• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Rocket Returns

waw

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Welcome to the World of Team Rocket!
    This is a development thread for my hack of Pokemon Fire Red. I was always a fan of Gen I and Gen II, so this is a proposed direct sequel that picks up the story of Red, Giovanni, Mewtwo, and Team Rocket. The story is set roughly 4 Years after Gen II (that's 7 years after Gen 1). Most of the "kids" we knew are grown up.

This story would introduce a third region:
    Jomon Region

This directly connects to Kanto and Johto and sort of "completes" the Honshu Island of Japan.
    Three Regions

Jomon has the following unique locations. This region blends naming trends from Johto as it is split in East and West, the East is the Industrial center of the Three Regions.

1. Kelp Village
    2. Rocket Retreat
    3. Rice City
    4. Swamp
    5. Plumtree Village
    6. Spectral Woods
    7. Hidden Mountain/Shrine
    8: Furpine City
    9. Palepeak
    10. Mountain Path
    11. Xanthous Power Plant
    12. Xanthous City
    13. Lake of Calm
    14. Russet Town
    15. Teal Town
    16. Slate City
    17. Exile Island
    18. Old Mines

The Jomon Region is based on the Hokuriku Region of Japan, the Rising Dragon. As such, this region is colder and receives a lot of snow. Also, being named after the ancient Jomon Period of Japan, it'll have a Jurassic Safari Zone. Each of these locations are based on historical areas within Japan:

1. Kelp Village - Suzu, a small fishing village
    3. Rice City - Toyama, a city with a Green tech focus. Reflecting this, Rice City eschews all technology and uses Nuts and the like to be all naturale.
    5. Plumtree Village - the old Togakure Village, a home for ninja
    6. Spectral Woods - Aokighara, a haunted forest known to be a suicide hotspot
    7. Hidden Mountain/Shrine - Mt. Togakushi, an ancient religious site
    8: Furpine City - Joetsu, a coastal city known for lots of snow and rain
    9. Palepeak - Yuzawa, a resort town known for hotsprings
    11. Xanthous Power Plant - Fukushima Power Plant
    12. Xanthous City - Fukushima
    13. Lake of Calm - Lake Inawashiro (Heavenly Mirror Lake)
    14. Russet Town - Aizuwakamatsu, a town with a red-roofed castle
    15. Teal Town - Tusuroka, know for 3 sacred mountains
    16. Slate City - Niigata City, a port city, and here a dirty, industrial city
    17. Exile Island - Sado Island, only penal island
    18. Old Mines - Sado Island was famed for Gold Mines, here, they've all dried up

The player, either Jarek or Selina, begins their journey at Rocket Retreat. This is a daycare ran by Jesse and James, but underneath is a secret Team Rocket Base. Intro'd to the world by Ariana, the player (either Jarek or Selina, the other being the Rival/Partner), chooses a *lame* starter Pokemon (Koffing, Muk, or Ekans). Throughout the game, the player rises through ranks in Team Rocket, going from Grunt, to Executive, and maybe even Boss.

Story:
    7 Years after Red started his journey...
    Team Rocket has suffered numerous defeats, and now Team Mecha runs the criminal underworld in the Three Regions. Giovanni has been missing. In his place, Silver, Giovanni's son, leads Team Rocket with the trusted Executives: Petrel, Arianna, Proton, and Archer. Silver's embarked a new initiative to take the fight directly against Team Mecha.

To prove their worth, the new Grunts must challenge Rice City's Gym Leader, a secret Rocket agent codenamed the Black Tulip.

Their first mission will be to rob Prof. Grove of his "Starter Pokemon" he's gifting to young would-be trainers in Plumtree Village, all selected by the Pokemon League. Grove would be bumped into several times to steal his items.

Throughout the journey, Giovanni and Red return. The mysterious Masked Master, who commands a cadre of elite pokemon trainers, also proves to be a thorn in Team Rocket's side. Mr. Fuji and Blaine have embarked to find the missing Mewtwo. Silph's experiment with an artificial Legendary Pokemon (codenamed Missingno), new Gym Leaders, and a life of crime all await the new Team Rocket Grunts.

Explore The Hidden Mountain and find the Dragon Tamer's Tomb. Here lies Himiko, the first Pokemon Trainer who utilized Three Treasures (A Sword, a Mirror, and a Stone) to command the Pokemon Ghost Dragon Kuzu and united the Three Regions.

The world also sheds more light on certain Gen 1 mysteries, like the "war" that produced Lt. Surge.

I have a very clear cut work of the story, the gyms, the cities, and the layout of the world. A few mysteries too. The Jomon Region could introduce up to 100 Fakemon, though maybe closer to 50. The primary key is two new Legendaries (Missingno and Kuzu based on Mt. Togakushi's Kuzuryu dragon god). With any luck, the character could travel from Jomon into Johto and Kanto to see region differences and take part in the Indigo League Elite 4. Numerous NPCs return to update their stories and show changes over time.

Fakemon:
    Three Starters, some of which the Player steals:
    A Cypress-tree which looks like a samurai/yamabushi, would be Grass/Steel
    A Fire ninja Tiger, would be Fire/Fighting
    A water Tanuki monk, would be Water/Psychic
    A Tuna Pokemon
    Kuzu - (was a 9 headed dragon, may be reduced for sprite quality) Ghost/Dragon
    Missingno - an artificial pokemon resulting from a cloning experiment gone wrong
    Pokemon emphasizing the cold, mountain climate or unique to Japan (snow leopard, mountain goat/serow, wolf, tengu, raven, japanese bush warbler/nightingale).
    Dinosaurs (Along with the Fossil Pokemon, a few more added to the Jurassic Safari area).

Fun To Add:
    Chocobo and Yoshi
    Kaiju-pokemon like Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and Mothra parallels.

Emphasis is less on Gym Challenging and more on Missions from Team Rocket. HMs would be used to open secret entrances into buildings to steal pokemon, eggs, bikes, and items.

It would be nice to assemble a development team, I certainly would consider working with people. I've worked on some never-released hacks and done some events, fakemon, etc, but a seasoned crew would help.

Pokemon from Gen I and II would be present, where much of Gen III could be overwritten as Fakemon. Some may show up (my favorites mostly).

This game will be be developed up until finish, but certainly a team would speed that up.

I've seen hacks/resources that provide a map for Johto too, but I know there are size restraints. But putting in Johto, Kanto, (and to a much lesser degree, the Sevii Islands...) would be great.

Back