• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon TCG for dummies

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2004
    Okay, back in the day, when the tcg game first started, I collected a lot of the cards that came out. I was just wondering...well I'm wondering a lot about the game today. One question i have is have the rules changed any since when it first started? Another question i have is how do these leagues work, and do you need the knew ex and such cards to be able to play?

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
    Years
    One question I have is have the rules changed any since when it first started?
    There are the addition of different formats. The popular ones seem to be unlimited(Everything is legal as far as I can tell) and Modified (Team Rocket set and below are illegal, I think.) Other than that, not much has changed. Just small things were added like Two-on-Two Battles, Dual types, "Poke-Body." They're just like "Poke-Powers" except Poke-bodies could come into effect at anytime, depending on what the description says. And "Supporter Trainer Cards" Those are basically Trainer cards that are "more useful" but you are limited to using them once per turn.

Another question I have is how do these leagues work, and do you need the new ex and such cards to be able to play?
    Hmm I'm not sure how the leagues run, but I think you can find some info about it at: https://op.pokemon-tcg.com/
    And you don't have to use the new "ex pokemon" yet, BUT! The new modified rules coming up for league tournaments basically force you to use cards from the Expedition set and up :\.

MiNuN*

『yakusoku no nohara』
    Years
    There is the "Supporter Card" which is attached to your Pok?mon and then discarded at the end of your turn but usually depends on its effect.
    The "Pok?-Body" ability, preferably refering to the description its got.
    You can play 2v2 battles, similar to the R/S game.
    Dual-Type Pok?mon, and thats about it.
    There are no rules changed, only on the Pok?mon card descriptions like "If your opponent as more than one defending Pok?mon" usually on the older ones they refer Defending Pok?mon as the active Pok?mon but now they use the bench Pok?mon as in-play and Defending pok?mon.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 24, 2005
    The "Modified" format includes the following sets...
    Expedition
    Aquapolis
    Skyridge
    EX: Ruby and Sapphire
    EX: Sandstorm
    EX: Dragons
    EX: Team Aqua vs Team Magma
    EX: Hidden Legends
    Nintendo promos (no Wizards blackstar or Wizards Best of Game)

Most of the tournaments these days are of the Modified or Limited variety, be prepared for that.

Most other rules changes are minor in nature and include...

Supporter (explained above)
    Mulligan (now draw 1 instead of 2)
    Pokemon Power split (explained above)
    Confusion (can retreat at any time, 3 damage counters for failed attack)
    First Turn (first player can't draw a card, can't evolve at all)

everything else can be found by reading the text of the newer cards.

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
    Years
    There is also a new condition which I don't know WHy people didn't know. You can now burn pokemon. And also I think frozen

Back