• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that are missing a type

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Pokemon types have been modified in some occasions, when steel was added for example magnemite earned its secondary type, and more recently, when the fairy type was added, a lot of pokemon gained or changed its type to fairy.
    Still, there are some pokemon that seem like they are from a determined type but they aren't. For example, charizard and its dragon type (which finally earned through one of its megaevolution). However, there are more pokemon that suffer this problem, the most obvious that come to my mind are:

Psyduck line: It screams psychic type, it even has "psy" in its name and learns a lot of psychic attacks.
    tumblr_m6sa0ibgXI1r7azfs.png

Ninetales: This pokemon is said to have mystical powers, and if Exeggutor has a secondary psychic type, what makes ninetales less worthy of it? Or maybe a ghost type, but ghost types are usually ghosts rather than pokemon with medium like powers.
    EP234_Ninetales_creando_la_ilusi%C3%B3n_de_una_hermosa_joven.jpg

Noctowl: yet another pokemon that could have suit psychic type. Noctowl is one of my favourite pokemon, but its boring normal flying type makes it a bit dull, and as it's more special oriented (in gen 2 normal and flying where both physical), noctowl would have rocked the psychic type.
    Noctowl_Confusion.png

Gyarados: Actually, I don't have much problem with its typing. I'm not sure why it has a flying type though (it's related to the legend that gave origin to magikarp-gyarados design or something?), but this thing looks more like a dragon or dark pokemon than a flying one.
    Crasher_Wake_Gyarados_Dragon_Rage.png

Well, those were the first ones that crossed my mind, do you have any ideas for other pokemon that could have suited another typing?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Nah, nothing in particular. I guess Ninetales should've been Fire/Psychic, but it didn't learn a whole range of Psychic type moves at the time.

Did you know that Gyarados was originally going to be a Water/Dragon type? However, at the time there was only one Dragon type move that always dealt 40 damage, so because of that, they had to change its type to avoid Gyarados being overpowered. Even if the Water/Flying typing is odd, I think it's for the best.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I was always very surprised that Groudon wasn't a Fire-type. I mean, he uses Fire attacks, he can dry out large bodies of water, and he was chased by Team >>Magma<<. Sure, his primal form will have the Fire-type added to it, but it's just weird that its original form is just Ground.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I was always very surprised that Groudon wasn't a Fire-type. I mean, he uses Fire attacks, he can dry out large bodies of water, and he was chased by Team >>Magma<<. Sure, his primal form will have the Fire-type added to it, but it's just weird that its original form is just Ground.
    I concur, I used Groudon as a fire type on my team in ruby.

Years
  • Yes, there are so many I think are missing a type...
    If there was a Sound type, for example, I think that the Jigglypuff line along with the Exploud and Noivern line would be the most obvious cases; pokemon such as Jynx, Politoed, Chimecho, Chatot, Kricketune and Meloetta also come to mind.
    As for actual existing types, the one that makes my blood boil the most is Luxray not being also a Dark type... Seriously?? Or Goodra not being a Dragon/Poison type...
    I agree with the Golduck line; other pokemon that I feel are missing a type are Venomoth ( Bug/Psychic ), Weezing ( Poison/Rock ), Typhlosion ( Fire/Ground ), Feraligatr ( Water/Dragon ), Sudowoodo ( Rock/Grass ), Sunflora ( Grass/Fire ), Dunsparce ( Normal/Dragon ), Masquerain ( Bug/Water ), Volbeat ( Bug/Electric ), Illumise ( Bug/Fairy ), Torkoal ( Fire/Rock ), Milotic ( Water/Fairy ), Glalie ( Ice/Rock ), Serperior ( Grass/Dragon ), Samurott ( Water/Fighting ), Lilligant ( Grass/Fairy ), Gothitelle ( Psychic/Dark ), Golurk ( Ghost/Steel ).
    It makes me so sad.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Luxray needs to be part dark type and i assume itll get it in a mega.
    Why for gyarados did it get dark type??
    No one saw it coming and come on it should be part dragon!
    And rapidash deserved to be part normal it looks purely like a horse with a pure white body i think when i look at it i see a normal type.
    And one more for no nocktowl i think once it evolves it should become part psychic but thats just my opinion...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When fairy-type was introduced prior to release of X and Y, I've felt that Celebi would be categorized here, considering how fairy-like its appearance seems to be. Though, this did not wind up to be our case, which definitely disappointed me. One advantage this typing would grant Celebi is being able to take dragon Pokémon down more easily, which I feel a ton of fans would find to be beneficial, including me.

