• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon of the Year [PotY] 2008 .:. Discussion Thread

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Pokemon of the Year [PotY] - 2008

Introduction

Welcome everyone! This is the 'Pokemon of the Year [PotY]' thread. The year of 2008 is soon coming to an end, and I know everyone has that one special Pokemon that has saved them a lot of times. This is the thread to discuss what Pokemon and why should become the first Pokemon of the Year!

Rules
    Everyone(hopefully) should be familiar with the rules by now, so please keep it the discussion politely. Here are a list of rules I have made to follow this thread's needs:

• Keep things nice.
    • If this does comes to an argument please put them in PM's to keep this thread neat, and not filled with spam.
    • If need be, I will have a moderator close this thread (if need be of course).
    • Please choose only one Pokemon.

Deadline

The deadline will be December 28th. From there we will have an open poll of the top three candidates for the PotY '08.

Voting Form:

In your post, please state your candidate in the middle of your post, bigger than the other words; that way myself and others could see which Pokemon you chose.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Lol, I hope this was approved.

First post, I think Pikachu and many starters are overused, you know? In my opinion, we should eliminate Pikachu and common starters.

I would also suggest Feraligatr but of course, maybe no one will agree ;_;.

Last edited:

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    I'm suggesting Hitmonchan, Swampert and/or Togekiss. Those 3 pokes saved my butt so many times. May it be from some timely hax, my unpredictable Countercoating roar set (before anyone used Roar on Swampert) or just being awesome and late game sweeping like no other.

Last edited:

Ryuu Akamatsu

Oh yeeeah!
    Years
    I suggest Gardevoir. From the moment I saw Wally catch a Ralts, (the very first time too! D<) I absolutely loved this Pokemon. It's saved my ass so many times, I can't even begin to count them! It's a great Pokemon, it's got a great design, you really connect with it and it's oh so satisfying when you finally catch it after an hour of searching for just one!

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2010
    Tauros

- The reason I chose not to catch Snorlax
    - My saviour from many tough or enduring battles
    - Fast and strong, keeps it simple
    - Looks really cool

Chomplax

- The pokemon I fantasised about for years before Nintendo decided to make him, of course it wasn't exactly as I imagined him but still
    - Looks really cool

Red Gyarados from G/S/C and Alternative Snorlax from R/B/Y

- The HM kings. Never forgot a HM-dedicated pokemon again, and were
    - Pretty good in a fight too and they
    - Look really cool

Electrivire

- The pokemon we've been crying out for for ages. An Electabuzz that can put up a good fight and still
    - Looks really cool

Arceus

- Simply the best
    - Unobtainable, desirable, and, of course, it
    - Looks really cool

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Umm Bidoof.
    It has lived through the hatred of almost every Pokemon fan in the world for a while and deserves credit for being everybody's favorite HM Slave.

VOTE 1 BIDOOF FOR POTY

Years
    I say Magcargo, he needs some publicity.

He did decent in my short spree on shoddy, brilliant for its tier.

Or Typhlosion, just because its teh PwnZ0RZ.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I'm... not totally against an idea like this, even though it is awfully similar to the What's your favourite Pokémon thread >_> . But I think it'd be extremely hard to come up with a winner based on discussion only, there needs to be some kind of voting form as well. That way, you can still debate about why you're voting for a certain Pokémon, but the final result won't be left up to somebody trying to interpret paragraphs of discussion.

I'm locking this thread temporarily (maybe) until you add in a voting form. Just drop me a PM or visitor message once you've done it~

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    My vote is for a great contest and battling Pokemon. It is my favorite pokemon of them all.

Roserade

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    I'm not sure I agree with Bidoof but Bibarel is extremely underrated, he was almost everyone's HM slave but he can pull off a lot of fun sets with Unaware and Simple. Plus he's a beaver!
    Ugh... Bibarel is so incredibly overrated it's not funny. Its abilities sound great on paper, but for that matter anything can tear through Bibarel like tissues. Bad stats and a poor movepool (Curse and Calm Mind are the only means of attacking stat boosts, and even then they're succeptable to strong Fighting, Grass, and Electric moves; on the defensive spectrum there's Curse, Defense Roll, Amnesia, and Calm Mind... why can't it just learn Cosmic Power?)

As for my vote, I think it's gonna go to Articuno- good at taking hits in UU and delivering them. If we had DPP's moves (minus SR) and RBY's battle system, Articuno would be so incredibly OU... or at least BL.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Ugh... Bibarel is so incredibly overrated it's not funny. Its abilities sound great on paper, but for that matter anything can tear through Bibarel like tissues. Bad stats and a poor movepool (Curse and Calm Mind are the only means of attacking stat boosts, and even then they're succeptable to strong Fighting, Grass, and Electric moves; on the defensive spectrum there's Curse, Defense Roll, Amnesia, and Calm Mind... why can't it just learn Cosmic Power?)

As for my vote, I think it's gonna go to Articuno- good at taking hits in UU and delivering them. If we had DPP's moves (minus SR) and RBY's battle system, Articuno would be so incredibly OU... or at least BL.

Have you ever used Bibarel before? The Simple, Swagger/Taunt/Super Fang set, almost always takes down a wall or two and it can stop sweeps from pokemon like Gyarados who have gotten one or two too many DD's going for it.
    I always thought it was horrible until I tried it out on my UU team and never looked back.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
    Shuckle

The reason why I love Shuckle so much is for how well it can annoy. When it has Toxic, rest and Protect, this thing can be a menace! I also love how innocent and absent minded Shuckle looks, as I know what it really acts like underneath that shell.
    Maybe people disagree for Shuckle's low base HP, but I love the thing so much that I just can't help but give it a hand in winning POTY.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    A lot of these votes are really weird. Bibarel isn't threatening in the least, and Articuno was never mega OU =P. Nevertheless, I vote good old Tyranitar for Pokemon of the Year. Not only is it completely unpredictable, but it's got incredibly high stats making is near uber in terms of power. It's sheer unpredictability and overwhelming power makes it almost impossible to stop without a full fledged counter. Dark/Rock has incredible coverage, and Tyranitar's STAB's Crunch and Stone Edge are the best moves in their respective typing. Although his Speed lets him down, SpD boost form the Sandstorm and his already excellent 404/350 maxed physical defenses is very impressive.

Back