• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon ROM Hack using Goldfinger HEX Editing Tool

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm currently working on a simple Rom hack, using Pokemon Crystal as my base. I am utilising Goldfinger as one of my editing tool to facilitate my project.

I'm familiar with the conversion between decimal system and HEXA-DECIMAL. However, the major challenge that I have been struggling with is the interpretation of the bytes with respect to the data it represents.

I have been searching on the Internet for a guide to provide some common offset addresses to assist me in the editing process, but I can't really find an effective guide that suits my needs.

Currently, I'm working on editing the DVs of the trainers, but I'm stucked as I can't seem to figure out which offset addresses represent the trainers' DVs. I have been using the most tedious way of inputing bytes to search for the most relevant data which could be the one I'm looking for. Eg, Whitney's DVs are 8/8/8/8 (ATT/DEF/SPD/SPC), so I searched for the bytes: 08 08 08 08, but there are so many "08 08 08 08"s throughout the rom, so how am I supposed to figure out which addresses that contained "08 08 08 08" represent Whitney's DVs???

Are there any other better ways of getting around this issue? I'm totally clueless on programming scripts, that's why I resort to using hex editor to get my stuffs done. I need some guidance to whether is there a better way of using Goldfinger apart from my usual method, which I do not perceived as the best way to facilitate my editing.

Thank you in advance.

Back