• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Personalities. (looking for advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    I joined a PKMN RP site. They have a made up water-lizard pokemon that I got for my starter. Since I don't have a clear picture of what it looks like in my head I'm finding it hard to roleplay. :/ I can't imagine what kind of personality it has--normally it's not so hard for me to pick something! I've really never done much animal RPing, and RPing the pokemon is pretty much the same thing to me. Does any one have any suggestions for a personality for him (it's a him). Or any other advice for Pokemon RPing? I'm not experienced...

And I hope this is in the right place ^^"

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • I think this thread would get more replies if it was in the Pokemon Roleplay section. ^^ Members there should also be able to give you advice and help on general RP tactics. So I'll move it there for ya~ :3

*moves*

~Kelsey

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Erm, I think it would be better off in the lounge, but oh well.

Perhaps he could have a sort of wary attitude, a sarcastic and indifferent outlook on life?

And, as for RPing tips, just do what goes naturally with you and type anything you think people need to know as for what your character is doing, and how your character does it.

Describing where your character is in the first post helps as well. Lengthy posts aren't always the most impressive posts, remember that well. Quality AND Quantity make a really good RP post, but Quality still rules over Quantity, as long as it's not a one-liner. < < Then Quantity helps.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Bell said:
    Perhaps he could have a sort of wary attitude, a sarcastic and indifferent outlook on life?

Know what? I forgot to mention that he was shiny. Yes! I've got it now. The other pokemon she asked to see was also a shiny. He can be a little insecure, since I'm sure he was afraid she would pick the other creature. And he can be very proud that she did pick him instead of the fire pokemon. He can take pride in the fact that she needs him--he'll be helping her catch other pokemon. WOOT. And he can be proud that he's a shiny. If another pokemon marvels over his coloring I can have him take pride in that. But I don't want him getting too arrogant. I'll have Maxine be sparce with her compliments about his colors so he'll still be trying to please her a lot.

Would that work? XD I gave in and forced myself to do a training post on the site I'm at. I didn't do much with the pokemon, but since you said that it sparked that idea out of me. WEEEE! I think that will work!

Bell said:
    And, as for RPing tips, just do what goes naturally with you and type anything you think people need to know as for what your character is doing, and how your character does it.

Describing where your character is in the first post helps as well. Lengthy posts aren't always the most impressive posts, remember that well. Quality AND Quantity make a really good RP post, but Quality still rules over Quantity, as long as it's not a one-liner. < < Then Quantity helps.

Thank you, that's very good advice. I will! Thanks for sparking that idea for me. :D

xxxSakura

桜の姫 ♡ Formely xoxkris
    Years
  • I have more. You ought to make your character's history or anything look interesting. If you incldue Pokemon, it would be best to describe them well, if they stand out from any other Pokemon,e tc ^^

Oh and check spelling too ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    xoxkris said:
    I have more. You ought to make your character's history or anything look interesting. If you incldue Pokemon, it would be best to describe them well, if they stand out from any other Pokemon,e tc ^^

Oh and check spelling too ;)

Thanks! I'll do that. I did end up writing a long thing for his personality, that sort of includes history. ^^"

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Oh, I wouldn't combine personality and history, because then it makes your history smaller and your personality huge. < <;; You want to even it out so it looks like you spent an even amount of time on each little subject. Cept those one word things, like age, or name. xDD Those don't count.

xxxSakura

桜の姫 ♡ Formely xoxkris
    Years
  • I actually asked him to balance it :) I didnt say it have to long anyway, because sometimes a character's personality linked to its history, or something like that :))

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Yeah, I was finding it hard to seperate. But a lot of people don't even bother to write about their pokemon's personality and history, it's not a requirement. My character on the site is a fire trainer called Maxine. We can't RP the pokemon as our characters, but when you're doing a pokemon RP, the pokemon play a part. I like RPing the pokemon too--getting into it's head a little like I would any character. So that's what I wanted to do. But it wasn't something I'd done before so I was struggling. XD I think my first post with him turned out nicely. I named him Blueberry after the Blueberry Fields where they're training.

It's for Humboldt Atari if anyone is interested. Log in as 'guest' (username and password) I think it's a cute site.

The admin's away but there's moderators that RP wild pokemon.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • *Cough* I think advertising other forums with direct hyper links is forbidden outside of signatures. Maybe you ought to remove that link? Just don't want you to get in trouble over something silly like that. ^^

Anyways, I do agree with Bell. This kind of topic should go into the RP Lounge, but since that place is about as lively and active as the city morgue, it might actually be more productive here.

That aside, yes, combining personality and history is generally not a good idea. I can see why you would do that if you've got say...a trainer with a team of multiple pokémon to begin with (As proper history and personality fields would really make it humungous) but it usually leads to one side getting dwarfed by the other. Good on you for taking the initiative of details, though. Mindless drone pokémon are the bane of good RPing. >.< Incidentally, the proud ones are often fun to play, I'd suggest making one of your trainer's later catches the type to poke fun at the proud little thing to lighten things up and bring in a little change. Conflicting personalities make room for variety. ^^

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back