• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that you hate to love

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • In this thread, we discuss Pokemon you'd want to like of call one of your favourites, but it has a glaring flaw that prevents such?

Examples include Pokemon you think have great designs but awful stats, or a mon of one of your favourite types that you yhink has a bad design, or even something with good stats but a problematic moveset.

Do NOT misinterpret this thread title as another least favourite Pokemon thread or a Pokemon you grew on thread, the description I said above is what it is. I've tried thinking of a better title to be honest. "Pokemon you find hard to like" was another option for a title I thought. This thread is about mons you want to like but there's just a big enough problem that prevents such.

For my contribution, Samurott. Ever since it's debut, Samurott was my favourite starter of it's generation and only very recently is that no longer the case. But I cannot STAND it's stat distribution. In fact I despise how two of the gen5 starters are slow mixed attackers. But at least it got it better than the pig thanks to less weaknesses and personally I find it to be slightly better at taking hits.

But WHY is Samurott so slow in the first place!? It looks sleek, it has swords, why on earth is it so slow? In fact, if it were fast, that would solve so many problems with the gen5 starters altogether. We have Serperior which is fast and defense based, so how about Samurott be the fast and attack based one?

And I've also heard the complaint about " Samurott has swords but it's a special attacker". I can see how that's a problem even if that doesn't concern me (because Surf and Ice beam). But regardless, I just wished it was fast. I just wished two starters from the same generation didn't have similar stat distributions.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Title: Maybe something like "Flawed Pokemon you love?"

Good design, but bad stats: Wigglytuff. Undermines its good Hitpoints with bad Defense/Special Defense. Readjusted a 31 IV, 0 EV Wigglytuff's bases a bit. Turned down its Hitpoints. Created a set of bases that is just as much bulk, but more easily comparable. New statline:

Hitpoints: 74
    Attack: 70
    Defense: 74
    Special Attack: 85
    Special Defense: 81
    Speed: 45

Equals 429 base stats (a hair lower than its actual 435). Lands just under Gligar and Sneasel (and near some other fully evolved Pokemon like Quagsire, Sunflora, and Marowak).

Learns a lot of moves and has access to Competitive. Still struggles to accomplish anything.

Years
  • hmmm.... I guess Delibird?

I actually rather like the little derpy santa birb, but it learns only 2 moves via level up, meaning you will need TMs to even be able to use it...
    However it's pretty weak... I did actually try to use it once, but it didn't really manage to do much at all.
    Honestly the birb just feels like a first stage, but doesn't actually have an evo.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Shedinja. I quite like its Bug/Ghost typing, but its low stats and Wonder Guard 1HP gimmick make it nigh-unusable in regular gameplay without looking up movesets for every single trainer in the game.

Years
    • Seen today
    Conkeldurr - It's got great power, a diverse movepool, and good abilities, but I can hardly stand its design.

Diggersby - I like how they've made a regional rodent actually good, if only with a hidden ability. However, its design leaves something to be desired. I do like its shiny, though.

Cherrim - I like its Sunshine form, but don't care for its Overcast form. However, the design of its Overcast form isn't the problem here. Its ability, Flower Gift, boosts the Attack and Special Defense of it and its allies during sunlight. Why Attack and Special Defense? Why not Special Attack and Special Defense? Or Attack and Defense? Or, even better: all 4 stats? Also, its movepool is shallow.

Wormadam - These things are adorable, but their stats and movepools are abysmal. Also, Wormadam-Sand is the only fully evolved Bug/Ground type. Why?

Vikavolt - This thing should've gotten high Attack and Speed, not high Special Attack and low Speed. It's even slower than the first of its line, Grubbin! Why?

Forretress - I like its design, and it's got a very high Defense stat. However, I never get a chance to use it, unless I'm trying to complete the Pokedex or playing something like Mystery Dungeon or Conquest. It's meant for a defensive playstyle, and I'm more of an offensive player. Plus, its prevo is tough to train.

Pyukumuku - Same problem as Forretress, but even worse, because it has, like, no attacking moves.

Kingler - It's got high Attack and decent Defense, but its other stats aren't really good. It's too easy to overlook, even in its debut generation.

Stonjourner - I kinda like its design, and it's got high Attack and Defense. However, it's got a pretty weird face, and any Special attack could topple it.

Pyroar - Its Attack is too low. First of all, it's a lion, and second, it can get Moxie as an ability.

The Pidove line - Pidove is cute, but Tranquill annoys me and its design bothers me a bit. As for Unfezant, I like the male one, but the female one looks bland. Not to mention its stats and movepool.

Golisopod - Cool design, but I don't like its ability. This applies to Regigigas and Archeops too, although I love using the last one in ROM hacks in which it gets a better ability, or no ability at all.

And then there's a bunch of Pokemon with likable designs, but low stats, and in some cases also bad movepools. When I think of those Pokemon, I can come up with Butterfree, Arbok, Wigglytuff, Parasect, Ledian, Ariados, Jumpluff, Sunflora, Magcargo, Corsola, Beautifly, Dustox, Lunatone, Solrock, Tropius, Chimecho, Drifblim, Carnivine, Simisage, and Eldegoss.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Tropius is my top 3 favorite Pokémon of all time, but I'd be lying if I said I actually had fun using this thing in-game.

Years
  • Mothim. I absolutely adore its design. Setting aside the fact that I've almost never seen anyone else like it, its stats are pretty bad and it just is not very good at anything really. It does get some solid moves like Bug Buzz and Psychic but its special attack is the highest base stat it has at 94, so it doesn't particularly do much.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Delcatty - I adore its design, but its stats are pathetic. Delcatty's attack stat is slightly better than a Rattata's attack stat.

Audino - I adored this when the generation 5 Pokémon were revealed. Mega Audino helped, but it's not a fighter. Really disappointing that Audino is forever stuck as a support role or as an experience farming punching bag.

Lumineon, Kricketune, Masquerain - Cool designs with unique cries, but stats are barely useable.

Back