• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Markings/Coat Differences (Theory discussion)

!Gambit

Pokemon Trainer Jessie Ryder
Years
  • Something that has always bothered me is that every single Rapidash looks like every other Rapidash. I personally don't think that each Pokemon looks exactly like each other Pokemon of its species. Some examples in the anime are of Pikachu (there are different black markings on different 'chu's). I think that coat pattens differentiate by gender and by Pokemon.

Example: If you have an Arcanine it may very well only have one stripe, whereas other Arcanine could be nearly completely tan with stripes. Rapidash have different coat colors, much likes horses, ranging from Paints (splotches of two different colors all over) to solid black.

Discuss.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Uhm, yeah. Being based from animals (mostly), it is an implication that Pokémon of the same species differ from appearance in the same way animals do. There are also male and female physiological differences that aims to differentiate gendered Pokémon from each other, much like animals.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • Yeah, the only design they actually allow some diversity in in the game is Spinda. Tehy have different pink markings. I believe the reason they didn't make it in the game where every Pikachu has different sized cheeks, is different intensities of yellow and has different amount of black markings is because it takes too much time and it's unnecessary. You see a Pikachu and you know it's a Pikachu, do you really want to waste your time finding the Pikachu with the perfect cheek size?

In the anime there is some distinction (for example, with the Pichu brothers one has a smooth head and the other has a tuft of head fur.) I think that's all we really need, at least for now.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think all pokémon have small differences in fur pattern and physiology, just like humans. Only, colors and patterns and shapes might not vary as much as it does for us.

Look at two tigers; they all have very similar stripes. Same with zebras, or the dots of two giraffes. They don't really vary much in color, only in position and perhaps a little in size or shape. I imagine most pokémon being like this; they look mostly similar and it's probably difficult to differ between two from the same pokémon race unless you know them well.

Other animals, like dogs or cats or cows, they can have special patterns that makes their color and dots differ a lot even between siblings. I think Spinda are like those. A race that has large variation in its fur pattern.

The reason the games aren't showing much difference for most species is probably that it would be tedious to make so many different sprites when they could all be represented by one general sprite for each race. Just as most monsters or enemies in games are.

The anime shows some differences to point out especially important characters, such as different pikachu. But here too, it wouldn't serve any large purpose to differ between each and every pokémon drawn.

But if we are to theorize about a hypothetically real pokémon world, as we most often do in these theory discussions because it's more fun ;) then I believe what I said above.

Years
  • Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
    I think all pokémon have small differences in fur pattern and physiology, just like humans. Only, colors and patterns and shapes might not vary as much as it does for us.

Look at two tigers; they all have very similar stripes. Same with zebras, or the dots of two giraffes. They don't really vary much in color, only in position and perhaps a little in size or shape. I imagine most pokémon being like this; they look mostly similar and it's probably difficult to differ between two from the same pokémon race unless you know them well.

Other animals, like dogs or cats or cows, they can have special patterns that makes their color and dots differ a lot even between siblings. I think Spinda are like those. A race that has large variation in its fur pattern.

The reason the games aren't showing much difference for most species is probably that it would be tedious to make so many different sprites when they could all be represented by one general sprite for each race. Just as most monsters or enemies in games are.

The anime shows some differences to point out especially important characters, such as different pikachu. But here too, it wouldn't serve any large purpose to differ between each and every pokémon drawn.

But if we are to theorize about a hypothetically real pokémon world, as we most often do in these theory discussions because it's more fun ;) then I believe what I said above.
    I think you hit the nail on the head right here. I always assumed that there were very minor differences in Pokemon's skin/fur markings within a species- enough to give them individual characteristics, but not drastic enough that we'd get numerous sprites for each (or else we'd have a bunch more Spinda-like situations on our hands).

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were more differences between genders that we haven't seen yet, just because they'd be so tiny that we might not even notice. It would be nice to see each male and female counterpart have a more visible difference in their markings, rather than just a select number of Pokemon. Something as simple as adding larger spots like Vileplume, or different antenna lengths like Wooper is a small difference, but really adds a uniqueness between the two.

!Gambit

Pokemon Trainer Jessie Ryder
    Years
  • Chibi I have to agree, I think that's about it! My only inquiry is that in animals like zebras and tigers, they all tend to have a pretty similar color as well. Do you think that there are lighter and darker coat differences?

Back