• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Years
  • Yes, the tendency to not allow as many cities is entirely due to the fact that I reduced the total map size to accommodate the default Town Map dimensions of 480x320. I thought about still allowing larger sizes with a disclaimer that the town map may not be able to generate. But if you could point me at how the townmap.txt formatting should work for Better Region Map (if it's even different) I could potentially have that as a toggle-able option.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • the way the better region map reads the townmap.txt file is the same as default essentials. the exception being the hidden island option doesn't work. here is (broken link removed) to the resource. since all it really does is pan/scroll the map, the better idea is to create two new fields, and X and Y field, that defines how big the region map should be, which can be locked behind a 'custom region size' button. (example a 34x24 grid space region map, which would be 544x416 pixels)

Last edited:

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • a good idea I had for v1.4 is a field that shows the seed used to generate the currently previewing region if the seed field is blank. that way if we find one we really want and want to see how it looks with varying levels of cities we can

TheMeq

I need moar coffee...
    Years
  • Hi, I'm having an issue with this tool when I go to unpack data. Do you know how I would fix this?

[DEPRECATION] The trollop gem has been renamed to optimist and will no longer be supported. Please switch to optimist as soon as possible.
    Exception loading G:/RMXPProjects/Project1/Data/PkmnAnimations.rxdata
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    13: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `<main>'
    12: from C:/Ruby27-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `load'
    11: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/bin/rvpacker:27:in `<top (required)>'
    10: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:373:in `serialize'
    9: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:261:in `convert'
    8: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:261:in `each'
    7: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:265:in `block in convert'
    6: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:252:in `process_file'
    5: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:164:in `load'
    4: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:164:in `call'
    3: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:89:in `load_data_file'
    2: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:89:in `open'
    1: from C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:90:in `block in load_data_file'
    C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:90:in `load': undefined class/module PBAnimations (ArgumentError)

Years
  • Hi,

The short answer is that I don't know how to fix that - it seems rvpacker is not expecting something about your PkmnAnimations.rxdata. However, nothing about that file is modified or needed for the map generation or importing of maps.

My advice would be, temporarily drag that file outside of your project, then run the unpack. Then you can put the PkmnAnimations.rxdata back in. Maybe if there's a way to selectively unpack only the files that need to be unpacked, I can set it up to do that in the next version to avoid such problems.

Edit: I have found that the error regarding the "PkmnAnimations.rxdata" always occurs when running "unpack", but that file does not need to be unpacked for any of the maps to work, and the map files do still unpack successfully if you get this error. So, this error can effectively be ignored.

Last edited:

JoelMatthews

Trans Dude with a Chill 'Tude
    Years
  • Aaah, playing with this has been so fun! I've been in a creative slump these past few days, so taking inspiration from some of the formations that come out of the generation has helped immensely. Sure, it's definitely not a tool to use on its own, but there's fun to be had in giving the randomly generated maps a makeover, anyway!

Thank you for this tool -- it's a blast to use!

Pandappuccino

Pandachu, I Choose You!
    Years
  • I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not, but after downloading and unzipping the files, and installing Ruby, the .jar file doesn't run. I updated Java, thinking that might be the issue, but it did nothing to help; when I ran it from the command line, I got an error that it was trying to run the program within System32, even though I was running it from my project folder. I want to make use of this program since it's going to save me a lot of time on my project, but it's just not wanting to behave.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. Apparently downloading it through the cursed program known as Microsoft Edge fixed it.

Last edited:

TheMeq

I need moar coffee...
    Years
  • Renaming the PkmnAnimations.rxdata seemed to allow it to run.

Maybe through your program, you can temporarily rename the file, before calling the rvunpacker, then naming it back after the process completes.

Thanks for the software, works perfectly!

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2020
    Hey whenever I try to pack or unpack anything I get a series of error messages I have installed both ruby and the gems and I already have java installed I follow all the steps in the latest 1.2 version as that is the one I used. when I unpack I get error messages but it seems to successfully unpack however when I pack I get an error message and nothing changed. Please help.

