• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Moves

LugiaFreak

Years
  • I'm writing a fic that has no trainers or trainer battles. Would it make sense for me to still have the names of moves in my story? There's a part where a mother Blaziken is teaching her chicks to use Ember... Should I call it Ember or something like, 'breathing a stream of flames'?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    If it's in first person you can leave the creative freedom up to you, as perhaps Blazeiken might call it something else (unless if she was previously trained).

If the story is in third person, then it more likely should be called Ember, or at least something similar to it like 'a move causing flames'.

Just my thoughts anyway :)

killin_kobra

Pokemon Ruler
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    I'd still use the move names, as it's the only way you can tell exactly which move it is. They use the move names on the Mystery Dungeon Anime, and it makes sense

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'd still use the move names, as it's the only way you can tell exactly which move it is.

Not necessarily. For example, if you have an ekans twist itself around an opponent and squeeze for a long period of time, it's pretty clear that it's using Wrap. Likewise, if a growlithe shoots off a jet of flames, it's usually understood that's Flamethrower, and small balls of flame thrown at the enemy is usually known to be Ember. It all depends on how you actually go about describing the move.

That said, to the OP, it's really up to you if the move name is actually being used in dialogue. (As in, if the blaziken is saying to her children, "I'm going to teach you this move called Ember.") I agree with Feign in that it might be called something else because the ones who give moves the names we know are people. As in, a person looks at the volley of flames and calls it Ember, but for all we know, the wild torchic knows it as Taio'cha. On the other hand, given that you're using translated speech anyway (as in, torchic speech is in English to us), you can still get away with just calling it Ember. Additionally, you can also get away with saying that the moves are specific techniques that each have names, so it would make sense for a pokémon to actually name what they're doing.

Sorry if that made no sense whatsoever. I could try to find a way to explain it a bit more clearly if all I've managed to do is confuse you.

LugiaFreak

Years
  • No, I get what you're saying. I think just to make sure people know what I'm talking about, I'll go ahead and name the moves.

Thanks for your help ^^

Back