• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon US version

Is the translation good or bad?

• Very good! I like it! The names are good too!

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • ITs ok...but the names are...meaningless

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Overall is...unfortunate =.=

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is very bad! Mistakes are always found! And the names are selected randomly

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I like the names! but the overall translation is not quite good.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Castrainer

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2006
    Dont ya think ya missed the forum?
    Whats US Version?
    Whats is this all about?
    How can i comment about something that i dont know?

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Castrainer said:
    Dont ya think ya missed the forum?
    Whats US Version?
    Whats is this all about?
    How can i comment about something that i dont know?
    It means ALL POKEMON GAMES in ENGLISH
    And the ENGLISH CARTOON SERIES (all generations)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I can't give specifics on the game. But NOA (Nintendo of America) usually does a really good job in translating. Or after the SuperNES generation at least. But NOA always tones down the content. Anything that is not "kid friendly" is either changed or removed. I don't know if that happened in Pokemon (I know it happened in Zelda. In one game a Mermaid lost her bra, it was changed to her loosing her necklace here). Same goes for the show, but I haven't seen it in Japanese so I wouldn't know.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm seriously indifferent to the English translation.

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
    Years
    Although I am usually surrounded by people on the internet who continuously mock the English versions of the show and games (such as dub names for both pokemon and humans), I actually find that they do a very good job. I like how they always make the names of the pokemon relate to their physical appearance, or how they base them off of some of the most interesting animals in the world and then make them look more interesting. I think that they do a good job dubbing the anime as well, atleast it isn't like DBZ where they just shade black on the places where they have a holw in their back, or something like that x_x;.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    TRIFORCE89 said:
    I can't give specifics on the game. But NOA (Nintendo of America) usually does a really good job in translating. Or after the SuperNES generation at least. But NOA always tones down the content. Anything that is not "kid friendly" is either changed or removed. I don't know if that happened in Pokemon (I know it happened in Zelda. In one game a Mermaid lost her bra, it was changed to her loosing her necklace here). Same goes for the show, but I haven't seen it in Japanese so I wouldn't know.
    I believe that was? Link?s Awakening correct? ^_^; It was part of the trading game I think.

@FT, I just hate the English language period. =D

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
    I think the US version isn't too shabby for a dub on an anime. The names are pretty much literally translated from what they mean. (Like Kasumi meaning "mist"...going to Misty.) It just makes me mad sometimes because a lot more things are censored in American society than in Japan. Japan freely displays its culture for what it is and kids understand what's appropriate and what's not. Here, kids just go and repeat what they see on television...and I think you know where I'm going from here since it's such a long topic to be discussed. Well, all languages have their own idiomatic expressions that can't directly be translated, so I guess it has to be Americanized one way or another so we can understand it. The only thing I really can't stand is that the minor characters' voices are done by the same people...and there's no change in voices or anything. It's the same voice over and over and over...>_<

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    How could I not like the English language version of anything? The other option is Japanese, and unfortunately I don't speak that language yet =/

I agree with Sayuri in that the dub voices for the minor characters are terrible...the voices are extreme and unrealistic, and I really appreciate realistic voices in an anime...it adds to the overall quality. Everyone's voices are just so cartoony on the American version, and they grate at my ears sometimes to the point of having to mute the television...that's the only criticism I can think of pertaining to the American version, besides my anger at their editing scenes and all that...I won't rest until Electric Soldier Porygon and The Ice Cave get english dubs!

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    TRIFORCE89 said:
    Oh I see...
    of course this is a lot mentally healthier.

What about the cartoon series though?

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I think that this would go better in the Pok?mon General forum, despite it being a poll. ^_^;

Anyways, I actually like the English version. Maybe because I've liked the show for so long, and I'm used to it. Like Chrystie said, they did a pretty decent job with coming up with names. (Like Misty, and Brock sounds like 'rock'.) I just hate that they use the same voice actors for several different characters, especially the minor ones. And I think that they've edited out some things, along with banning a few episodes. Especially that one with the man and the gun. I mean, come on. Just watch ONE episode of Totally Spies, or one of the Looney Tunes cartoons, and you will most likely see someone with a gun. No one was shot on that episode, right? Then I don't see why it should be banned when there are other children's shows that have the same thing in them, and they're American-made cartoons.

I also don't like that they haven't translated the Pokemon Hosou series. >=\ Those episodes are special, and they help you understand some important things in the regular series.

AJHalliwell

Forrest Green Gym- Person
    Years
    Has anyone heard of the Wobbuffet conundrum? In Japan, Wobbuffet's name is VERY similar for their "Thats right". But, not directly the same. So when it was translated, the translators weren't informed, so they came up with something meaningless, Wobbuffet! (I think the begining if for wobble, but I just got that this morning, LOL) But, the translators tried to repent! That's why Wobbefets pre-evolvment is Wynaut. (Why-Not)
    p.s.
    From now on when watching the Anime, when ever Wobbuffet says his name, (always) imagine him saying thats right! (Thats why him and Meowth argue at the end of the motto often) ANd why he pops out of jessies pokeball when ever she's says something.
    IE:
    Jessie: (depressed after, something, I dunno, I'm Making this uP!) "Oh, I guess I'm not the pretties girl in the world after all..."
    *Wobbuffet pops out!* "THATS righT!" *Jessie hits him*

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
    "It is very bad! Mistakes are always found! And the names are selected randomly" was my vote, and it is the truth, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the overall translation is not quite good, because it's ok, but it has very many errors and story changes.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    I just don't like the names and Subtitles...I don't like the theme songs---they are so different from the Japanese version.
    Oh well, but since so many ppl like it :P

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
    Seems to like what? The dub? Well yeah, I very much doubt many people here even know about the subs muchless download them. And most of them haven't even seen the japanese version at all, so what else would they vote for? All they can base their vote on is what they've seen.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Agree~
    You'll hate the English version if you've seen other versions!
    (You'll also hate the Taiwan version=.=)

Aedan

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Oh.. I cant compare to the japanese versions, but i can compare to the danish versions. Not in the games of course, but the episodes.

The danish voice actors are much better than the english ones ^^

Ash sounds to much like a brat in the english ones.. He still sounds like a brat in the danish versions, but not as much, you can tolerate hearing him speak *lol*

Back