• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Types

Years
  • Also, anybody else used to think Koffing and its evolution were Poison/Rock? I know they're supposed to be land mines but to me they just looked like floating rocks before I knew what they really were.

Ace.

Love Yourself
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    The first time I saw Gyarados I thought it was Water/Dragon but then found out it was part flying which is weird. Gengar in my opinion should be a pure ghost type since it doesn't match being poison. I also think Flying Types should just be pure Flying types instead of Normal/Flying like Togekiss, Pidgeot, Tranquill, etc.

Years
  • Ever see a Pokemon your first time around, without knowing its typing and instantly think, "Wow! Look at that awesome ___ type! I gotta catch it!" But then it turns out to be the opposite, or not what you expected.

I'll get to the point, this thread is to talk about Pokemon that have types that don't really fit it, or that should have a type added to it.

For example, (Keep in mind, I am a Dark type Trainer, so a lot of these examples will be of ones I think should be Dark)

Gyarados; Water/Flying type
    Why? Why is it flying? It can't even learn Fly! Same with Scyhter!

Seviper; Poison type
    Did most of you not think when you first saw this thing that it was at least going to be Dark typed? I mean, just look at it! It screams it!

Shinx, Luxio, Luxray; Electric type
    Maybe it's just me, but, at the least Luxio and Luxray look like they should be Dark type to me.

I could go on but, I'll save it for the discussion. What do you guys think? What Pokemon don't match their type(s)? Which Pokemon only have one type and should be dual-typed? Do you guys think GF should go back and re-type them, or just leave them as is?

Personally I think Gyrados should be Water/Dragon and in Gen. 1-3 just Water.

Also, you can usually tell a pokemon's type by looking at their coloration in relation to their body style.

Is that really what a Koffing is? I had no idea. Where did you hear this?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I am one of the people who feel that Luxray is missing the Dark typing there.

Regarding Gyarados, at least it has its line based on a legend on a flying/jumping carp that justifies its Flying typing.

Koffing being land mines doesn't sound quite right if only because they are airborne and gained Levitate too, although certainly it being a mine of a sort can work.

Years
  • Bellosom really surprised me. When I saw it, and learned it was an opposite evolution to Gloom, I thought straight away it would be Grass/Psychic. I was pretty disappointed to finally get one in-game and realise it was a Grass-type. Golduck as well... for so long I believed it was a Water/Psychic Pokemon. The anime didn't help, either. Also, I thought Tangela was Grass/Poison and Feraligatr was Water/Dark.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2014
    Blastoise... Shouldve been a water and steel type. And Hydreigon (being dark) should be able to learn shadowball

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    As a kid, I used to think Charizard was a dragon-type Pokémon. When I figured out that it wasn't, I was quite surprised. Most people consider Charizard to be a dragon, so I have no idea why they decided not to have dragon as one of its type. xD Also, when I first met Seviper and Zangoose in Pokémon Ruby, I used to think that they were part dark-type. They look so evil!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I was surprised with Mawile. I didn't expect it to be a steel type, I expected it to be normal type because it didn't seem to fit anything else.

I know it's been said many times before, but Gyarados really should have been water/dragon.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    On first glance I thought Cryogonal was Ice-Ghost and Darmanitan was Fire/Fighting. Feraligatr can be Water-Dark actually, and why is Masquerain Bug-Flying? Make it Bug-Water instead.

Pokemount

Hello
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    I've always thought Gyarados should be water/dragon, Luxray electric/dark, Golduck water/psychic. Just to name some off the top of my head.

Years
  • No matter how many times I play the game, I always look and say "Oh,a ___! Gotta have it!"

I tend to have a bad memory sometimes :3

Ayselipera

The biggest ones that come to mind are Golduck and Porygon. I've always thought Golduck should be a water/psychic and I've always mistaken Porygon as a Psychic type.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    That what I feel about charizard... it is technically a Dragon, an orange one..

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Faaaar too many to count. I'm going to try to list some uncommon ones.

1. Bulbasaur should not be Grass/Poison, but rather pure grass. No other starter type is anything but a single type, and it's the role of a starter to get new trainers into the hang of type match-ups. Ivysaur/Venusaur are fine.

2. Sableye. This pokemon literally ate so many rocks its eyes manifested into them, yet apparently gemstones didn't count as rocks until 4th gen.

3. Absol: Dark/Psychic. It can sense the future, yo.

4. Manaphy: Water/Psychic. Think about it... Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Victini are all part psychic, and having a water-psychic would have fit in perfectly. Manaphy has Heart Swap as its signature move, and has the same BST as the above.

Back