• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
wow

wow, nice update, i love protector's battle system, like how i can make a poke with 999 on a certain stat, and 5 or another
By The way, would you like me to do like not only custom NPC's (woah, it makes some time since i last sent you one...) but also custom furniture???

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'll post my news- then answer any questions asked.
So my news is:
I have re-launched the Calis Projects website. There site is still in development as such. Not all the pages are up, but I just posted a "Developer Blog" which I will be updating all the time. This blog- the first for the site- will give you a little bit of information on myself, as well as Protectors. Have a read:
http://www.my-lifeonline.com/devblog.php

Well that's my news. Now time for any questions asked:My reply in bold under the question.
Before I go on, to anybody that didn't see the last update, it's on page 26 of this thread- the last post on that page

Suggestion byrhevarhe_duh: "The battle system "textbox is weird"
This has been fixed. It was ment to be a nice blue ha. Damn Paint, and Rm2k3's 256 Color Limit. I fixed it up in Irfan view.

Question bydotFallen: "Have you ever considered switching to RM2k"
Lot's of times. When I got the mouse patch for Rm2k3, I saw all the crazy patches for Rm2k and was like "WOW." But I'm not going to switch now, this far into the project. As for the 50 pic limit and the patch for it, I seen it, but had trouble installing it. The mouse patch is not that key patch mentioned above, it is one that was posted by some Italian member- and has bugs with Rm2k3 (none that will effect this game though)

Suggestion byscienceboy: "only thing that i could suggest is perhaps make it so that if you double click, then it'll auto-switch the pokemon, saving you the extra step."
Unlike what is said above, I've messed around with the mouse patch to know how to do double click. I will consider it for pokemon switching- as it makes sense for that feature. Thanks for the suggestion.

Question byDarkeraceus: "Did you use Ineluki Key Patch v1.2"
Nope. I used some random one by an Italian poster on a German support forum lol. It seems to be an edit of that patch. If I remember right, it was shunned by the community for being an edit of the Ineluki Key Patch. I couldn't get that patch working with Rm2k3 v1.08 for some reason, but the patch I have now works fine. Good luck trying to use it. It took me 2 weeks to understand how to use it right. .

- - - -

Any more questions- or any comments on my blog? I would love to read them. Thanks guys. Next update will most likely be either on the Boosters for the Trainer Battle system, or the bag menu for the Trainer Battle system.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
It was great. I have to say.
It's been a long time I post here.
But the game always impressed me.
The screenshots are epic everything you posted.
Keep it up. Can't wait for the Trainer Battle System.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
Years
I still can't believe your doing all of this on RPGM2003
great job!!
once finished, i know this will be a model for other game-makers...it is for me! ^^
by the way, this is pretty obvious, but i thought i might ask anyway..
your not using the starter kit are you? if this is from scratch, WOW is all I can say!!!!

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I still can't believe your doing all of this on RPGM2003
great job!!
once finished, i know this will be a model for other game-makers...it is for me! ^^
by the way, this is pretty obvious, but i thought i might ask anyway..
your not using the starter kit are you? if this is from scratch, WOW is all I can say!!!!

What starter kit would he use, this is RM2k3... not RMXP.

And the blog is cool Neo, is that a picture of you? XD It's weird knowing what people look like... And I'll keep checking the site for updates.

sherm

The Other Guy
Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2011
Its amazing that you can make a game that good on RM2K3.

Wow that is seriously impressive. That ranks up there as EPIC!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
OMG it looks great !!!
It's one of the best hacks i have ever seen!
keep it up:)

Years
OMG it looks great !!!
It's one of the best hacks i have ever seen!
keep it up:)

Sorry, this isn't the rom hacking section. This is Game Development, where each game is made tile by tile with a game maker program of some sort. I hope you have a fire suit.

Edit: But you are correct, this is beyond great.

Atomic Reactor

it explains it. dont just stare at pictures, reading the description will explain things...

Atomic Reactor

Sorry, I wasn't in a good mood when i posted that -.-

but seriously, the update that contained that picture also has an explanation about what the stars mean. Just look more thoroughly before asking questions.

darkerarceus

Advanced RM2K3-er
Years
Calis Projects said:
Angain no screenshots to show you. But this is a forum, so I want to keep you all "posted"- yes bad pun.

Anyways, I've been working on some random stuff just to take my mind off the battle system. As you all are sick of reading by now- I'm trying to get all of the battle system code out of the way. I want to get the systems in place before actual design on gameplay elements kicks in. Some fan game developers have the Starter Kit for RMXP to help them- I don't, and I'm using Rm2k3, so please be easy when "expecting" updates off me ha. I'm only one man trying to code a pokemon battle system using events lol.

