• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Phases gone too far?

PokemonTrainerApril

Bobo is a cool Swampert!
Years
  • Sure, there was a time that I loved Pokemon.
    Then there was a time that I eat, breethe, and sleep Pokemon.
    Even worse, there was a time that I despised Pokemon.
    Sad eh?

So hence, I present a true short story about my history with Pokemon.
    Once upon a time, in the year 1998, I was 12 years old. All the middle schoolers in my middle school despised Pokemon, but I loved it courtesy of my (at the time) 1st grade brother.
    My bro and I had Red, Blue, and Yellow. We just loved it so much.
    Years past, and with the childhood obsession that defined a generation came and gone, so did our obsession.
    It was in late 2005 where my bro and I decided to rejump on the Pokemon Band Wagon. We got Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Ruby, and Sapphire.
    My bro slowly pulled away once again, but I still kept on it until a few days ago. I joined this forum, I got two Mytery Dungeon Games, Emerald, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Collesium, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Pearl, Diamond, and Silver (maybe more than those). I even formed a three person Pokemon fan club in my college years.
    There's the short version for you. Through out those years between 1998 and now, I went through what I called "Pokemon phases" There were times I hated it to the point of selling a couple Pokemon Games here and there. There were also times I was so paranoid of hacked Pokemon because I wanted to go professional. There were times I just wanted to be a casual Pokemon Trainer.
    Now, it's December 26th 2008. Systems got more complex and technological. 10 years has past since our innocent days, and now, my bro is a greatly mature 15 years old. I am 22. My bro wanted to sell some games to get more games for his PS3, Wii, and XBox360. He gave me an evil glare as we stared at the remaining Pokemon games. He got mad, and I mean FURIOUS! It was due to the fact of the Pokemon games we knew he KNEW I was going to want to get again once sold.
    Does money grow on trees? I beleive NOT! It is these "Pokemon phases" that upset me greatly. He claims that I only buy Pokemon games because it has "Pokemon" in it. Well, he's right. I wouldn't deny such a thing. The fact that now, I can't decide what to do with them for me life annoys me greatly.
    I apoligize. I think typing out these feelings really helped me out. I needed to just pour them out. But why you may ask? It's only a video-game. It's also a great rpg of epic proportions. However, let's just emphasize the fact that it really is JUST a video-game. These phases are getting old. I just want to rid my body and spirit of everything Pokemon right now due to money, and uh...moodiness? Let's go with that.
    So now I ask you, the reader, a great question.

WHAT TO DO NOW?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to ban me from this forum if it's in the wrong section.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    oh........wow, I have never experienced the same pain as u did, u see I love pokemon so much that I have stuck with it ever since it first hit America. Now I am a 16 yr. old who still enjoys and sees fun in not only the games but the anime too......I say go with what your heart says, if u still have passion for it then why give up on it? But if yuo think it is really ur time to move on to bigger and better things, then go on right ahead...

like the saying goes: "One Door Closes, Another One Opens" am I right?

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
  • I think you should think it over slowly. From what I gathered, you like Pokemon but then got bored of it (which we all do) and then get into the phase again. It's not your fault It's just that you like Pokemon, simple. If you try to rid your body of liking Pokemon then the simple fact is that you'll be unhappy and you won't like it.

To put it simply just go with the flow and how your body feels, if you feel like playing Pokemon then grab it and play. I'm sure no one will hate you for that. Just satnd proud and tell your brother that you like Pokemon and that he's going to have to accept it. and why shouldn't he? He liked it once so he can't really complain.

It's not like Pokemon is drugs, It's just a fun RPG game that, yes, sometimes we might get bored of it and sometimes we love it, but that's no reason to think that Pokemon is bad for you and try and get your body to stop liking it because believe me you'll just end up unhappy.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I think you should think it over slowly. From what I gathered, you like Pokemon but then got bored of it (which we all do) and then get into the phase again. It's not your fault It's just that you like Pokemon, simple. If you try to rid your body of liking Pokemon then the simple fact is that you'll be unhappy and you won't like it.

To put it simply just go with the flow and how your body feels, if you feel like playing Pokemon then grab it and play. I'm sure no one will hate you for that. Just satnd proud and tell your brother that you like Pokemon and that he's going to have to accept it. and why shouldn't he? He liked it once so he can't really complain.

It's not like Pokemon is drugs, It's just a fun RPG game that, yes, sometimes we might get bored of it and sometimes we love it, but that's no reason to think that Pokemon is bad for you and try and get your body to stop liking it because believe me you'll just end up unhappy.

I could not have said it better myself...lol...

PokemonTrainerApril

Bobo is a cool Swampert!
    Years
  • My bro is NOT complaining whether or not I like Pokemon, he is upset that i'm so indescive on what to do with the games, well I guess i'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Oh well. Let me do some thinknig, and i'll get back to all of you. I need more responses. Thanks. I g2g so i'll explain the full story later today.

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
  • I just hope you think it through and you make the right decision. Remember, selling and buying games dosen't mean you're indecisive it just means you get bored of the game easily (doesn't everyone?)

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • It's not like Pokemon is drugs, It's just a fun RPG game that, yes, sometimes we might get bored of it and sometimes we love it, but that's no reason to think that Pokemon is bad for you and try and get your body to stop liking it because believe me you'll just end up unhappy.

I can't add much more than Sweet Speed. I understand your indecisiveness though. I've held on to everything Pokemon I have because of its nostalgic value to me. I could never get rid of my games. The only Pokemon merchandise I've ever gotten rid of were my cards; I gave them to my friend's younger brother and when he got older he gave them to his younger sister. I've loved Pokemon since the day it came to America. I go through the phases just as you do, in fact most of us do. Sometimes I get this huge urge to play the games, but once I turn them on, I just get bored. So I watch the anime or come on here to talk Pokemon. I don't think I'll ever stop liking Pokemon. Even if I go through these phases of Pokemon boredom, it doesn't matter. I'll stick with it.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Firstly, talk it over. And because he's your brother, prioritize his needs rather than yours. Find another way to earn money to buy your brother's Xbox or whatever it is. And Pokemon is not just a game, it's THE game. Remember that.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • Maybe you could find a compromise? If you want to keep the games, and he wants to sell them, maybe you could keep the ones you like to play the most, and let him sell the others.

PokemonTrainerApril

Bobo is a cool Swampert!
    Years
  • No offence to anyone on this board. I honestly read all of the posts. I think i'm going to request to lock this thread. Why? People are confusing me. I'm sorry everyone who replied here. I'm really really SORRY!

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Get yourself a grip dude. Just choose the best advice and viola! It's done.

I agree...u wanted help and we all tried to give u the best advice on what to do...and basically we all said the same things...so don't get too confused and try not to think to hard...just do what u think it right...

what else can u do?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Tell him that the games on those systems suck.

Umm, I don't know what to tell you. Don't you have other games to sell? FireRed and LeafGreen are worth the sell...the others...I'd keep. ;]

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I have also been loyal since they first hit the states and never went through phases. I mean, I did collect the cards and then hated them and also hated people knowing I liked it but never hated Pokemon as a franchise.

Back