Error message for unpacking

[DEPRECATION] The trollop gem has been renamed to optimist and will no longer be supported. Please switch to optimist as soon as possible.
    Exception loading C:/Users/thoma/Desktop/Pokemon BOI/Data/PkmnAnimations.rxdata
    13: from D:/Ruby26-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `<main>'
    12: from D:/Ruby26-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `load'
    11: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/bin/rvpacker:27:in `<top (required)>'
    10: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:373:in `serialize'
    9: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:261:in `convert'
    8: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:261:in `each'
    7: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:265:in `block in convert'
    6: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:252:in `process_file'
    5: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:164:in `load'
    4: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:164:in `call'
    3: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:89:in `load_data_file'
    2: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:89:in `open'
    1: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:90:in `block in load_data_file'
    D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:90:in `load': undefined class/module PBAnimations (ArgumentError)

Error message for packing

4: from D:/Ruby26-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `<main>'
    3: from D:/Ruby26-x64/bin/rvpacker:23:in `load'
    2: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/bin/rvpacker:27:in `<top (required)>'
    1: from D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:378:in `serialize'
    D:/Ruby26-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:218:in `scripts_to_binary': Missing Scripts.yaml (RuntimeError)

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2020
    Nevermind i appear to have fixed it by each time removing the file temporarily it claimed was causing the error

Years
  • HI Insert_name -

You have it right. The error during "pack" about the missing Scripts.yaml always happens, but it doesn't really matter since we don't use scripts.yaml for this, so the pack will still work despite that.

I am not sure if the unpack still goes through for the other files when it hits a problem with PkmnAnimations.rxdata, but you're correct that you can simply move that file out of the folder when you run the unpack, then put it back in when you're done.

I'll try to see if I can change the buttons to just unpack/pack the specific files needed in the next version so we can avoid those error messages.

Edit: I have since learned that the error regarding PkmnAnimations.rxdata does not prevent the rest of the "unpack" from working, so you do not need to move the file out of the folder and can ignore that error.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So, I actually just retested this and I also was getting the "PkmnAnimations.rxdata" error - however, the pack still works successfully for the map files regardless. So you can also just ignore this error if you want. I will still try to have the next version be more selective to avoid confusion.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2023
    The connection script not working, im using v17.2 and it just different when i matched up from the (original) connection.txt and (outpot) connection.txt

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2023
    I mean the code from CartographerAlpha1.2 and essentials 17.2 are completelty different
    Pokemon Region Generator
    its just me dumb or because the version, because when i try replace or overwrite its still dont work. thanks! pic https://ibb.co/L8Gt3h3

Years
  • Hey lightnvs,

You should not need to overwrite anything. It does not replace the existing info since it only generates connections for the new maps, not the ones that are already there. You can just add the generated connections to the end of the file.

The reason it looks a little different is just because of 2 things:

1. Essentials' default connections.txt has some comments that don't do anything, but provide extra info to the reader (lines starting with a "#")
    2. Essentials' default is using "North" "South" etc instead of "N" or "S", but both types are allowed and it will recognize them.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    uh, question, why it keeps telling me to put it on the project folder when it already is?
    and why in the living hell it wants me to put my stuff on system 32

Pokemon Region Generator

even after adding the pbs in system32 the thing still doesn't open, in task manager i see the java process opening, just to close in seconds

Years
  • Hey TheLuiz,

Short version is, it's a bug - someone else also pointed this out to me. If you right click - Run As, it launches the program from the root directory (C:\system32) instead of the project folder, which causes it to look for the folders in the wrong location. I will be fixing this in the next version, but for now you need to either:

A) Run the .jar program from the command line, navigating to the project folder first, or
    B) Double click to run the .jar, assuming you have the file association set to run .jar files with Java(TM) Platform SE binary by default. You can change this in Control Panel - Programs - Default Programs - Chose Default Programs by File Type, then scroll down to .jar

Technically putting the PBS in the System32 will work but I don't really recommend that. Also, if the program doesn't seem to do anything when launched it's probably getting an error on something in your PBS (it's kind of not very good at handling non-vanilla Essentials stuff at the moment, which is another thing I'm working on improving). There are ways to work around it, but first you'll have to see what the error is by running via cmd (also going to be fixed to be less annoying). Sorry for the inconvenience, the current version definitely has some issues to iron out. I think I'll try to get a smaller update out to address some of these annoying problems more quickly.

Edit: The error where selecting right click - Run As causes it to search for files in System32 has been fixed in version 1.21 & onwards.

Last edited:
    Back