• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon, slowly losing creativity?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The idea of a fox starter worries me a bit, along with a Water-type frog. We've already had two Water-type frogs. I don't mind that there are three, but the starters should be some of the most unique Pokemon in the generation, and it's kind of weird that they're repeating it.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • losing creativity? the only time I'll admit that is when they creat pokemon designs less creative than Gen 1. I have nothing against Gen 1, they have some awesome pokemon, but they also had lesser creative ideas.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • But see this: there's many, many different kinds of spiders in the world too. I don't think having two or three different fox or three frog Pokémon is going to hurt anyone and you can still express some creative flair with them.
    Probably the best real life reasoning I've read in a long while as to why it's realistic and completely reasonable for GameFreak to create Pokémon designs that may be based off of a same or similar animal.

In all honesty, I believe it was in Generation II when Pokémon really began to hit a creative flair with the different designs of Pokémon. That flair escalated in Gen III, and again, and again, and as we come into the sixth generation, again. Harking back to the Pokémon of the first generation, many of the designs were incredibly simple. Take Meowth for example: a plain design of a cat, but with a gold coin on its forehead. Then jump the the fourth generation, and we have Glameow which is a much more creative design for a cat Pokémon, in my opinion.

I don't believe Pokémon is necessarily losing creativity (although, I do question certain Pokémon that have been released, more so in Unova than any other), but instead they're simply becoming more creative and adding more flair with the newer designs and doing more to them than previously before.

It's just for those of us who started playing Pokémon from when it first began, things aren't the same, Pokémon has certainly evolved, and our perspective of what's new compared to what's old is blurred as we judge the newer generations more harshly than we did when we were young. I think that's a fair way of putting it.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • I think Game Freak is getting really creative with it's designs. A deer legendary, a bird legendary (we haven't seen a new one since what, Gen II?), a Grass starter that is based off a mammal, etc. And we've only seen five Pokemon, so unless they only release 100 new Pokemon, don't worry.

tnfsf11

First of all it's "losing" not "loosing".

And yes, they are losing creativity, ofc every generation had its eye-candy, but the amount of boring/ugly Pokemon is increasing every generation.

Pokemon drawers are often inspired by animals and sometimes, regular life objects (e.g. trubbish/klink) but there's only so much animals in the world to "Pokemonize".
    The drawers already used nearly all animals and repeated some across generations, they also blended animals and "created" new creatures (e.g. larvitar/axew), so don't hold your breath for much in upcoming generations...

IMO they should stop making generations and focus more on the games; expanding the map, elongating quests, and making it possible to catch 'em all. A cross-platform MMO game would be nice.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm quite excited by what they've shown so far of Gen 6. I think they're having to get MORE creative to come up with different types of Pokemon. Sure, we've had some failures and all but I think we'll definitely get quite a few gems in each generation.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    you know, I kinda hoped that Gen V would've included tri-types, with Black Kyurem being a Dragon/Ice/Electric, but nope, it's Ice/Dragon, which means it doesn't get STAB from Fusion Bolt...which sucks

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • People still seem to forget that one of the main reasons earlier gens where so simple in their designs is graphical limitations, if Charizard came out in fifth gen, I'd beat there would be a few more spikes and much more colour on him.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • Oh joy, another one of these threads again...
    Here's what every generation of Pokemon comes down to in terms of creativity, execution, style, etc...

OPINION

Opinions will never see eye to eye and they will only be "right" or "correct" in our own heads. There are hundreds of species and sub-species all within the same general naming convention such as "rodent," "feline," "canine," "amphibian," etc. as well as many species that we may have yet to discover. There's bound to be similarities since there's only but so many animals and RL objects. Whether they came out well or not, is all up to individual opinion and bias, just like the "best" generation comes down to bias. Personally, I like the 6th gen so far (tho I will be saving Froakie for last or X2Y2, idk), liked 5th, loathed 4th (everything, starters and all), liked 1st-3rd. If Gamefreak maintained this long - 600+ monsters and still adding more - I don't think that's a sign of loss of creativity, esp. since they're continually making the story lines more complex with the antagonists being more nefarious (we've gone from yakuza, to environmental terrorists, to megalomaniacs wanting to play god, to Illuminati [under the pretense of PETA, tho BW2 made them 2 separate entities where one is evil and the other genuinely think that Pokemon should be free from battles conducted by trainers]).

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • Is anyone else hoping they do another Dark/Dragon, but with a serpentine body, instead of a hydra?

I get a feeling, even if it were bad, it would have instant love.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • Losing creativity, as opposed to what? Generation 1?
    Muk is just purple sludge, Magnemite's a magnet, Ditto's a pink blob.