Due to similar reasons, it would have been nice to see Jirachi become part fairy as well, I believe; its design could remind us of fairy-types pretty easily, and competitively, it would make things less difficult for this Pokémon overall. It's already good on its own, I understand, but slight upgrade wouldn't hurt.

Alongside, it'd also make sense if Roserade were categorized as psychic, as well as its pre-evolution, Roselia.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Due to similar reasons, it would have been nice to see Jirachi become part fairy as well, I believe; its design could remind us of fairy-types pretty easily, and competitively, it would make things less difficult for this Pokémon overall. It's already good on its own, I understand, but slight upgrade wouldn't hurt.
    Jiarachi would literally become a dragon SLAYER, considering its already advantageous Steel typing. PWOAH

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Prepare yourselves, this is going to be a huge list!

038MS.png
    Why are you not Fire/Psychic? Ninetales learns several Psychic moves and has supernatural powers.
    055MS.png
    You need Psychic as well. I mean, all Pokédex entries describe how Golduck has psychic powers, and he can learn a handfull of Psychic moves, yet it isn't Water/Psychic.
    160MS.png
    Feraligatr is evil and an alligator, enough reasons for it to be Dark right?
    164MS.png
    Again, Noctowl has Psychic powers as well, and can learn many Psychic moves.
    166MS.png
    Ledian has FISTS, learns several Fighting type moves, and even gets Iron Fist. I actually understand it isn't Fighting type, since its Attack stat is soo pathetically low.
    185MS.png
    You sir, are a tree. Y U NO GRASS?!?
    210MS.png
    Granbull needs Dark type. It is intimidating as hell, and gets Crunch and Bite, so...
    234MS.png
    What's with all the Psychic types? The afore mentioned reasons to Golduck, Noctowl and Ninetales apply to Stantler as well.
    245MS.png
    Water/Flying. OK, I get it. It can't fly, nor it has any wings. But it is the bringer of the northern wind! Suicune is more related to wind than it is to Water.
    249MS.png
    You. Lugia lives UNDERWATER, is the guardian of the SEA, can create WHIRLPOOLS, learns WATER type moves, can be found in WATER or near WATER in every game it is available in, and it is a Psychic/Flying type? Geez Game Freak, get your sh*t together.
    284MS.png
    Surskit; Bug/Water. Evolves; Bug/Flying. I get it gets wings, but that type combination is so cool!
    313MS.png
    It should be Bug/Electric, I don't know why.
    362MS.png
    It is literally made out of Rock, so it should be Ice/Rock.
    367MS.png
    Counterpart to Gorebyss. Huntail gets Dark type moves, Goreyss gets Psychic type moves. Huntail lives deep underwater, where it is DARK.
    368MS.png
    Like I said above, it should be Water/Psychic
    497MS.png
    Serperior should have been the first Grass/Dragon. I first thought it was Dragon actually.
    555MS.png
    It has huge fists and is super agressive. It should be Fire/Fighting.
    615MS.png
    When I first saw it, I thought it was Ice/Ghost. Therefore, it should be said type.
    622MS.png
    &
    623MS.png
    I thought it was something like Ice or Fighting type. Not Ground/Ghost. Make it Ice/Ghost or Fighting/Ghost.
    628MS.png
    Fighting/Flying, because 'MERICA.
    669MS.png
    and its evolutionairy line should be Fairy/Grass. I mean, it learns several Grass moves, it holds or is a flower, lives in Grass and has Flower Veil as ability.
    704MS.png
    And its evolutions should have been Dragon/Water. Probably too OP, but it at least makes sense.
    718MS.png
    I first thought it was like Ground/Poison, but nope, another Dragon legendary. I hope its future forms change its typing to Dark/Ground and Fairy/Ground.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    210MS.png
    Granbull needs Dark type. It is intimidating as hell, and gets Crunch and Bite, so...

