• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Red and Blue on Virtual Console. Thoughts?

PixelCole

Happy Guy
Years
  • Perhaps the classic Red and Blue games were released on 3DS virtual console. What would you like to see? Wireless battling? Wireless trading? Being able to transfer Pokemon from these games to Black and White 2?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    That would require a lot of coding changes which I don't see them doing. The biggest thing against the older ones (Gen 3 and Below) appearing in the Virtual Store is the fact that they'd have to edit codes which could effect the gameplay, OR leave them unaltered and not allow trading outside of the game which is kinda against the point of the game series.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    If they did anything beyond making the previously wired things locally wireless, I would feel like it would be almost like a remake. Tbh I would want them to not touch anything except for that one thing.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I think it would be horrifying, except when it becomes a remake, like Toujours said above. Imagine all the pixelated pokemon, it 3D! It's just like having black blocks flying around your face.

PixelCole

Happy Guy
    Years
  • If they did anything beyond making the previously wired things locally wireless, I would feel like it would be almost like a remake. Tbh I would want them to not touch anything except for that one thing.

I feel the same way! Only change that.

I think it would be horrifying, except when it becomes a remake, like Toujours said above. Imagine all the pixelated pokemon, it 3D! It's just like having black blocks flying around your face.

I meant as a feature. Like, being able to transfer the Pokemon you capture in Blue and Red, and being able to transfer them to Black and White 2. They'd be transfered, and with updated sprites. Not the same exact sprites.

Last edited:

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    Yesss, I've been wanting RB on the virtual console for a while now. I can play roms and stuff, but it'd be really handy to just have on my DS to play anywhere I want without having to pack my GBA, too. I'd buy it.

About the wireless thing, yes, that's a good idea. Otherwise people couldn't get all the Pokemon without cheats.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Oh if only! I'd love to see these, aswell as GSC & RSE but I think they would have already if they had planned too.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It'd be nice, but I don't see them doing that any time soon, if not at all. RB have remakes, and though the remakes obviously aren't the same as playing the original, it would still feel redundant. Though one might say that about Ocarina of Time. You have the original, Collector's Edition/Master Quest, a VC version, and the remake on 3DS. So with that in mind, it's possible...but I think it's very unlikely since RB, imo, don't have the groundbreaking qualities OoT had. Plus those are obviously two very different games.

As far as trading and transferring to gen V would go, I don't see a big deal with linking up with other RB 3DS players, however because I doubt they'd change the stat system just for a VC version, transferring to gen V would be impossible. So that's definitely out.

Basically, it'd be nice to see it, for those that hate FRLG and lost their original copies or what have you, but tbh if you really, really want to play it, an emulator and ROMs are a Google search away.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    It'd be nice, but I don't see them doing that any time soon, if not at all. RB have remakes, and though the remakes obviously aren't the same as playing the original, it would still feel redundant. Though one might say that about Ocarina of Time. You have the original, Collector's Edition/Master Quest, a VC version, and the remake on 3DS. So with that in mind, it's possible...but I think it's very unlikely since RB, imo, don't have the groundbreaking qualities OoT had. Plus those are obviously two very different games.

As far as trading and transferring to gen V would go, I don't see a big deal with linking up with other RB 3DS players, however because I doubt they'd change the stat system just for a VC version, transferring to gen V would be impossible. So that's definitely out.

Basically, it'd be nice to see it, for those that hate FRLG and lost their original copies or what have you, but tbh if you really, really want to play it, an emulator and ROMs are a Google search away.
    Yea but...having anything larger than a 3ds is not so convenient ^^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yea but...having anything larger than a 3ds is not so convenient ^^

Then you'd have to deal with it not being on the go. I have to deal with Colosseum and Twilight Princess not being portable, among other games. It's not a huge price to pay.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I can remember playing Blue version on the TV via the GB Tower in Pokemon Stadium and... it wasn't particularly great. The novelty factor of seeing Pikachu et al on the big screen soon wore off when it just became apparent that a big screen only exacerbated any graphical issues that the games had, and there were no real gameplay features added on to make the experience better. That just felt like a gimmick even to 10-year-old me. And while if Gen I got the VC treatment it would probably be treated with more respect, I just don't really see what added benefits would be gained for losing the ability to trade and getting much worse graphics.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps Nintendo could release all the old Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games to Android, iPhone and Windows Phone 7.
    It wouldn't take so much time and effort: they would have to build an emulator app and then just sell the ROMs and the emulator app via the official Android, iPhone and Windows Phone stores. Or sell each game combined with an emulator built in to the game's app.

Overall I think they would get quite good profit for quite little work, especially from all the old school gamers and people who don't want to take their old consoles with them all the time.

There's even a petition for that: gopetition.com/petitions/pokemon-app-petition.html

Back