• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Present of Future

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    Also if you need tilesets, I've got plenty of those. Just thought you might be interested to change the old GBA look and make it more like D/P.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    tile creation is not my strong point, although I can do slight editing that causes a more conventional use, and to change the tileset, both I and mini poliwag would have to change the tilesets, so I think changing the tiles would be good, but it would take a little bit of time and testing to make sure that it will work, and right now I have to juggle mapping, school, a research project, and other activities, which together consume almost all of my time. So changing the tilesets is a good idea, but not at the moment

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Yay another no nothing kid jumping in at the deep end...ok maybe that was a bit harsh, i remember doing that when i was starting out, the truth is 80% of game makers start out like this wanting to copy the official regions and make a similar story to the anime, the problem is you don't know how much work your making for yourself, first you got about 7-9 regions to map, which will take a long time (remember it takes Nintendo a few years to release one region and they have a huge team working on them), second you have to keep the audience interested in the game, can you really make a single plot that will be long and exciting enough to last over 7 regions, or can you make a different plot for each region that won't end up been boring or repetitive, if I'm honest i don't think you could do it, i don't think anyone here could do it, i don't even think Nintendo could do it, you really have jumped into the deep end with this, and how long have you been in development with this, i myself am creating a Harry Potter RPG and it has been in planning for the last 4-5 months, with a lot done but still nothing really to show(mostly working on scripts and stuff), it looks to me like you just opened up your program and made a few maps(which are too big regardless of what you might think), also saying that because you are 14 you don't have to spell properly just proves how uncommitted to the game you really are, if your serious about making a game you should want to improve yourself to make it the best it can be instead of getting angry at everyone, the purpose of this section is for people to give constructive criticism, and like you when i received some for my first game i was upset that people weren't getting super excited about my awesome new game(which in truth wasn't much different from yours), so i fought to prove them wrong and started on Pokémon: Legend of the three dogs ,which really put my skills to the test and for the time it was in development i was congratulated on my work because i was listening to the advice i was given from other members (even if some of it wasn't what i wanted to hear) so just listen to the advice/criticisms given weather you agree or not because these guys have been doing this for a long time and are good at it, and if you do soon you'll be good to and you'll look back at this and ask yourself "What was i thinking?", i know i still do.
    [/End Rant]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Yay another no nothing kid jumping in at the deep end...ok maybe that was a bit harsh, i remember doing that when i was starting out, the truth is 80% of game makers start out like this wanting to copy the official regions and make a similar story to the anime, the problem is you don't know how much work your making for yourself, first you got about 7-9 regions to map, which will take a long time (remember it takes Nintendo a few years to release one region and they have a huge team working on them), second you have to keep the audience interested in the game, can you really make a single plot that will be long and exciting enough to last over 7 regions, or can you make a different plot for each region that won't end up been boring or repetitive, if I'm honest i don't think you could do it, i don't think anyone here could do it, i don't even think Nintendo could do it, you really have jumped into the deep end with this, and how long have you been in development with this, i myself am creating a Harry Potter RPG and it has been in planning for the last 4-5 months, with a lot done but still nothing really to show(mostly working on scripts and stuff), it looks to me like you just opened up your program and made a few maps(which are too big regardless of what you might think), also saying that because you are 14 you don't have to spell properly just proves how uncommitted to the game you really are, if your serious about making a game you should want to improve yourself to make it the best it can be instead of getting angry at everyone, the purpose of this section is for people to give constructive criticism, and like you when i received some for my first game i was upset that people weren't getting super excited about my awesome new game(which in truth wasn't much different from yours), so i fought to prove them wrong and started on Pokémon: Legend of the three dogs ,which really put my skills to the test and for the time it was in development i was congratulated on my work because i was listening to the advice i was given from other members (even if some of it wasn't what i wanted to hear) so just listen to the advice/criticisms given weather you agree or not because these guys have been doing this for a long time and are good at it, and if you do soon you'll be good to and you'll look back at this and ask yourself "What was i thinking?", i know i still do.
    [/End Rant]

I feel liek this is meant fore me as well, since I sort-of did that, rushing into making a Pokemon game, not know what i was really getting into,

But im getting off topic

but seriously, you can't get pissy just because some critics your work, i know sometime sit my hurt i been in your shoes, i know how it might feel, but they are just doing whats natural, even though the critics might seem harsh, they are just giving their honest opinion at of their best interest.

