• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Pokemon Uranium download removed.

Years
  • So it's been a while since I've been on pc, and what brought me back was the shocking event that took place a few days ago. The fan game pokemon uranium can no longer be downloaded from the main site. There's an article here if you want more detail.https://bgr.com/2016/08/18/pokemon-uranium-download-removed-nintendo/

I was looking for a place to talk about this but I couldn't find one. So why talk about this exactly? Well, because despite the official download being removed from the website. It's very possible to download the game elsewhere. So I'm wondering what would happen if Nintendo or the Pokemon company found out about this. Or if they'd even be able to do anything about it. I mean, there have been several attempts to shut down the piratebay, but they way it's set up it would be nearly impossible unless there was a more serious crackdown. We kind of have a similar situation with Pokemon uranium. So many people already have it and are continuing to distribute it that it would be impossible to wipe it out.

Then there's the whole was this justified thing. Honestly I'm not sure. Since they did use the Pokemon brand name and this game was fairly popular, they didn't want it to overtake their games (like it had a chance). However, this is not the first time that Nintendo has unnecessarily taken other fan creations down. Youtube videos, and other fan projects. So clearly they don't care how hard you worked or what your intentions were. It's sad that they're giving people like that the middle finger when they could be hiring them. Obviously they don't have to hire everybody. But it's clear that they're are not discerning between honest fandom, and actual plagiarism. I'm not saying everybody who makes something should be hired or anything, but they could hire clearly talented people.

And lastly the future of fan creations. If anything based on a Nintendo property is put online, like maybe, a game. Then there's a good chance it will get taken down. So, is the solution to this to simply stop making fan games (poppycock!) or to change the name so that rather than, for example, instead of Pokemon uranium, it's called monster battling game? I don't have the answers. I'm not that creative. But I do look forward to talking about possible outcomes.

Feel free to add whatever you think you can to the discussion, Or expanding on what I've mentioned already.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Hm. Always sad to see the ugly monster side of Nintendo. Rather than embracing the love given from fans they decide it's best to make it known that no other can craft their own new Pokémon. I think that's Trubbish.

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2021
    Can someone please post some links for the game? I would like the official version.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Yeah I just read the news on torrent freak that Nintendo being too worried that Uranium would brings $$$ since Uranium been developed 10yrs top and Nintedo freaks out that uranium would ruins it's economy. RIP Uranium.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Maybe Nintendo doesn't want bad fanmade games to be associated with their IP? But then again they did the same for Metroid 2, which needed a remake badly.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Aren't the links removed on third-party sites and DMCA'd by Nintendo's lawyers, and the official download links are removed by the creators themselves and they haven't received a C&D yet? Just asking for clarification.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Maybe Nintendo doesn't want bad fanmade games to be associated with their IP? But then again they did the same for Metroid 2, which needed a remake badly.

I think they're more just jerks with a policy that doesn't fit in modern times. "C&D everything and anything that has any slight relation to any Nintendo IP" Fan-remakes of games, fan-art, hell there's even one case of someone making planters getting a C&D from them.

Guess they've never head of free brand promotion...

Back