• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon move limits and HMs

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
  • Hey guys.

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before but as I've been away for a few years I'm sure you can forgive me :-)

I've always had a problem with the 4 move limit in pokemon games. (Gameboy, DS, 3DS)

To clarify, I do NOT have a problem with pokemon being allowed only four moves in combat. My issue is with pokemon only being able to remember four moves period!

The reason I take issue with this is mainly due to the need for HM moves in order to progress in the game. HM moves are generally locked in until you find the move deleter and essentially either force you to give up one slot in your pokemon's moveset or give up one pokemon to be an "HM slave".

Personally this makes gameplay really annoying and breaks immersion for me.

However I do have a solution and would appreciate your thoughts on it.
    What if a pokemon was allowed to remember every move they ever learnt, including any HM or TMs you teach them, BUT just before a battle you would have to select only four of those moves to use IN THE BATTLE itself! Or the game could just have a separate list for each pokemon that you could configure, namely a "MOVE LIST" and a separate "BATTLE MOVE LIST"...that you could pre-configure to avoid having to choose four moves for each pokemon before each battle.

So, for example, one of my pokemon would remember the HM move FLASH and be able to use it whenever I enter a dark cave..... However, whenever I battle with that pokemon I would be able to swap out FLASH for one of the other moves in its move pool that it previously learnt... Eg.. ICE BEAM

How does that sound?

Please feel free to add to or correct my thinking.

Cheers

:-)

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
    Years
  • Thanks for the reply classic.

Would it be possible to hack a system like this into a firered rom for example?

I don't know too much about hacking itself but I did see some firered hacks that were able to implement newer systems like splitting the physical/special attacks.

Just curious.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Thanks for the reply classic.

Would it be possible to hack a system like this into a firered rom for example?

I don't know too much about hacking itself but I did see some firered hacks that were able to implement newer systems like splitting the physical/special attacks.

Just curious.
    I don't know if it's possible to implement this in a ROM, but there's a fangame named Super Pokemon Eevee Edition that managed to do something like this.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
    Years
  • I will be checking that game out for sure :-)

I don't think that this would be a hard system to implement into a future game. There is already some kind off invisible list thats tracking when each pokemon is supposed to learn their moves....

Heres hoping!

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    With this system, we could do away with the whole decision on whether you want to learn a new move or skip it, which in my opinion, would make leveling up much less annoying.

I also get tired of having to catch a whole bunch of Luvdiscs every time I want to try a new moveset out (and then having to catch even more if I don't like it and want to change back to what I had before,) so this would definitely be a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
    Years
  • I agree 100% Cat

If they feel that being able to customize your pokemon's moveset would provide an unfair advantage in any way then they could easily raise the difficulty at each gym to compensate. Also allow gym leaders/elite four to change up their movesets to keep things even more unpredictable.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I agree 100% Cat

If they feel that being able to customize your pokemon's moveset would provide an unfair advantage in any way then they could easily raise the difficulty at each gym to compensate. Also allow gym leaders/elite four to change up their movesets to keep things even more unpredictable.
    Well, they could make it so that you can't change your moves in battle. That'll keep things balanced.

Back