And not only that but the way you stated your age and your English skills like that:

ill do what i like, if i want to head into a game with no proper information on how to create one if i like, im 14 for gods sake.

and i am rubbish at grammar and stuff
    i got a D in my last test.

seems to show alittle bit of a sign of immaturity, again no offense, but it doesn't matter what your age or how well your grammar is and pretty much no really cares :/

now for the maps, what are they so huge? Espically Viridian City and Pallet, know you wanted a game to be like the anime, but don't ever remember Viridian being that big, and why is there so many houses in Viridian, it looks like you took a handful of house sprites ( the same sprite i might add) and just randomly tossed them onto the map, like a paint canvas, and what i most definitely don't understand is the empty meadow at the bottom, whats that for? It really doesn't need to be so big, and Route 1 whats with the small bushes of grass? If your attempting to put Pokemon in that map, don't you think their gonna be alittle bit hard to find in just one spot of tall grass? gonna have to keeping exiting and entering just to find Pokemon

And the Plot, uh.......mysterious artifact? you could atleast told us what it was, and the whole Cyborg Pokemon thing, yea its nothing new at all

mini poliwag

JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer
    Years
    i dont want to give too much away with the artifact thing as that is the main plot
    (to find out what happened)
    but thanks for the advice

and i only mentioned the age and grammar thing cause i hate that sort of criticism
    yer no the editing the post thing.

and the spelling, i never said anything about my spelling, care to point it out for me.
    (any spelling mistakes ive made are cause im talking internet slang or typos)
    and if i wish i will head out to make a large game. its not like its against the law.
    but thanks for the advice, ill give you rep

Years
    Ok.. you guys need to seriously chill out.
    This is the kids first game, you can obviusly tell he isn't to experienced with it.
    The game is gonna take some time, you shouldn't be going knocking him and saying his game sucks.
    I am staff of PTLW and why would someone want to play his game over TLW?
    maybe because he'll keep us updated and it will be completed before TLW.
    That's why. I would most certainly play his if it came out.
    Some people are just such jerks, i don't get it...

Mini poliwag your maps are to blank like they said.
    To much open space.
    I suggest converting to D/P style.
    Keep it up man

mini poliwag

JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer
    Years
    yes thank you for that blazers its hard to get motivated with all bad comments

and i have issued to get the maps filled in a bit to pikastorm i ought to send the D/P tiles to him as well.

Years
    Minipoliwag, it might help your case if you'd respond to criticisms such as

"The map looks empty"

with: "It's like that because..."
    Or "I didn't think of that; I'll fix it"

rather than:
    "Not everything has to have a point!!" etc

While I agree it's not "against the law" for you to make a big game, you posted your game here for people to see and play. You should take the concerns of your audience more seriously if you expect people to like what you make. After all, if Nintendo never took ito account what players want to see in their pokemon games, not very many people would be playing them, would they?

You might also consider looking at the other games on this board. Not only can you learn from them, but by posting comments on other games you'll encourage other people to take a look at yours.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I was going to make offensive comments about how generic this looks until I saw Sphere. So now, I'm not so worried.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    by the way, who made that tileset? (so we can give credit), I'm pretty sure it is you, dragochamp, but I just want to make sure

Those are various tiles I put together from the sinnoh tiles from Kyledove's public sheet. The blue Pokemon Centre is my little modification though, also the Cave Tiles sheet has few tiles I made an few from thedudemister.

mini poliwag

JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer
    Years
    i agree that "not everything has a point" was a bad comment to make and i am starting to take everyones views into consideration now and i have added a new feature to the first post.

and what do you mean until i saw sphere?

and has anyone heard of "2 for flinching"
    i doubt it.

Years
    I don't see what flinching has to do with anything. I have heard of it but you're not using it properly, or at least you're not making the context clear. It's supposed to be used thusly:

I pretend like I'm going to hit you hard but I hit you softly. Because you flinched, however, I hit you hard a second time for your cowardice. As in, you would have got it once, but now it's two for flinching.

You haven't threatened anyone, so there was no reason for anyone to proverbally flinch. Please clarify what you mean.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    Ok.. you guys need to seriously chill out.
    This is the kids first game, you can obviusly tell he isn't to experienced with it.
    The game is gonna take some time, you shouldn't be going knocking him and saying his game sucks.
    I am staff of PTLW and why would someone want to play his game over TLW?
    maybe because he'll keep us updated and it will be completed before TLW.
    That's why. I would most certainly play his if it came out.
    Some people are just such jerks, i don't get it...

Mini poliwag your maps are to blank like they said.
    To much open space.
    I suggest converting to D/P style.
    Keep it up man

Technically were just commenting on his negative retaliating on our opinions of there game at the beginning of the thread, but i guess your right

Sorry, MiniPolli

Awan

Graphic Designer
    Years
    Good luck on your games mini poliwag, PM me if you need help on tileset, I can help you a bit but not full time haha. One more thing why use Sphere?

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
    The maps that are already on the front page are being redone so that they are more realistic to erosion, deforestation, forest restoration, and population increase that all take place over time

mini poliwag

JUGLEFV Ultra Trainer
    Years
    hello everyone, sorry for not posting but ive been busy
    the front page will be updated with the new maps today.

and the flinching thing wasn't a threat i was just thinking it would be funny if i put that in game. what we call "2 for flinching" here in england is when you make someone flinch for any reason you can punch them on the arm twice. and u no when u use certain move it says they flinched and then they dont attack; well u get to hit the two more times.

im not going to put this in though my freinds just suggested it. lol.

oh and a message to awan
    the d/p tiles that dragochamp sent me dont work with the map editor we use (rmxp) can u tell us y
    and we use sphere cause its a lot more flexible.

Back