• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon The Kingdom of Meralas

JustKenneth

Developer Pokemon The Kingdom of Meralas
Years
  • Hello Community,

I would like to use this thread to announce the development of my Pokemon fan-game.
    Pokemon: The Kingdom of Meralas

I'm using RPG Maker XP for this project with Pokemon Essentials as the engine.
    I've been working on this game for about 2 months now, most of the time I was just
    messing around with the scripts and making good tilesets.
    I guess my Pokemon story started 20 years ago, when Pokemon Red and Blue changed my life.
    When I was a kid, I dreamt of being in a world filled with Pokemon... Now we have Pokemon Go! Woohoo! No, as soon as I found out about RPG Maker and Pokemon Essentials,
    I was hooked. I could imagine my own adventure...
    But very soon I was overwhelmed by the whole thing. Scripts? Events? What?
    So my first project sank faster than the Titanic. This time I took the time to AT LEAST know what I'm doing.

And so, my new project: Pokemon The Kingdom of Meralas.

"Have you ever heard of the old King Meralas, \PN?" Xhicco said while turning towards you.
    "No... Never heard of him." Xhicco paused for a moment, clearly thinking about where he'll begin his story. "Well \PN, it's no surprise you don't know him, he has been erased from all history books, let me tell you the story of the Old Kingdom." Xhicco whipped his poncho over his armchair and sat down.

The Kingdom of Meralas situates itself in the faraway region of Nicaua.
    Based on the old Aztec/Mayan mythology lore-wise and based on Central/South-America
    location-wise. Deserts, jungles and even mountains (where else can you get those Ice-types?).
    In short, region Nicaua is a somewhat poor place under a hot sun. But it's brimming with history. It is this history that is about to be uncovered. Long before modern civilization Nicaua was inhabited by several tribes, warring among another in proper medieval fashion.
    Eventually one tribe proved to be the strongest of all, the Tecuani.
    And their leader became the first ruler of Nicaua. He built golden temples and magnificent cities and his rule was long and without strife. Until one day white sails came in from the east,
    ships carrying armor-clad men, led by a man named Meralas. With him he brought Pokemon, never before seen on Nicaua and the Tecuani ruler believed that Meralas was the mythical god of the teachings. According to history, Meralas sloughtered all Tecuani, took their gold and fortune and set of to the east again, only to bring more despair with him back to Nicaua.
    But is this truly the story behind the myth? In present day, a cartel called Team Tecuani is trying to uncover the reason why history is so vague about this. This band of misfits doesn't shy away to use unlawful behavior to get to their goals.

And you? As a player? You just happen to get caught up in all of this.
    Because that's what a proper protagonist does.

I envision a non-linear Pokemon experience, without gyms or Pokemon League.
    Instead there will be MMO-like quests and story Missions. There will be a World Tournament, but it'll be completely(partially?) optional.
    Some features:
    - Quest Log: If you open the menu, you can access the quest log, to track all your missions!
    - Flight pads: HM02 is no more, sad but true. I went for a more MMO-like experience.
    - Semi-Open World: Pokemon Essentials lags when maps are too big, so I settled for medium sized maps. You can go where you want, but some places will be too much for a lvl 4 Pidgey.
    - Quests: Yes, not just story-missions, but sidequests. Some pokemon can only be obtained through these quests, you can tell an NPC to leave you alone. But you might just miss out on a rare find! For example, in the beginning of the game your mother asks you to get Moomoo milk.
    Simple enough, but you CAN say no. Your mom won't like it and you won't get the reward.
    - Egg incubator: Not quite like the Pokemon Go feature, but it will save party space. At the Daycare you can leave up to 3 eggs in an incubator, during your adventure you will be notified as soon as one of the eggs hatches, as it uses the same steps-mechanic [This feature is in development, help is always welcome].

Progress:
    0.0001%?? It's probably more than this, but it's another ambitious project, I hope I live long enough for it to see the light of day. I could use some assistance, any help is welcome.

Screenshots!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Credits:
    Makers of Pokemon Essentials
    Gamefreak
    Mobius (Quest log)
    Kyledove (tiles)
    and probably others I don't know of, I will update this if anyone notifies me.
    If you see stuff that belongs to you, please let me know!

Thank you for reading all of this!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Hey, that's quite a big project. You said any help is welcome, and even though im not that experienced, I might be able to help maybe with any further story writing/concept art, tell me if you're interested. Besides that it looks good so far although the menus could use some smoothening.

Last edited:
    Back