• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Tried to make Mega Flygon

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
Years
  • Pokémon - Nintendo Dream Interview

In the latest issue of the Japanese magazine, Nintendo Dream, Ken Sugimori was asked about the lack of the much-requested Mega Evolution, Mega Flygon. In it, he stated that while they had worked on concepts for Mega Flygon in Pokémon X & Y and again in Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, they could never get a good design to come together for it.

Infomation from Serebii.net

Well at least they tried. I aplaud pokemon for trying to make Mega Flygon.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I. Am. Disappoint.

Oh well... I don't think they'll add it to the Z version since this is mentioned so publicly.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    To be fair: it's hard to make something that's already awesome even more awesome. If there's ever going to be a Mega Flygon, it's probably so good, it eats Mega Rayquaza for breakfast {XD}

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Flygon has one of the best designs in the game, so of course they had to make a design that can rival it.

Still waiting on Mega Milotic news

blue

gucci
    Years
  • At least this shows they listen and appreciate the audience feedback. The fact that they have acknowledged this and attempted to create Mega Flygon is respectable enough. I'm almost certain we'll see more Mega Evolutions over the next few years, and Mega Flygon still has a good chance of happening.

Years
  • Couldn't make a good enough design eh? At least they actually tried which I do have to applause this interview, because it appears they really do care about what the fans want, even if it was never always successful in some cases.

Anyways, it does at least make me excited to see if they will reveal any more Megas in the next games.

Years
  • That is interesting, and at least it gives a sign that they might have tried to set out for what the viewers were out for.

But that's not an excuse we've heard many times.

Years
  • As has already been said, Mega Flygon would have been tough to pull of as Flygon is already one of the most creative, innovative, and aesthetically pleasing Pokemon designs to date, and trying to make an evolution to it was probably quite the challenge, and the whiplash of a design that may not live up to expectations was probably too much for them to risk. I agree with the decision, though I do want Flygon to get a Mega someday so that it becomes competitively viable!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Watch as everyone calls Sugimori a hypocrite by pointing out other Mega Evolution designs they disliked while showing off decent fanmade designs for Mega Flygon and ask for him to be replaced by another artist.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    How recent was the interview? Might have finally made a cool enough design for the next set of games since then. Makes me wonder what other Pokemon they tried making Megas for but ultimately couldn't work out.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • That's interesting. I had hoped a Mega Flygon would appear. This at least makes me feel better, knowing that Pokémon care about what the players want and enjoy, so that when it's not good enough, they don't just chuck it out there like some companies *AHEM EA AHEM* I would love to see a Mega Flygon one day, hopefully with a design to rival Flygon's amazing design.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I am also disappointed and a little surprised. They come out with pokemon that shouldn't even be pokemon, yet they couldn't come up with something for Flygon? I love this pokemon to pieces, and I blieve that they really could have worked harder on making a mega-evolution for it. It can't be any worse than some of them like Slowbro for example.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Flygon is one of the most overrated Pokémon in existence. It has a good design, but everyone acts like it's so godly, when it isn't. For battling it isn't that good either, learns its good moves really late and doesn't learn EQ by level up. It's also terrible to raise because Trapinch is too slow and Vibrava sucks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Flygon is one of the most overrated Pokémon in existence. It has a good design, but everyone acts like it's so godly, when it isn't. For battling it isn't that good either, learns its good moves really late and doesn't learn EQ by level up. It's also terrible to raise because Trapinch is too slow and Vibrava sucks.

You're wrong about Earthquake. All three of the Trapinch evolution family now get Earthquake by level-up. As of OR/AS, Trapinch learns all of its good moves at a reasonable pace; heck, it now comes with Rock Slide if you catch it in OR/AS now. IMO, Flygon is one of those Pokemon that needs a Mega Evolution to help its viability.

Anyway, after learning all this, I can see why Mega Flygon was a hard concept to string together. Maybe Game Freak was also having a hard time deciding whether it should be Bug/Dragon or stay Ground/Dragon, given its insectoid characteristics.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • You're wrong about Earthquake. All three of the Trapinch evolution family now get Earthquake by level-up. As of OR/AS, Trapinch learns all of its good moves at a reasonable pace; heck, it now comes with Rock Slide if you catch it in OR/AS now. IMO, Flygon is one of those Pokemon that needs a Mega Evolution to help its viability.

I don't play ORAS. I only used Flygon in Black 2, where it was less than stellar.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    "they could never get a good design to come together for it" yet they not only came up with Mega Latios/Latias which I find HIDEOUS but duplicate it so now they're identical except for their eyes, come on! :D

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Some of you saying: "they made things like Mega Lati@s and Mega Slowbro."
    If Game Freak did finish a design for Mega Flygon, but wasn't really what they wanted to be, it would most definitely suck. We would get a Flygon with only bigger wings or some messed up design. Would you want that? Then you would be complaining that they screwed up and should have done better.

The fandom sometimes....

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • You have to admit that Flygon is probably one of the Pokemon with the most fans, and it's not because it's powerful or anything, but because of its design. Charizard is a fan favorite mainly because it's a dragon, and the starter that most players picked when they first played. Other Megas are either needing the boost or just so popular amongst players.

Flygon isn't competitively viable, yet it has quite the huge portion of fans. People love Flygon because its simplistic yet charming design. Plus, Shiny Flygon looks awesome.

Of course they had to meet with the fans' expectations. If they use a random design willy nilly, it just won't do justice to Flygon. It's easy for a common fan to say "this mega looks stupid", but can you do better than them?

At least the Mega designs that Game Freak has made isn't overdoing it 'cause let's face it: The fan-made designs are sometimes a bit out there.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • After knowing this I kinda realized that making a mega is really difficult design wise specially if its one of those with great designs already..

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm a bit disappointed by this--if they couldn't find a good design for Mega Rayquaza, would they have just cancelled the entire Delta Episode story? I'm pretty sure they would have kept working until they found one that worked. Granted, Mega Rayquaza is much more necessary to this game specifically than Mega Flygon, but if they really wanted it to happen, wouldn't they have found a way to do so?

Back