• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
    The hack looks good so far.

Btw, wondering, do you plan to add other types?
    Add more cards, etc?

That being said, just having made this hack is already very much appreciated. I am curious to see how this plays out. Thank you. :)

Adding other types, such as Dark and Steel, are beyond my ability. Besides, apparently I could only add 1 more free type anyway according to the internal code. This is the same with cards- although I might be able to add more pokemon by deleting some trainer cards. I am not sure honestly. Either way the number of cards in game is strictly at 228, no more, no less.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I am LOVING this so far! Just one thing: it seems that attacks that target a Pokemon on the bench (like Snipe) don't do anything. I accidentally cheesed a fight where the opponent wasted about five turns trying to Snipe one of my guys to no avail. Also Entei's Energy Burn doesn't work. :( Other than that everything seems to be working great.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
    I am LOVING this so far! Just one thing: it seems that attacks that target a Pokemon on the bench (like Snipe) don't do anything. I accidentally cheesed a fight where the opponent wasted about five turns trying to Snipe one of my guys to no avail. Also Entei's Energy Burn doesn't work. :( Other than that everything seems to be working great.

Yeah it turns out that Energy Burn doesn't recognize a discarded Fire Energy UNLESS it's from Charizard's Fire Spin code. Either that or Charmeleon's Flamethrower code is incompatible with Energy Burn. Go figure. Either way It's fixed and will be present in the next version. (Note to interested hackers: This discovery means that you can either only do a discard effect with Charizard's Fire Spin code, or no discard at all, for Energy Burn to function).

However, the Snipe glitch you mentioned... can you give me more details about it? I can't find it. From what I can tell, Snipe is working perfectly, dealing 20 to bench only and nothing more. I tested it several times and each time it worked.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah it turns out that Energy Burn doesn't recognize a discarded Fire Energy UNLESS it's from Charizard's Fire Spin code. Either that or Charmeleon's Flamethrower code is incompatible with Energy Burn. Go figure. Either way It's fixed and will be present in the next version. (Note to interested hackers: This discovery means that you can either only do a discard effect with Charizard's Fire Spin code, or no discard at all, for Energy Burn to function).

However, the Snipe glitch you mentioned... can you give me more details about it? I can't find it. From what I can tell, Snipe is working perfectly, dealing 20 to bench only and nothing more. I tested it several times and each time it worked.

No worries, maybe a functioning Entei would be too overpowered anyway. :p
    Glad to hear Snipe is working on your end. I don't really have any more details to give; just a match I had near the beginning of the game had the AI spamming Snipe but it not doing any damage to my Pokemon. But if you playtested it and it's working fine then maybe I'm remembering wrong or something.

Thanks again for the awesome hack! I sweeped with my usual strategy of building a Colourless-Fighting-Psychic deck loaded with basic Pokemon. 😁 Wigglytuff, Jynx, and Sudowoodo are the MVPs for sure.

Years
    • She/her/hers
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    Very cool.

Are still looking for the palettes for the booster packs? They're listed in src\data\scenes.asm. References are bolded below:

Spoiler:

So just open src\data\palettes1.asm and edit palette 101 for Colosseum.
    Open src\data\palettes2.asm and edit 102 for Evolution, 103 for Mystery, and 104 for Laboratory.

Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023

Cataclyptic

Years
    Very cool.

Are still looking for the palettes for the booster packs? They're listed in src\data\scenes.asm. References are bolded below:

Spoiler:

So just open src\data\palettes1.asm and edit palette 101 for Colosseum.
    Open src\data\palettes2.asm and edit 102 for Evolution, 103 for Mystery, and 104 for Laboratory.

View attachment 104866

Holy Arceus!! Thank you! I'm definitely getting on that!

Follow up question just so I can save time on this: What did you do to edit the image itself (not the colors)? I found two image files for each of the packs and was wondering if you know what each of them do? Also is it safe to assume you can only use 4 colors max + the logo and booster title colors?

^^^ Thank you for doing this! … unfortunately I don't understand most of it because I'm still a bad coder. You should post this somewhere where other people can see it though, so that other people can take a look at this code and maybe make these sorts of improvements to thier own hack.

On the other hand, if you want to PM me step by step on how to impliment this, I'll gladly listen. Especially if you know how to make both Dark and Steel types for the game too (as again, you can only add 1 custom type as is with the current code).

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/her/hers
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023

Follow up question just so I can save time on this: What did you do to edit the image itself (not the colors)? I found two image files for each of the packs and was wondering if you know what each of them do? Also is it safe to assume you can only use 4 colors max + the logo and booster title colors?

No prob.

