• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Pokemon Red/Blue Pointers Question

supershadow64ds

Confused Noob Programmer
Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    If I'm posting in the wrong forums, I apologize, I couldn't find anything that pertained to my specific question, and the new Simple Questions thread was closed for some reason.

Explanation:
    Spoiler:

So my question is as follows:
    Have I done anything wrong? Do the pointers point to a different Bank in the ROM? Is the ROM map incorrect and I followed the wrong bytes?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'm not at a computer, so I can't help as much as I want to. First of all, your offset calculation was correct, although Red's back sprite might be in another bank. You shouldn't be using Data Crystal's ROM map, however, because there is a much better resource called the "pokered disassembly". The entire game has been decompiled! This means that it's the perfect reference for hex editing. Google "pokered github", and you'll see the project under iimarckus's name. If you have any more questions, you might want to post at the Skeetendo forums (hax.iimarck.us). It's dedicated to gen 1 & 2 hacking! I highly suggest not to hex edit, and instead just build the disassembly project. Again, ask around at Skeetendo if some this is going over your head. There are a bunch of friendly people who will help you get started.

Back