• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon should evolve during battles

Anuhrima

Darkness and Rebirth
Years
  • No way, it would be to cheap. That gives you an unfair advantage. That like when your at level 20 going to the first patch of grass and there is a level 5 Pokemon. Unfair man. On top of that it would make things more complex.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I've always thought about this idea and I like it. But how would it be unfair for a pokemon to evolve during battle? It's just the NPC's you're fighting...

I also agree with timbjerr, the anime and the games should be kept away from each other. Ash is by no means Red, etc.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2011
    I just wish Nintendo and game freak would listen to some of the suggestions on this website.

Shaymin Trainer

Shaymin Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2010
    I agree it would make the games more closer to the anime
    AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! :)

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I understand how it would give you an advantage and make things easier in a tough battle, but I feel that if Pokemon were given the ability to evolve during battle, it would just make things easier for you and would take some of the fun away. I personally like it the way it is because of how it gives you a challenge, and requires you to use the skill you have to try and win the battle so your Pokemon can evolve. Just the way I see it, I guess.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'd love them to implement this. I absolutely despise when I level something up to the level-of-evolution in battle and think "Yes! Finally!", only to have my dreams smashed when I lose, it doesn't evolve and I have to level it up again!

ARRGH!
    /RAGE

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    The idea is nice and I've also wondered why they haven't implemented it yet.

I agree it would make the games more closer to the anime
    AND THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!! :)

Let me tell you something, when Pokemon games start emulating the anime then a large percentage of people will stop playing.

I'm sorry but if I use Ice beam on a buizel using aqua jet I don't expect it to be an attack. I also don't expect the other pokemon to start spinning around to shed off damage or to avoid attacks. Or use two moves in combination...I also don't expect for thunderbolt to cause a golem to faint.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've always always wanted this to happen. Pokémon evolve during battles in the anime more than they do while they aren't battling (hell, I'd even go as far to say (aside from using stones) that I've never seen a Pokémon evolve after a battle like they do in the game). It seems more appropriate to have a Pokémon evolve in the middle of a battle, actually! I don't see them implementing it, unfortunately. If it was implemented, it would have been implemented by now. I mean, we're entering the fifth generation, after all.

Then again, there's always the possibility that they don't know how to implement it yet.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I never really thought of that. It would be cool if that were to happen. It'd be like BOOM BABY! xDD It be nice leveling up and having my dratini's evolve during battle.

Im all for it if they include it in the games

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    However, I could see a flaw with this, because what if the pokemon gains major exp. and wants to evolve after every single time the opponent's Pokemon are defeated? What if you battle Fisherman Jimmy who has idk... 6 Magikarp? You defeat the first one, and your pokemon wants to evolve. You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.

That wouldn't happen - it wouldn't start to evolve again until it reached the next level...

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I think this would be a great thing. It would add more dynamism to the battles and make for a more interesting time.

It's true that this may bring the anime and the games closer together...but honestly, how much sense does it make for a Pokemon to evolve AFTER a battle and not during one? It makes more sense to me that an evolution would happen whenever it's time and not specifically after a battle.

It's not like they'd have to do a major change to this process either. I can see evolutions just pausing a battle screen, going to the casual evolution screen we normally see after battles, and then back to the battle screen. Nothing too complicated.

that would be sweet, but I picture it was happening while in battle, the foe just stops attacking. I'm sure it will happen since now they've incorporated motion into the black and white (as we could tell from the scenes released on pkmn sunday). It would suck though if you're in a battle guranteed to win then all of a sudden the challenger's pokemon evolves.

This guy speaks truth. I prefer my pokemon to evolve during the battle as well. I've been wanting this to happen since RSE came out.

However, I could see a flaw with this, because what if the pokemon gains major exp. and wants to evolve after every single time the opponent's Pokemon are defeated? What if you battle Fisherman Jimmy who has idk... 6 Magikarp? You defeat the first one, and your pokemon wants to evolve. You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.

but if you wanted an umbreon why would you be training during the day? lol XD. Yeah you're right it could be a problem though it may not happen. I guess the pokemon would start to evolve but then you could stop it and once that happens it won't try again till it reaches the next level.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I've only recently wanted this to happen. It would make battles a bit easier for the player if their Pokemon evolved in the middle of battle, to get that small boost in stats and maybe a more powerful move.

But it's not likely to happen. It's just easier to have the evolution screen come after the battle is won so that there's no interruptions. It just seems awkward to do it then. And besides, if they could, they would have done so before.

You don't want it to evolve into Espeon, (because you prefer Umbreon) so you cancel the evolution. You defeat the next Magikarp, and it asks want to evolve?, you say no, and so on and so forth until the battle with Magikarp is complete. That could get annoying if you're battling a trainer with a full team.
    Stick an Everstone on it while training it during the day? If you know when you want a Pokemon to evolve, either stick an Everstone on it (if you have one) or just deal with mashing the B button for a while.

That's if they implement this.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I disagree. Maybe I do not want my pokemon to evolve just yet? IT would also be pretty awkward to have that evolve screen in the middle of a battle.

Years
  • Man, the way everyone is talking about evolution in battle it is like you guys think there will be some uber beam coming from the pokemon during the evolution auto-ko'ing the opponent. I mean, woo, your pokemon evolved.

rossbot

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    No, it should be left the way it is for multiple reasons.
    1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been.
    2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem.
    3) I abhor the anime and believe that if it were not for the gay TV show that it is, the entire franchise would have been targeted at a broader and older audience and would have had better staying power and would not be considered taboo for all those middle schoolers out there who care too much about being cool.

Leave it the way it is, and ignore the anime. If anything, the anime should try to follow the games more, not the other way around.

Back