• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

KaptainKaty

Tony Stark's Wife
Years
  • So I've been considering getting Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but I don't know which one to get. I hear a lot of great things about the game. Any suggestions on which should be my first one?

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • Try Explorers of Sky. It's the re-released version of Explorers of Time/Darkness with some cool new chapters to the story.

WARNING: The last hours of the game will make you cry.

Cid

Years
  • I remember crying after beating PMD Red, and again after PMD Time. But I guess it depends on the person whether the game can do that to you emotionally or not.

I recommend PMD Red/Blue Rescue Team first. Because honestly, playing PMD2 Time/Darkness/Sky first will probably make the first one underwhelming for many. Unless you only plan to play one game, then play Sky. Besides, PMD Red/Blue may be hard to come by these days.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I agree with Cid. First you might want to get Red or Blue Rescue Team before getting new ones. It's fun to play old ones first and then you can see what things have changed compared to newer one.

KaptainKaty

Tony Stark's Wife
    Years
  • I got Sky today and its pretty hard haha I am not used to the mechanics. Are they easier in Blue/Red?

Amu

remember who the real enemy is
    Years
  • If I had to choose which I'd like to play again, it'd be Blue. The 'original' MD.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • well, since you are just beginning, i recommend you to try out the newer games first. Red/Blue will be your bet. You know, get yourself acquainted with the mechanics of the game. If you finished the game, let's say 3-4 times, you can move on to fourth gen PMD. I recommend Sky, which is basically Dark and Time combined + some few nice quirks like the Spinda Bar, and more post-game story.

But, if you want to play it only one time, you gotta go with sky. It's my fave PMD so far.

Years
  • Trust me, you'll get used to the game mechanics soon enough. :> Keep in mind that the game is turn-based just like the mainstream ones, and you should also know that some moves will hit in different ways. Like Quick Attack can hurt a Pokemon 2 grids (spaces) ahead of you. And some moves (like Water Gun) can cut corners. When learning a new move, you can check its information on how it hits opponents. Oh, and if dungeon exploring is too tedious, you can change the speed to fast (which I highly recommend, heh).

FrozenQuilava

Aspiring Trainer
    Years
  • WARNING: The last hours of the game will make you cry.

That was what I liked about Explorers of Time And Darkness/Sky. They have much more emotional depth than the core games. In truth I came very close to crying on my first play-through of Darkness.

I would start off playing red or blue. They will get you used to the style of play. After playing Darkness, I am not able to play Red/Blue very much anymore because I am used to the story depth that is present within the later games.

miltankRancher

Years
  • That was what I liked about Explorers of Time And Darkness/Sky. They have much more emotional depth than the core games. In truth I came very close to crying on my first play-through of Darkness.

I would start off playing red or blue. They will get you used to the style of play. After playing Darkness, I am not able to play Red/Blue very much anymore because I am used to the story depth that is present within the later games.

This. Mystery Dungeon series has by far the most emotional of all Pokemon games, mainly because you're playing as one of them. Once you get used to teh MD system, and such, I am pretty sure you will find it a good play everytime you play.

The fourth gen are way better than the third gen PMD.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Are you familiar with the game style? The games are roguelikes, which pretty much means that dungeon areas consist of randomly-generated areas that you explore and fight in a turn-based fashion...

I recommend if you want to pick up one of the games, you should probably pick up Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky...
    Because this version is the same as Explorers of Time/Darkness, but it has new events and some extra things you can do post-game.

So you get the most for your money.

WARNING: The last hours of the game will make you cry.

Awe, you weren't supposed to say anything about that... So that it would come as a surprise to him/her.

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    Honestly, you can skip Red and Blue they're good, but the post-game is really disappointing.
    Start with Explorers of Time.

miltankRancher

Years
  • Honestly, you can skip Red and Blue they're good, but the post-game is really disappointing.
    Start with Explorers of Time.

Agreed. There's not much that you can do with Red and Blue's post-game story. I mean, yes you get the chance to recruit all those legendaries, Buried Relic, Gengar's background, and such. But not much else. In fact, you could have gotten all through the game without needing to do the post-game (except the Gengar. That was a truly shocking story.) In Sky, however, everything else is in the post-game. Darkrai and Cresselia are awesome.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • The games have nothing to do with each other though... :P

So you wouldn't miss anything except what the first game played like.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    I love me some PMD. Only get it if you like grinding and fetch quests.

Back