• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: The Great Galaxy

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2011
    • Developed in Game Maker

• To tell everybody the truth, the title has absolutely nothing to do with the story, it just describes the size of the game. Now most people think that when they make their own game they can say at the beginning that they'll have Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, AND Orre. Most likely those people will never finish their games, they will be abandoned and forgotten, and when most people hear me say; the title has absolutely nothing to do with the story, it just describes the size of the game. They would think I'm putting all the regions said above, well i'm not.

• The plot.
      I will not divulge anything too big, but to put it plain and simple...
    Spoiler:

• Features

1. Maybe some Fakémon i don't know
    2. A new region; Ziemiteren (Shea-me-tear-N)
    3. Fourth Generation environments (Pseudo 3d)
    4. More to come

• Screenshots.

• Videos
    3D Show off vid

You know how i said i WASN'T going to include hoenn. This is really just a test to show everyone the environment. Everything is subject to change. (Except the trees, cause i love those (GO B&W))

• Jobs.
    Scripters- needed, like a lot!
    Tile spriters- Needed a lot, but not as much as a scripter.
    Spriters- not very needed.
    Testers- Don't even ask.

• Credits.
    Me
    PokeGamer (don't know if he has a account here. He's on yoyogames.com)
    Kyledove (I think...)
    Dewitty for Trees
    If you notice in demos i will release in the future, something you made and i didn't credit you PM me.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Things look a little more 'squashed' than 'pseudo-3d', but I'm sure you'll be able to work on that while developing.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Yeah.. the "pseudo-3d" here is kinda ugly. I recommend for starters, somehow superimposing the sprites over your 3d layer. That way, they aren't distorted, and it gives the same appearance as the Diamond and Pearl 3d style and the "fully 3d" (Because apparently 2.5d = 3d now) Black and White.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    Might wanna work on that story and the features list. Other than that, there's not much I have to say.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    You realize if you want to do "pseudo 3d" you actually need 3d objects, its not just all 2d. Even though the "3d objects" are 2d, but they come out into the Z axis, which makes it 3d in my book. Bad explanation. But I think you get the point, its not 3d meshes but rectangles just made upright

Look at a great example

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2011
    Well...

one...
    What i meant by Pseudo-3D is that it's 2d pokemon game with an altered camera to show depth...

and two...
    It's squashed cause i had to shrink them 50% cause they were going to stretch the screen. the game itself works full screen.

Edit: Oh i forgot to say... I'm NOT a starter. i've been working on games for a couple years now. it wasn't until now that i'm posting it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    Well...

one...
    What i meant by Pseudo-3D is that it's 2d pokemon game with an altered camera to show depth...

and two...
    It's squashed cause i had to shrink them 50% cause they were going to stretch the screen. the game itself works full screen.

Edit: Oh i forgot to say... I'm NOT a starter. i've been working on games for a couple years now. it wasn't until now that i'm posting it.

Protip for the future:

In Paint, Image > Attributes > BOTH dimensions need to be changed, and the new dimensions need to have the same ratio as before [ie: original size 100 x 50 pixels, new one would be 50 x 25, 20 x 10, 10 x 5, anything with the same ratio]

In Photoshop, Image > Image Size > change either dimension to anything smaller with "constrain proportions" checked.

Either way, if it looks squashed because you changed the image size, the only way that makes sense is that the Height was changed more than the Width

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012

Is that the effect you want? I just resized it 50% width and 95% height

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
  • Pokemon: The Great Galaxy

Is that the effect you want? I just resized it 50% width and 95% height
    That screenie looks beautiful. You should take out the ones one the first post, they really made me cringe. They weren't bad, but the scrunched up images looked like this game wasn't being taken seriously and you weren't putting all your effort into it. I know you are putting a lot of effort into this, but presentation is half the battle.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    SlimShady, that isn't the game author.
    Seriously, your excuse is that you resized it FOR THE GAME WINDOW?! Ugh *facepalm* Game Maker can EASILY, change the screen size, or resize everything for you without looking like crap(and I don't mean in the sprite editor, try playing around with VIEWS)
    Also I recommend adding actual Z's to your game, makes it more interesting to climb cliffs and stairs.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2011
    i know i need to add that stuff. I'm still working on it. besides i have more important things to worry about. like the battle system.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    This is made in game maker right? If you want, I can track down the released source game maker file of the Pokemon Twilight by Game Fortress, its a really early version and buggy, but it got the battle system down

Height is 90.25% of original width is 50%

Last edited:

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • I doubt how good Pseudo 3D is going to end up looking like?

When we used to do that, instead of plotting points in a 3D (x,y,z), we would plot: (x/z, y/z) in 2D.
    But the weird thing is that your Video and your Images are stretched... which is bad.
    You just don't change the camera, you actually plot 3D objects. Also D/P camera makes an angle of 60* with the land.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    I believe he is using 3D functions, just not good.
    Sir, if you feel you need to focus more on the battle than trying to use a VIEW, you are seriously misguided.

Also don't pass out the source of Twilight, it's better he makes it himself so he has more control over it.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
    Years
  • Finally I see a Game Maker game out here. What are your using for the 3D, are you using a .dll or w3d or the such, because if you aren't I hope you know the d3d functions are deprecated.

Oh, by the way, I'm a GM scripter, I made a GM Pokemon game here long ago, you might want to check my old topic although I just started making my own Pokemon game. I am interested in your 3D however.

Last edited:

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    DaSpirit, the d3d_ functions are not outdated, there just a little basic. Also considering he can't setup the views correctly I doubt this is actually 3D.
    On a side note, what is w3d? or is it a typo of d3d?

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
    Years
  • w3d is a fake 3D engine made by some guy on the GMC. Aside from a few depth problems, it is pretty decent and was considering making a Pokemon game with it myself but then decided it would be easier to make it 2D and not waste time making it 3D. I really don't like d3d, they're pretty bad and they need to be updated. According to a GM Podcast, YoYoGames wants to revise the d3d functions in the next GM. And yeah, I guess I thought it was deprecated but I was mistaken, it was mplay that was really deprecated. I still dislike using the d3d functions, I have used them before a couple of times before. Games don't need to be 3D to be good.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah mplay isn't supported AT ALL, nor does it come close to working on most PC's, the alternative is 39dll, and it works very nicely.

Back