Now that you say it, both Granbull and Mega Absol would be a lot more badass if they were dark-fairy.

When fairy-type was introduced prior to release of X and Y, I've felt that Celebi would be categorized here, considering how fairy-like its appearance seems to be. Though, this did not wind up to be our case, which definitely disappointed me. One advantage this typing would grant Celebi is being able to take dragon Pokémon down more easily, which I feel a ton of fans would find to be beneficial, including me.

Due to similar reasons, it would have been nice to see Jirachi become part fairy as well, I believe; its design could remind us of fairy-types pretty easily, and competitively, it would make things less difficult for this Pokémon overall. It's already good on its own, I understand, but slight upgrade wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, actually, most of the little event legendaries (I don't remember how people call that group of pokes) could fit the fairy type.
    Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Victini (well not so sure about victini). And Diance already is a fairy type. However, most of them have the psychic type which I like, so I ain't even mad.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I agree with most of the mentioned ones, but I'd also like to add Mismagius as a Ghost/Fairy. Since Mismagius has a witch-like appearance, and witch = magic = fairy, I'd think it would make sense. :) Also we need more non-cutesy fairy types. nothing against them though

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I agree with a lot of what you said, except Gyarados for being Dark. When it's Mega turned Dark, we couldn't understand it.. I don't really accept it!

I never think about ninetails being a fire1psychic type but now I otally see it!!
    Noctowl and Psyduck should be psychic too.

Gothitelle look like a Dark type, or maybe even ghost.

A lot of pokemon should be fairy and don't, like celebi.

I don't really understand why Heracross is part fight type...
    Nincanda being part rock type...

Dragalge shoul be a water type!! You have to use the fishing rod, it is in the water, it's a seahorse kind of... why it is not water type??

I don't understand why mega amphraros is part dragon type.. I would like to see it fairy type!! (this pokemon line is just too cute!)

With the story of cubone/marowak, I wonder why Marowak isn't a ghost type..

When I first saw Greninja and Chestnaught, I wanted Greninja to be water/fight and Chestnaught to be grass/dark.

I always imagine Porygon line being Psychic.

Audino, Miccino line should be fairy.

I never understood why gengar's line is part poison..

I don't like Palkia being a water type too..

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always thought Porygon was a psychic type and when I realized it was just a normal type I felt betrayed by all pokeknowledge. Can't help but think it should be completely psychic if not dual.

pkmin3033

I kinda think that Cresselia should have been made a Fairy-type as well with Gen VI...it has that ethereal quality to it. The Lake Guardians could have done with it as well; they all look like pixies to me.

Also...Torchic, Combusken and Blaziken are all clearly birds. Dual Fire/Flying would have made much more sense than Fire/Fighting.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    I always thought Porygon was a psychic type and when I realized it was just a normal type I felt betrayed by all pokeknowledge. Can't help but think it should be completely psychic if not dual.

I felt that way when I realised that ice wasn't super effective against rock, just against ground... I blame all the ground-rock pokemon from gen I for making me believe that

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I always assumed that any and every Pokemon colored black must have the additional dark-typing. The scatterbug evo-line for example would've made a rather interesting Bug/Dark dual-typing. Zebstrika is also desperate for the added Dark typing. Dark/Electric would made a great offensive combo, but defensively would be weak to Fighting, Ground and Fairy, three common offensive types.

Back