• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Trading Card Game

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2014
    Does anyone still play the Pokemon Trading Card Game?

No, I'm not talking about the card game based on a video game. I'm talking about the video game that was based on the card game based on a video game :D

In other words, I'm talking about the classic Gameboy game!

It was great because it allowed you to play the TCG and have fun without having to dole out hundreds(!) of dollars for cool cards. When Nintendo announced their Pokemon Trading Card Game Online I had high hopes that it would be very similar to this game, except with social features. How disappointed I was when I found out it was nothing like that at all! Basically it just gives you a boring starter deck and you are supposed to buy real cards and input codes to get the online versions.

I hope that Nintendo will do something similar to what the Yu-gi-oh! series has done and make more console ports for their card game. That way people who love the card game's gameplay, but hate paying for all those cards can still enjoy the game. In the meantime I just have to replay this great game.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have virtually no memory of playing it - I do know that I completed the game - and, to this day, I've never played the actual TCG, but I definitely did play the Game Boy Colour game all those years ago. Reading up about it on Bulbapedia is resulting in a few memories coming back - the emails from Dr Mason! Card Pop! - but it's a shame that I can't remember more of it. I don't even know if I still have the cartridge; maybe it's worth plugging it in and giving the game another spin for old times sake?

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    I used to play it (along with the physical card game) but I haven't played it in years since I beat the game but...now that you mention it...I feel like playing it again^^

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • I'm playing it now actually. I found my old cartridge and my GBA some time ago and decided to play it again. Too bad my GBC isn't working anymore (I think it got soaked up when there was a storm and.. long story). I just downloaded a rom and played it on an emulator. It's really fun to play!

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Yes I still play it. One of my all time favorite spin off games of pokemon. I play it on emulator but I still have my old cartridge but it no longer works. I remember my little cousin gave me the game because she didn't know how to play and thought it was stupid.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    One of my favorite games period back when I was playing it a few years back, I really hope there can be another installment someday as much of a pipe dream as that is sadly.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I still love that game (dunno why......just never gets old). I had it in my old GBC until I found my ancient Pokemon Blue cartridge.

It does make me kinda sad when I see little kids trading their pokemon cards just looking at the HP numbers, not actually playing the pokemon card game itself. I loved playing that with my friends when I was their age.

Well, time goes by.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2013
    I never even knew there was a gameboy card game.. ehh. I can do without it anyways..

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
    Years
  • I still play it :D Most probably because I prefer the whole Wizard's reign of the TCG, cause when they swapped to Nintendo after Skyridge that's when I stopped playing.

It's a shame you couldn't get any Gym Heroes to Neo Genesis onwards in both TCG1 and 2 :/ But it's an amazing game nonetheless.

Years
  • I did play it before! A long time ago, it was actually fun, for being based on the card game which I dont play.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • And Imakuni? Now that I've looked at this thread a few times, all of the memories are coming back in full force. He was probably my favourite weird side character in all of Pokemon, if I'm being honest!

Years
  • My only memory of this game was when a friend of mine asked me if I understood anything about that game he had borrowed from someone. None of us understood it, so that's what I remember - I thought the game took place on a tropical island, and that the water club was a hotel with a swimming pool, haha, but I only got to see it for a few minutes.

More recently, though, I've played the game on emulator, and I absolutely love the music, especially the music for the Japan-only sequel. Search it up on YouTube! If Nintendo decided to release this game on the eshop, then I would gladly pay for it.

Oh, and Imakuni? is one of my favourite characters as well!

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
    Years
  • My only memory of this game was when a friend of mine asked me if I understood anything about that game he had borrowed from someone. None of us understood it, so that's what I remember - I thought the game took place on a tropical island, and that the water club was a hotel with a swimming pool, haha, but I only got to see it for a few minutes.

More recently, though, I've played the game on emulator, and I absolutely love the music, especially the music for the Japan-only sequel. Search it up on YouTube! If Nintendo decided to release this game on the eshop, then I would gladly pay for it.

Oh, and Imakuni? is one of my favourite characters as well!

Oh my goodness,

I thought I was like the only one who heard of, let alone liked that music! It's has one of the best Gameboy tracks I've ever heard. It definitely tops some GBA games in terms of music!

Yeah, I like Imakuni? too. Although he used to creepy me out as a kid, especially the artwork for his Imakuni? card.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    yup and I still play the GB game, it's one of my all time favorites :D,

I've been playing a partially translated version of the 2nd one, and it's a lot of fun, you can't read some of the dialogue but all the cards are translated, and there is a lot more of a story it seems.

Last edited:

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Ah the TCG Video Game. I enjoyed that game so much, too bad it was stolen along with several of my other GB games awhile back. :( Coincidentally, I was listening to a remix of the Grandmaster theme earlier, which reminds me, this game had a great soundtrack! And the Japan only sequel also had a great soundtrack!
    Though I agree that Imakuni? creeped me out when I first played this game. In fact, he still kind of does.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    Wow, I forgot about that game. That was a really fun game, but I ended up losing it when I was younger :/ I ended up playing it on an emulator and beating it that way, but it definitely wasnt the same!

Back