Yeah, I used 4 colors max. You may be able to use more, since vanilla Colosseum has an extra color (Pikachu's cheeks), but I don't know how to map it correctly. I honestly have no idea what the second image is for.

I basically just replaced the 4 colors in my image with the exact 4 colors from the originals, then copied parts of my image over both of the original images. I attached my examples. Make sure the .png file's palette is ordered from light to dark, and remember to delete the .2bpp files.

Adding other types, such as Dark and Steel, are beyond my ability. Besides, apparently I could only add 1 more free type anyway according to the internal code. This is the same with cards- although I might be able to add more pokemon by deleting some trainer cards. I am not sure honestly. Either way the number of cards in game is strictly at 228, no more, no less.

I was able to get one additional type working by replacing the unused type. I also don't know how to add any more beyond that, though. Any interest?

I did it a while ago and I didn't document very well so I'd kinda have to reverse engineer it a bit. It's also a little messy; I had to get rid of the Pokedex number on the cards so I could replace the No symbol with the darkness symbol, and I had to give basic pokemon and energy the same big symbol so I could use one for dark. Good enough for me but might not be good enough for you.

In addition to the issues with a second new type in the code, the sorting screen would have to be revamped somehow because there's no room.

Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release) Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

Attachments

• examples.zip
      121.4 KB · Views: 8
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023

^^^ Thank you for doing this! … unfortunately I don't understand most of it because I'm still a bad coder. You should post this somewhere where other people can see it though, so that other people can take a look at this code and maybe make these sorts of improvements to thier own hack.

On the other hand, if you want to PM me step by step on how to impliment this, I'll gladly listen. Especially if you know how to make both Dark and Steel types for the game too (as again, you can only add 1 custom type as is with the current code).

I hope this patch will find you some use, it's not for adding dark/steel, but instead for uncapping the card limit. It is usable by applying it to a checked out poketcg git repository (https://github.com/pret/poketcg). The command is something like "git apply ducklett.patch".

This patch does a few main things:
    1) Moves the list of text pointers into its own ROM bank so we can easily expand it (before was stuck at the end of the first bank of text and was hard capped)
    2) Moves the list of cards into its own ROM bank so we can easily expand it (another pack issue that made it unexpandable)
    3) Adds a custom folder for graphics to convert them into the GBC format automatically via makefile
    4) Uses a Ducklett common card as an example to demonstrate how to use aforementioned features.

I'm probably not the one to STAN this, but if you feel anyone could use this patch, please distribute it. My blessing, my thanks, everyone enjoy. Also probably worth noting that pokedex numbers are capped at a single byte (255), so you'll have to deal with that in your mod accordingly.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
    I hope this patch will find you some use, it's not for adding dark/steel, but instead for uncapping the card limit. It is usable by applying it to a checked out poketcg git repository (https://github.com/pret/poketcg). The command is something like "git apply ducklett.patch".

This patch does a few main things:
    1) Moves the list of text pointers into its own ROM bank so we can easily expand it (before was stuck at the end of the first bank of text and was hard capped)
    2) Moves the list of cards into its own ROM bank so we can easily expand it (another pack issue that made it unexpandable)
    3) Adds a custom folder for graphics to convert them into the GBC format automatically via makefile
    4) Uses a Ducklett common card as an example to demonstrate how to use aforementioned features.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Hey, I tried to patch this but a few errors happened. First off, I did download it and I first put the whole thing into a separate file at the root of the test game (the file containing .github, .src, etc). I then got several errors. Something about 'trailing whitespace' and and then saying the makefile didn't exist.

So then I tried to put the main files (the ducklett patch, .git) into the root directory and it gave me several more errors that were different. This time it was a different varient of 'trailing whitespace' and then warning signs that the src files have expected types, which did not match. Example: "warning: src/constants/card_constants.asm has type 100755, expected 100644
    warning: src/data/cards.asm has type 100755, expected 100644
    "

Sorry I'm bad at this and have genuinely never patched a file to an asm hack before. What am I doing wrong?

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023
    [/SPOILER]
    Hey, I tried to patch this but a few errors happened. First off, I did download it and I first put the whole thing into a separate file at the root of the test game (the file containing .github, .src, etc). I then got several errors. Something about 'trailing whitespace' and and then saying the makefile didn't exist.

So then I tried to put the main files (the ducklett patch, .git) into the root directory and it gave me several more errors that were different. This time it was a different varient of 'trailing whitespace' and then warning signs that the src files have expected types, which did not match. Example: "warning: src/constants/card_constants.asm has type 100755, expected 100644
    warning: src/data/cards.asm has type 100755, expected 100644
    "

Sorry I'm bad at this and have genuinely never patched a file to an asm hack before. What am I doing wrong?