The "random stuff" I mentioned I'd been working on was the clock/day and night system. Since Rm2k3 can't check your computer's clock, it is "GTA time"- meaning 1 second real time is 1 minute in Protectors. But the usual tint screen effect is in place for the different times- and the day is there, so when gameplay is being tailored, I'll make sure I take use of these variables for something rather then just displaying numbers lol.
I also coded in the variables for coding up to 10 NPCs "A.I" behaviour at any one time. That means that at any one time, there can be 10 NPCs on the map with goals- in other words- things to do with their lives and move around realistically along the map. The number can be increased, but it is very basic at the moment. Again, when gameplay design work begins, I can start really getting deep into the NPCs' moods and behaviours. The plan is to have each one with their own "life." Since the storyline of Protectors is that if the player wants to be "special" in this world they have to earn it, there will be "A.I" for other Trainer NPCs who will have goals of making it big and becoming special themselves. I really can't wait till I get to start coding this stuff.

Right- so I better go back and work on the battle system
tongue.gif

Any comments or questions?

Nice to hear that!
Just got my own D/D/N/D System up but no A.I yet (will code soon)
so let me see each NPC can do basicaly anything they want
or have to do?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'll answer questions asked in reverse order of them being asked (starting with the post above and working upwards)
@darkerarceus: Yes, all NPCs will have their own lives to live. Sounds a bit ambitious, but the foundation code is there, it is just up to me to code what they do at each stage of their day.
@Yuoaman: I plan on updating my pic on the developer blog every blog, so keep checking it :)
Any questions on the Star Ranking can be found via a link in the first post about the Trainer Class. All of the features in Protectors will be explained in game to the player, but if there is still any doubt, guides will be put up on the official website when the game is released.

Minor Updated: Revamped Look for switching Pokemon in the Trainer Battle System
Finally got this small bit of code done. I've been promising I would show this for awhile, but I never got around to showing the stats.
As you can tell by the title of the update, I revamped the look for switching Pokemon for the Trainer Class' battle system.
It was a lot of copying and pasting to show the stats, but glad it is done.
It is more in tune of what I wanted this to look like from the start.

So how it works:
When selecting a Pokemon in the switching menu for battle, a summary screen pops up. The summary screen has 2 "pages." The first shows the selected Pokemon's HP, Status (if it is paralysed or poisoned and whatnot), and it's type(s). The second "page" shows the Pokemon's ATTACK, DEFENSE, and SPEED stat. You can view each page with a click of the mouse in the right section where it prompts you. And the commands at the bottom explain themselves. Well-
screenshots to show what I just talked about lol.

PKMN_switchingNEW1_testTEAM.png

PKMN_switchingNEW2_testTEAM.png

This is a test team, with test stats- what you see is functional in game, but stats have been added and randomised for debugging purposes
EDIT:For testing purposes- Pikachu is fainted- so that's why Pikachu icon is grey, because any fainted Pokemon have grey icons on the menu.

Last edited:

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Continues to look great! Just a dumb question: why do you only show Attack, Defense, and Speed?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
After a long debate at the start of the development (mainly on my forum), I decided to keep things simple only using those stats.
Since there is no levels and stats are "editable" , to make things easier for new/general players, these are the only factors to worry about (not including the HP stat). Again, to be real, I can't see people playing Protectors for nearly as long as the official games, so making complex systems is rather pointless. While things might look complex, the Star Ranking system makes things easy to understand. People just don't understand because you can only learn from what I type, not your own experience playing this game. The Star Ranking is in everything- Trainer Ranking, Pokemon Ranking, Booster Ranking and more, so when you see how it works in game, you'll see it is designed for ease of use, and quick playability.
IT was never an issue of coding not adding in the stats, just thinking about playtime. I have a very clear goal of what I want Protectors to achieve for both myself, the game itself and this community. That goal is something which represents something fresh, exciting, easy to play, feature rich/features which are easy to learn, hard to master and so on. This goal will really only be clear when you are playing this on your computer rather then dodgy info I type up or how people take in what I do type.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

keep up the astounding work.

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
After a long debate at the start of the development (mainly on my forum), I decided to keep things simple only using those stats.
Since there is no levels and stats are "editable" , to make things easier for new/general players, these are the only factors to worry about (not including the HP stat). Again, to be real, I can't see people playing Protectors for nearly as long as the official games, so making complex systems is rather pointless. While things might look complex, the Star Ranking system makes things easy to understand. People just don't understand because you can only learn from what I type, not your own experience playing this game. The Star Ranking is in everything- Trainer Ranking, Pokemon Ranking, Booster Ranking and more, so when you see how it works in game, you'll see it is designed for ease of use, and quick playability.
IT was never an issue of coding not adding in the stats, just thinking about playtime. I have a very clear goal of what I want Protectors to achieve for both myself, the game itself and this community. That goal is something which represents something fresh, exciting, easy to play, feature rich/features which are easy to learn, hard to master and so on. This goal will really only be clear when you are playing this on your computer rather then dodgy info I type up or how people take in what I do type.

Very cool! I must have missed the post where you talked about this more in-depth, but it's great that you're doing something original with the formula. I think in the first post it says there is a "trainer class" post. What page? I'd like to brush up on some of your new concepts. ^_^ I do remember reading about the gambling, which is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back