• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon MUSH (PokeMUSH) Pre-Development Research

Years
    I like this idea; it seems to be a good way to set up a complex and engaging game without the and hindrances that make other online Pokemon games (MMOS and the like) unsuccessful. The issue with this is, yeah, the whole age group thing, and that the vast majority of Pokemon fans would not want to play an entirely text-based game.

That being said, I would reccommend that you establish a simple battle system, to give the game structure; if you just implemented hitpoints, a method of gaining experience and leveling up, and type matchups, then it would make it function more like a Pokemon game but not so much that it detracts from the roleplaying aspect. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking-- I dunno, it just feels better to have really achieved something concrete after roleplaying. My two cents.

It still sounds cool, though. Perhaps I'll check it out later. :3

Vchat20

[PAM] Founder/Coder
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 19, 2009
    Yeah, the basic combat system idea is actually a good one and will definitely be worth checking out. :) Though at the advice of someone else, I'm probably also going to squeeze in a 'scene judging for points' system at some point to aid that concern.

As for the age group thing, I'm not too concerned. This is a BIG fanbase and worthy of tapping into. There's got to be quite a number out there who have the attention span, patience, and interest in such a thing. ;)

Right now we are probably in need of newbie helpers more than anything if just to have someone available to help new players through character generation and any other help they need. Right now it's just myself and my co-admin, Sammie, and seeing as we got flooded with...*counts*...20 players since my first update posting here, need a load off. >.>

That said, things seem to be going decently so far. Could use more roleplay and plot brainstorming, but we're only a week old or so. "Rome wasn't built in a day" as they say. :)

Vchat20

[PAM] Founder/Coder
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 19, 2009
    Just as another update and not a deliberate double-post: We are currently in the midst of developing an active plot arc which has already slowly begun out in the open. This is most likely going to end up with some Team Rocket involvement, a chance for dedicated players to pull NPC positions during this time, and a further buildout after the finale of the plot arc from the west entrance to Cerulean where it's blocked currently out to as far as Vermilion and St. Anne to the south and Bills Cottage and possibly the rock tunnel to the north (this depends on how much work the builders want to do and if future plots dictate any hard barriers).

We'd really be glad if some additional people could join and show up and really give this upcoming arc some mobility. :)

(As far as the overall status of the game: I think it is safe to put it in a 'Release Candidate' state as a lot of the remaining bugs have been hammered out. It's solid enough to get really rolling.)

Back