like to point out that trying to emulate Dark Rising is not a good way to make a decent hack. The "beta" is in a comically sorry state. Some of the more memorable issues I found:

-The dialogue that's edited does not seem to have been proofread at all, unless it's a nominally edited string from FR.
    -Leaving the lab after getting the starter, you have to fight a trainer with an "Inkay" (it has Smoochum's stats) that, between Peck and STAB Bite, will consistently defeat a level 5 starter. If you didn't visit the Pokemon Center before wiping to the trainer, you get trapped in Blaine's gym, and even if you did it'll probably take upwards of 20 tries if you got haxed out of a free level in the rival fight.
    -The vast majority of mons have not been fully edited- most of them have vanilla base stats, and the few that don't often have absurdly incorrect stats (660 BST darmanitan). TM compatibilities are sometimes changed, but among the edited ones there's nonsense like Iron Tail Lilligant and Focus Punch Staraptor.
    -Making a Rock-type move with Spikes's effect and naming it Stealth Rock does not get you Stealth Rock, it gets you another move that puts down Spikes. I'm extremely disappointed to see this being done again.
    -Mapping in general is painful to walk through as nearly every area is either a nominally edited vanilla map or a series of narrow paths. Try to favor larger paths with more room for the player to walk in straight lines. Also don't reuse the same generic tileset 0 house for literally everything.
    -Also it should go without saying not to intermix custom maps and largely untouched vanilla areas while expecting people to not recognize vanilla Mt. Moon with a different (misapplied) tileset.
    -In the same vein, most of us can recognize when trainers are ripped straight from vanilla, especially if you change the trainer's class without adjusting the lines at all.
    -Please do not try to tweak move effects if you're going to add 100% accurate 100% proc Inferno or 100% proc Zen Headbutt.
    -Playtest things yourself multiple times, and don't release a beta when you know there are glaring issues. It's normal for your first hack to not be very good but generally you should keep it to yourself and use it as a testing ground to learn what works and what doesn't.

edit: I played it with sound off but looking back it seems like the battle themes have been replaced with RSE themes using FR voicegroups- either stick with vanilla FR music or port the voices over, too. Also it seems like the leader theme is Liquid Crystal's champion music, which you should probably be crediting if you're using it (and using the right voices, again)

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • It's normal for your first hack to not be very good but generally you should keep it to yourself and use it as a testing ground to learn what works and what doesn't.
    This, so much this. Please, if you are making a hack, always ask for constructive criticism. The more you let people tell you how to improve, the better you will get as a result. And between you and me, Dark Rising is not a good role model for a hack (in fact I dare say it is one of the most pitiful examples of a hack to ever exist given all of it's horrible palette edits, crappily recolored sprites and horrible balancing).

Aside from that, might I recommend adjusting the palette a bit? You seem to have a few 'iffy' palettes that don't exactly look the best. In particular, your outdoor palette:

The trees and grass contrast a little too much here. The ground is a very yellow-green color while the trees and grass are very dark. And the spacing between the colors is also a bit too wide, try to keep the colors within a smaller gradient. You might also want to redo that tree, simply because the amount of colors within the tree is so few that there are obvious blotches of one color that don't exactly look very good. Also,

The palette in here doesn't look very good at all, in fact a lot of the Pokeball has been washed out because everything is the same color of red. Try swapping out the main colors for a more light gray or a tan color or something so that the rest of the scene doesn't look horribly out of place, and so that the Pokeball in the floor can actually be somewhat visible.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Mixing sprites between games isn't good. Try keeping a consistent style. A good example is DarkViolet, it uses gen 3 in a single style which both looks good and complements itself at the same time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back