The trailing whitespace issues can be ignored. As for the makefile line issue, not sure why that line is kicking it but it seems to be across all my builds now too. At line ~106 in the makefile I inserted the line from the patch to make the rom build the .2bpp and .bin files for the .png ducklett card graphic. This line is a folder wildcard and should pick up any other cards you add. Hopefully that helps you make progress, I'll have to get back to the makefile weirdness when I have more time.

Cataclyptic

Years
    The trailing whitespace issues can be ignored. As for the makefile line issue, not sure why that line is kicking it but it seems to be across all my builds now too. At line ~106 in the makefile I inserted the line from the patch to make the rom build the .2bpp and .bin files for the .png ducklett card graphic. This line is a folder wildcard and should pick up any other cards you add. Hopefully that helps you make progress, I'll have to get back to the makefile weirdness when I have more time.

Alright. I may have use for your code if you get it up and running, more cards sounds fun…

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023
    Alright. I may have use for your code if you get it up and running, more cards sounds fun…

Looks like the Makefile took an accidental paste over a filename when I was working on it and therefore the patch couldn't find the appropriate context to insert the change (oops!). I have fixed it and updated the patch, link below.

It is worth noting that this patch technically breaks the opening of the game, as I replaced the card you need to play in the tutorial with Ducklett just for testing purposes. The important bits of the patch that I think you'll want for expanding your card table in your own mod:
    1. Anything to do with the src/custom folder. Where we actually store our custom data.
    2. Changes to src/layout.link - This moves the text offset pointer table and card pointer table into their own banks so we can expand them, allocates banks for our custom data
    3. src/constants/card_constants.asm, src/data/cards.asm, src/text/text_offsets.asm - For adding new cards to the card pointer table and text to the text pointer table
    4. Makefile - specifying folders you want the build system to auto compile pngs into gbc image formats

glhf!

https://gist.github.com/ButteredPotato/8835c96c791f2c47ad96f212dd5510fb

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
    Looks like the Makefile took an accidental paste over a filename when I was working on it and therefore the patch couldn't find the appropriate context to insert the change (oops!). I have fixed it and updated the patch, link below.

It is worth noting that this patch technically breaks the opening of the game, as I replaced the card you need to play in the tutorial with Ducklett just for testing purposes. The important bits of the patch that I think you'll want for expanding your card table in your own mod:
    1. Anything to do with the src/custom folder. Where we actually store our custom data.
    2. Changes to src/layout.link - This moves the text offset pointer table and card pointer table into their own banks so we can expand them, allocates banks for our custom data
    3. src/constants/card_constants.asm, src/data/cards.asm, src/text/text_offsets.asm - For adding new cards to the card pointer table and text to the text pointer table
    4. Makefile - specifying folders you want the build system to auto compile pngs into gbc image formats

glhf!

https://gist.github.com/ButteredPotato/8835c96c791f2c47ad96f212dd5510fb

I'm still getting errors. Is there a specific place where I need to put the .git and ducklett.patch files to get it to work?

EDIT: also out of curiosity, could you use this or a similar method to put in more booster packs as well?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2023
    I'm still getting errors. Is there a specific place where I need to put the .git and ducklett.patch files to get it to work?

It has to be applied to the base folder of the git repo via "git apply ducklett.patch". If you have changes already in the directory you may be colliding with those. The patch can be anywhere. It will still throw trailing whitespace warnings but again those can be ignored. It may be better for you to peacemeal copy the changes you need if you have already significantly modified your repo.

If you post the errors you're getting I can give you a little more direction. And yes to answer your edit question, you could make a similar change to add more boosters, decks, etc. There are plenty of empty banks for us to use, no need to be constrained to the way the original game was packed. You only have to be careful with making sure all the data for a pointer bank is contiguous (e.g. all cards are in a single uninterrupted block of memory spread over one or more rom banks) or most of the data macros break.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    This is what i've been waiting for. People are just making regular pokemon hacks and not even noticing the TCG gameboy games. You guys are amazing. thank you

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2023
    I would love a pack list of each cards in each pack and also maybe redo the pack arts and names?

Cataclyptic

Years
    I would love a pack list of each cards in each pack and also maybe redo the pack arts and names?

I am actually working on the pack arts as we speak! Thanks to other people telling me how to do it, I can now do it! I don't know when I'll be done though, as there is something else brewing that may cause it to take longer…

As for the set list, can confirm the other person's reply is accurate (assuming you want spoilers). I personally don't like spoiling anything.

Back