• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Master?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    The Pokemon Master was basically the goal for Ash in the show and the "goal" for the players in the mainstream games. But the question still stands, Just what does it mean to be a "Pokemon Master"?

Of course we can't get the answer from the developers:
    "I'm very sorry, but the Pokémon Company does not answer questions of this nature. It is the intent of the Pokémon creators that such questions be left to the imaginations and interpretations of Pokémon fans, adding more excitement and mystery to the Pokémon universe."

We've seen a few in the show, Cynthia, Lance, maybe even Alder as well, just to name a few.

And in the games we've only seen one "Pokemon Master" in G/S/C and HG/SS in Red(Ash) Though I suppose Steven in Emerald could work as well.

So I'm wondering, what do you think it means to be a Pokemon Master? Just complete ones National Dex? Or beat the Pokemon League Champion? Both? Or maybe beat all the Frontier Brains, Complete ones National Dex, and beat the Pokemon League Champion? What do you think?

Also, like I said; In the games we've seen a Pokemon Master in Red(Ash) where is kind of the Pokemon Master of the Kanto region. But what about Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh? If we we're to battle the Hero from those games as "Pokemon Masters", what would their Pokemon teams be? And where would you battle them?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't think being a champion is all about being a master. You're just a champion. I mean in the anime, I don't think anyone referred to Cynthia/Lance as a Pokemon Master, just a champion. And I'm pretty sure Red and Steven were both just called Champions rather than actual master. Or Red was just called "Pokemon Trainer". I mean Champions means they're just really good at battling. That means we're excluding contest people and connoisseurs! I think they have the right to be a Pokemon Master too.

I think the game references this a lot about having connections with your Pokemon. I kind of like to think that's what a Pokemon Master should have. A strong connection with his/her Pokemon and a deep level of understanding. Sounds really cheesy since we're talking about a game here... I'd also like to think it's about passion for Pokemon in general. Think of it as a Pokemon Master would be a person who treats Pokemon as equals and lifelong friends rather than robots for battling.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Lance as a Pokemon Master, just a champion.

Actually, Lance was called a Pokemon Master in a Pokemon Chronicles episode.

That means we're excluding contest people and connoisseurs! I think they have the right to be a Pokemon Master too.

That's true too.

I think the game references this a lot about having connections with your Pokemon. I kind of like to think that's what a Pokemon Master should have. A strong connection with his/her Pokemon and a deep level of understanding. Sounds really cheesy since we're talking about a game here... I'd also like to think it's about passion for Pokemon in general. Think of it as a Pokemon Master would be a person who treats Pokemon as equals and lifelong friends rather than robots for battling.

This too I agree with. And Cynthia, Lance, and Wallace would all be examples.

Also, I get emotionally attached to my Pokemon too, so it's not cheesy.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • Sometimes I think that being a Pokemon Master is catching them all...which if Pokemon was real would be totally unrealistic. I think a true Pokemon master is ultimately raising happy Pokemon and building true friendships with them. If you become a strong trainer inside and out, you will become a Pokemon Master.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • To me, a Pokemon master is someone who cares about Pokemon and knows each of their Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses so that they can be brought to their full potential.

Silence Rewritten

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • To me it's catching all the Pokémon, beating the champion, winning all the Pokémon contests and completing all the sidequests. That right there completes the game, and I become a Pokémon Master! (At least in my mind.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I read an article about this so many years ago that shaped my answer as to what a Pokemon Master really is. The answer given in the article was that a Pokemon Master was a person with a deep understanding of Pokemon, treating them with respect. Anybody could win every battle/contest and catch all the Pokemon, but not everybody treats Pokemon with respect.

Granted, the article was mainly talking about the anime, but it could apply to everything else. Especially with the dialogue in the games that the player should be friends with their Pokemon and treat them with respect.

Back