• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: The Tabletop RPG?

If Nintendo/Game Freak were to publish a Pokemon tabletop roleplay game, I would...

• Purchase the game with excitement.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Purchase the game without much enthusiasm.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Purchase the game after seeing what other people thought.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Not purchase the game. Period.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix_Mew

Trainer of all things adorable
Years
  • So, this was really the only place I could think to put this, as it IS labeled General Pokemon Gaming. It doesn't really fit anywhere else... So, if that's the case...

As of right now, Nintendo/Game Freak does not have a hold of the market tabletop role play game market. So, as a fan who's currently working on a completely fan-based (and please note, not for profit, period) prototype of what could be done in a tabletop roleplaying setting with the Pokemon world, I'm just curious to see what other Pokemon enthusiasts would think if such a thing were to hit the market.

Would you buy?

What would you want to see done with the game?

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • I personally wouldn't buy it. It sounds like an interesting idea, but if we look at some of the tabletop stuff released over the many years, it probably wouldn't be much different from those and would probably get many Pokemon enthusiasts that gravitate towards it, lumped in the same group as those who are players of... umm... the other tabletop stuff... o.o

Also, a personal reason; I don't really know enough people locally to even consider purchasing something like this. I have like... one friend who is into Pokemon who I'd be able to play it with and I personally doubt he would buy it, for much the same reason. (I'm assuming that a tabletop RPG would require more than one person to play, naturally) I'm personally happy enough with the Pokemon hand held console games.

But anyway, I wish you luck with your prototype.

Phoenix_Mew

Years
  • It's really not difficult to pick up at all. What I've managed to create is an extremely unique and individualized way to play Pokemon. It's so personal. Instead of putting yourself in a pre-generated character's shoes and following that one linear path to the end of a video game, you're able to explore the world as you want to with your friends. You'll capture the Pokemon you want to capture and train them in a new, innovative, and unique way.

Phoenix_Mew

Years
  • For those individuals that are voting in the poll (especially those who are saying they would not buy the game) I'd like to have some comments along with the votes. Simply because if you are confused or have questions, I'm sure I can at least try to answer them.

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • I would probably buy it just for the sake of buying it, but chances are I'd never get to play it. I've never played a tabletop rpg before, but if I did get the chance to play and learn, I'd probably want to learn with something I'm familiar with, so Pokemon would be ideal.

Like I said, I'd probably never play it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • A tabletop sounds cool, and really, if you've got enough geeks (like me) living in a certain area, we'd be willing to indulge in a bit of nostalgia and play. Besides, if there's a Sailor Moon tabletop, I'd say people would totally buy a Pokémon one.

All rambling aside, as for what I'd personally do, I'd have to know how the system works, really. For example, is it a d20 system? d10? d6? What kinds of stats are involved for both the humans and the pokémon? (As in, do humans get attributes like charisma and skills like investigation? Or are you basically just giving stats to the pokémon themselves? Additionally, are the pokémon getting attributes, or are you sticking to the stats of the video games?) How are battles going to be set up? Basically, that sort of thing. I'm always interested in the mechanics of tabletops, and usually, a well-built system that I can grasp easily will make me want to play it more.

In any case, good luck. I'll keep an eye on this thread. (Would you give us a link to a PDF preview as you continue working? I wouldn't mind beta-testing your system with a bunch of my RL friends if you need someone.)

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • There's a chance I'd buy in after I had seen what people thought...

But if it takes a long time to set up, like D&D, and even longer to play because of all the mechanics behind the game, then I'd probably be out. However, if it's nice and simple, I'd consider playing it.

Phoenix_Mew

Years
  • Right now, what I'm working on is a completely unique system. As it stands, no one established system works well in the Pokemon world. Because of that, I've had to pick and choose from here and there to create something that flows well for the established Pokemon world.

Right now, I've completed the battle system, and that itself is a mix of D20 and D%. The basics of the system are on a D% (you roll under your baseline to hit your opponent) and then Damage is done on more of a D20 basis. (Some attacks deal D4s in damage, while others deal D6s or even D10s in damage.) The Pokemon stats are set for each individual Pokemon at first level, and in the wild, will progress in a specific pattern unique to each species. Trained Pokemon, however, have the option for their trainers to increase stats in the way the trainer chooses. (You'll basically roll 2D6 when your Pokemon levels up and then split up those "points" between the stats as you choose.)

When it comes to the human classes, I'm still working on it. Alpha testing for the battle system happens tomorrow. When it comes to the beta test, I will consider putting out a PDF file, pending, of course, whether or not Nintendo/Game Freak and Pokemon USA, Inc wish to get involved.

Kamakazai

私は神の風午前!
    Years
  • I would buy, but it will cause more heat to pokemon if it were tobecome popular. Pokemon Haters would calls us the new dungeon's and dragon's nerds. But, I would still buy it!

Phoenix_Mew

Years
  • Pokemon already takes heat for being associated with Wizards of the Coast in producing the TCG. So I don't think the company itself would be too worried about supposed "backlash." But then again, I'm not a Nintendo/Game Freak representative. :D

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Probably not. Maybe when I was 8 or so (assuming this isn't a extremely different fan-fiction-like description kind of thing) before most of the pokemon community moved to the internet, because finding some one to play with wouldn't be as easy as Wi-Fi (assuming your Wi-fi has 2 or 3 bars)

Phoenix_Mew

Years
  • Well, I did the alpha test of my battle system yesterday, and I'd like to report that I was very pleased with the responses I got. Some of the comments tossed back and forth between my (admittedly small amount of playtesters) was that the system was very fun, easy to get a handle on, and works well with what Nintendo/Game Freak has already done with the Pokemon World.

The alpha test and my playtesters also showed me some flaws in my battle system that I'm happy to say have been edited. There were a few minor things to change and a couple things to add, and now the battle system works almost seamlessly.

I'm now working very hard to prepare for the beta test, which will be a test of how everything comes together. The first of my beta tests should be in the next few months. :D

WiiMann

I gots Heart Gold!! ^_^
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    I'd Buy it then play it non-stop for a month or two then get bored and go back to breeding on my diamond....then go back to the other game ...so yea i'd buy it

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I would absolutely love to play it, it sounds great. However, I wouldn't buy it. I'm the only person I know that still plays Pokemon.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I would get it after one of my friends told me it is good. I have little money and i spend on things that I think are necessary. For example, Platinum is necessary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back