• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Pronunciation!

Smallbirdie

Lurker Extraordinaire!
Years
  • IT'S CALLED A "GLI-GAR"? I'VE BEEN PRONOUNCING IT "GIL-GAR" FOR YEARS!

I've got a 4 year old, and at the thrift store we found and bought a VHS copy of "Pokemon the Johto Journeys: Crimson Warrior" (featuring Gold & Silver Pokemon! Ooooh!). We just popped it in the VCR. It's got Gligar and Gligar Man in it (I've never this episode before) and when they introduced him I realized how dyslexic I've been! I've see it a thousand times, and I've always said Gil-gar.

Aw hell! They just did "Who's That Pokemon?" I said, "Oh, that's Mareep". No, it's not Mare-ep, it's Ma-reep!

Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I pronounced Arceus as "Ars-eus" using an S sounding for a long time until I saw the 12th movie. \; I guess it's quite easy to get mixed up with the pronunciation of names if you've only read them.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I've always said Gli-gar. As long as that "i" sounds like an "i" rather than an "ee".

I done the same with Arceus. I used to pronounce Dialga "die-alga". There's loads, but I can't remember them anymore because I just ended up changing to the anime pronunciations @~@

Years
  • I thought Misdreavus' name was pronounced MIS-dri-vus (4Kids dub) but it's actually MIS-dree-vus (TPCi/PUSA dub). I think the latter is correct.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh yeah, I used to pronounce Misdreavus's name completely wrong, Mis-dree-vee-us. No idea why.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I wouldn't trust pronunciations in the dub anyway, they're always pronouncing a name any ol' how. Take Raikou, they've said it like 3+ different ways.
    I just like to pronounce it how I like, or just how the dub says it anyway, though if I ever get a name wrong and I find it hear the proper pronunciatio, I always find myself saying it how I used to anyway. xD

archeops14

The First Bird
    Years
  • I called Cofagrigus Cofgrigus. I also used to call Rhyperior Rhypherior. They're all just spelling mistakes to me.

Espinight

That Dutch Guy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2011
    Got this all the time with the 3 legendary dogs...
    Examples:

-Raikou: Ray-ko or Ray-cow?
    -Entei: En-tey or En-tai?
    -Suicune: Su-wi-kjun or Suj-kjun?

Maximum confusion here.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Got this all the time with the 3 legendary dogs...
    Examples:

-Raikou: Ray-ko or Ray-cow?
    -Entei: En-tey or En-tai?
    -Suicune: Su-wi-kjun or Suj-kjun?

Maximum confusion here.

I pronounce them:

Raikou: RYE-KO
    Entei: EN-TAY
    Suicune: SWEE-COON

Some pronunciations I've never been totally sure of:

Ambipom (AM-BEE-POM?)
    Lombre (LOME-BRAY?)
    Masquerain (MASS-KURR-RAIN?)
    Uxie (UCKS-EE?)

Also, here's a couple I found out I had been mispronouncing when I saw them in the anime:

Snivy (always pronounced it with a short I)
    Manectric (always pronounced it MA-NECK-TRICK then found out it's MAY-NECK-TRICK)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used to pronounce Bonsly as "Bon-slee," but after seeing one of the first D/P episodes, I learned the real pronunciation (Bon-slye), and have used it ever since.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years

• Snivy (always pronounced it with a short I)
    Manectric (always pronounced it MA-NECK-TRICK then found out it's MAY-NECK-TRICK)

xD, I though I was the only one with these...I also made the mistake with Bonsly and Arceus....I just feel Embarrassed sometimes when I knew I use to pronounce them wrong in front of my other friends..

Years

• I pronounce them:

Raikou: RYE-KO
    Entei: EN-TAY
    Suicune: SWEE-COON

Some pronunciations I've never been totally sure of:

Ambipom (AM-BEE-POM?)
    Lombre (LOME-BRAY?)
    Masquerain (MASS-KURR-RAIN?)
    Uxie (UCKS-EE?)

Also, here's a couple I found out I had been mispronouncing when I saw them in the anime:

Snivy (always pronounced it with a short I)

Some unusual thoughts...

I didn't know Manectric's name pronounciation until I watched a video of Pokemon Battle Revolution on YouTube.

Uxie and Ambipom plus the Legendary Beasts you got correct.

Smallbirdie

Lurker Extraordinaire!
    Years
  • Oh dang, I never realized how many I've been mispronouncing!! Bonsly, Manectrike, Misdreavus... As soon as Bulbapedia comes back up I'm going to check to see if they have a pronunciation guide!

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I used to pronounce Misdreavus as mis-DRAY-vee-us (dont ask where that came from). And I still refuse to pronounce Arceus as ARK-ee-us. It will always be AR-cee-us to me :P.
    I'm probably pronouncing most of the Gen 5 Pokémon wrong since I don't watch the anime anymore and completely relied on Battle Revolution for Gen III and IV pronunciations.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I pronounced Slaking as SLAY-king, but in an episode they said it like SLAH-king.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    As soon as Bulbapedia comes back up I'm going to check to see if they have a pronunciation guide!
    They do not have such a guide and they never will, due to the fact that--as you can see--there are multiple ways to pronounce a name, and they've done so across different canons (anime; vocalized side-games) and dub productions.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I only tend to mispronounce the newer generation Pokemon wrong, but I always pronounce Arceus wrong. I pronounce it as Arc-e-us, when it's suppose to be Ar-c-e-us.

Years
  • I hear all the new ones first on the anime so I take it as it is. Though I do wonder about Victini (first times I skimmed over the word and I thought it was vicinity) - should it be Vis-tinee? Find out on movie 14!

Back