Every generation has its unique and less imaginative designs. They can't run out of designs because there's so many things in the world still unused in Pokémon. It's trying to create a variety without repeating ideas in the same generation that is the problem.

Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    The Pokemon world is infinite. There's no way they can lose creativity, even if some Pokemon aren't all that great, they can just whip out another gen and improve.

As long as they have a fan-base of course, the only way the Pokemon world will fail is if we as fans abandon it. It's like Santa Claus. But there is always younger people who are drawn to it, like my nephews, they started liking Pokemon recently and for them Pokemon started in BW, so they are the new generation of Pokemon fans.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    And yes, they are losing creativity, ofc every generation had its eye-candy, but the amount of boring/ugly Pokemon is increasing every generation.

This is strictly an opinion with no factional evidence to support it, especially the part about them losing creativity. Do any of the current 649 Pokemon look like Xerneas or Yveltal? No, they don't. If GameFreak were out of ideas, they would have announced the end of the Pokemon franchise. The fact that the announcement was for a new Generation is proof they're not out of ideas. (Also note that GF supposedly has over 1000 Pokemon designed already, many that may or may not every be used.)

Pokemon drawers are often inspired by animals and sometimes, regular life objects (e.g. trubbish/klink) but there's only so much animals in the world to "Pokemonize".
    The drawers already used nearly all animals and repeated some across generations, they also blended animals and "created" new creatures (e.g. larvitar/axew), so don't hold your breath for much in upcoming generations...

There many different kinds of dogs in the world, as well as cats, bugs, birds, snakes, monkeys, fish....why can't there be more than 1 fish Pokemon when there are countless real ones in existence? Just because they are based on the same real animal doesn't mean they are out of ideas. If that were the case, Gen 1 should be the worst ever since there were 13 bird Pokemon.

Also, Larvitar and Axew are only similar in terms of being small dino-like creatures. Larvitar is a Rock/Ground Pokemon, while Axew is pure Dragon. And Tyranitar and Haxorus are very different from each other.

IMO they should stop making generations and focus more on the games; expanding the map, elongating quests, and making it possible to catch 'em all. A cross-platform MMO game would be nice.

They'll never stop making generations. New Pokemon are pretty much the main feature of any generation. A Gen without new Pokemon can't really be called a Gen. And it IS possible to catch 'em all, even though that slogan has been dropped for several years. They will never make it possible to catch all Pokemon easily. And there really is no need for an MMO since it wouldn't add anything to the games and would potentially require massive changes to do so. Besides, with Wi-Fi battles and features, Pokemon is already basically an MMO. We can battle folks all over the world...and MMO would not make this new.

Years
  • No, it's not losing creativity. There is so much unexplored by Pokemon, in this two generations, Gen 5 and this one, they've started basing regions on other places in the world whereas the previous ones were Japan based. There are so many places in the world left to explore: Continents like more of Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, more places in America, etc. Pokemon are mainly based on animals and there is still many left to cover as there are literally millions of creatures in the world, other than that they've based Pokemon on inanimate objects( like the Rotom appliances),Robots and even aliens. Also there is a ton of mythology worldwide to draw from.

The point is I dont think Pokemon will lose creativity when there is so much out there to draw from.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • No, it's not losing creativity. There is so much unexplored by Pokemon, in this two generations, Gen 5 and this one, they've started basing regions on other places in the world whereas the previous ones were Japan based. There are so many places in the world left to explore: Continents like more of Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, more places in America, etc. Pokemon are mainly based on animals and there is still many left to cover as there are literally millions of creatures in the world, other than that they've based Pokemon on inanimate objects( like the Rotom appliances),Robots and even aliens. Also there is a ton of mythology worldwide to draw from.

The point is I dont think Pokemon will lose creativity when there is so much out there to draw from.

YES. Marry me.
    Especially to that other person that said "Pokemon have been made of nearly every type of animal" or something along those lines; there are far more animals on this planet that just dogs and cats.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
    Years
  • I actually think it's gaining it, never expected to see my tasty cold treat as a pokemon, or even that thing I hate throwing out become living xD Although the starters seem bland to me, I bet they'll evolve into beasts xD

kammond

Huh
    Years
  • Gamefreak is multimillion dollar company. Do you really think they would skimp out or get lazy with their designs? They do this professionally. It's their job. They're probably paying top dollar for top level designers.

Also remember that Pokémon's target audience is quite young, and these flashier designs probably appeal to them more.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    If anything, they're getting much better designs.

I mean take the more recent Pokemon and compare them to the likes of... Ditto.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • You all do know that simplicity can be great in many cases, right? And that there's a difference between "creativity" and "shoving as much crap into one creature as possible", right? And judging by what has been revealed, these games certainly seem to lean to the latter.

Back