• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon: Wisteria

What should I call this hack?

• Pokemon Wisteria

Votes: 93 53.4%
  • Pokemon Mauve

Votes: 48 27.6%
  • Pokemon Floral

Votes: 33 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    You haven't been reading tha thread have you? I have fixed all them glitches for next beta XP

Don't you start flaming me without searching, also, what rom are you using? Because when I give the rival the parcel it just makes a glitched up "you recieved X" noise that lasts the same length as the normal noise.

I am using Pokemon Red (U) for it on my DS. Both sounds are long and hope to see the next beta be better.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • Here is the mega update. Sorry it isn't so mega, I couldnt take many screenshots because my computer is lagging.

Pokemon: Wisteria

See if you can guess what region I am in...

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Here is the mega update. Sorry it isn't so mega, I couldnt take many screenshots because my computer is lagging.

See if you can guess what region I am in...

Kanto, no doubt. I like this hack, due to it being a RGBYGSC hack. You don't see those too much.

~Red

Years
  • Kanto, no doubt. I like this hack, due to it being a RGBYGSC hack. You don't see those too much.

There will be a reason you visit Kanto later on in the game. Did I also forget to say that this game will be ALOT harder than Red (maybe even harder than Brown).

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    To keep this thread going:
    You know you said that you would have 201 pokemon, well. will you only add new forms or also new pokemon from johto, hoenn, sinnoh etc.

~Red

Years
  • To keep this thread going:
    You know you said that you would have 201 pokemon, well. will you only add new forms or also new pokemon from johto, hoenn, sinnoh etc.

Unfortunatley, (and I cannot tell a lie) I do not know ASM or how the decompression of pokemon graphics in RGBY work so, if i wanted to add in new Pokemon, I would need someone to add in the pokemon pictures for me. With the 201 Pokemon I was planning on adding maybe new breeds of Pokemon that could cover up the Missingno. slots. I know how to do it, it's time consuming but i could do it. They will still have glitchy cries though ;) .

I have been researching about 'M and I might be able to delete him too so that the Old Man glitch wont work. Or I could just move the Old Man to a route or something where wild Pokemon data exists. Trust me, I will think of something.

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
    Years
  • for the map question, you should include rijon because there are (or will be soon) a few hacks with some (or most) of beta johto, and rijon is only in the rijon trilogy. But if you have space near the end of the hack, include beta johto too.

for adding new pokemon, may I suggest asking cbm about it. I saw on youtube that brown will (or already) have all the johto pokemon,so he could tell you how to insert them, and repoint the trainers, so you have more space for pokemon. Oh and if you run out of room, you can expand it out to 16 bits (as of now) to get more, well, room.

Last edited:

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    Yeah, that would be cool. And also AshandMisty said that Rijon or Naljo will be included.

P.S. Will you change the overworlds, to look more original or will you keep them as they are?

~Red

Years
  • Can I just say something: THIS HACK IS NOT DEAD. Hehe. Ok, so where to start? My laptop is busted BUT (don't get so disappointed please) I backed up Wisteria on a disc (yahoo!)

When I get a new computer I can start work on Wisteria again. Feel free to comment, I'm also looking for fresh new ideas for maps and things.

Yeah, that would be cool. And also AshandMisty said that Rijon or Naljo will be included.

P.S. Will you change the overworlds, to look more original or will you keep them as they are?

I may keep the overworld as it is. The idea was that the original game was very sexist (even though I am a male) I thought it would be alright to give the girls a chance. You play as a Lass instead. I play many games when you play as a girl e.g. Tomb Raider and Age of Time. Usually, games with males are all action and fast-paced while games with a female lead have more storyline and emotion. But that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2023
    So, this game is just a hack made of ideas you made for fake pokemon games before you started to hack?

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2022
    I want to play, so where is a working version?

I like the idea of this game, but I can't get it to play. I downloaded the IPS file from the first message and patched a copy of the same ROM I used for Pokemon Brown, so I know the ROM is OK. I didn't see any other files in this thread for Wisteria. Where is the file everyone else is using? I really do want to try out this game more.

I noticed several glitches and some things that would make the game better if changed.

First, the glitches.

-I talk to Mom and there are some lines of blank text at the end of her message.
    -I get the sample from the Pokemon Mart worker and get the "I like shorts" line and part of the Oak's parcel text written over top of what he should be saying.
    -The girl in the lower part of the school is sometimes inside the bookcase instead of in front of it. She also has her original text referring to Professor Oak instead of saying something about the school or Miss Green.
    -Miss Green has several glitchy sets of text. When she picks up the starter pokemon, it says "Miss Green took. ERROR 14."
    -The move Growl does damage. That's not good since there are many reasons to have non-damaging moves like Growl.
    -When I give the rival his parcel, the game freezes with a bunch of random pokemon cries and battle noises then keeps rewriting the same bit of text over again. This makes it so I can't play because I can't give the parcel to the rival and then have the sleeping old man wake up and get out of my way. I also can't buy any Pokeballs until the parcel is delivered.
    -The sign for the school says "Pokemon Private School" when I read it, then the "P" in the word "Private" changes to an x.

Now for my suggestions for improving this game and making it more Wisteria than Red. I don't know if any of these changes have already been made. I'm not trying to flame this game or the creator, I'm just going with the only version I have.

-The title screen still says "Red". It should say "Wisteria". I know it shows a girl there, but if you put the name of your hack there, it just looks better.
    -When you select the player name, the default names to choose from and the sprite are all male. Since you play as a girl, those names and sprite should be female.
    -When I got into the first battle at the school both sprites where those from Red and it shows my rival's name as who I'm battling. To go along with the story of this game, they should have both been female sprites because it is a girl player fighting Miss Green.
    -The map inside the rival's sister's house is the original one from Red. You've obviously changed the layout of the routes, so the maps should reflect that so players know where they are.
    -The parcel you are supposed to give to your rival is still named "Oak's Parcel" in the items list. I don't know if it's possible to make that line recognize whatever players name their rival, so it should at least be renamed to show "Rival's Parcel" in the items list.
    -The rival's sister still has her original text from Red. She should be talking about her brother being at the school.

Last edited:

~Red

Years
  • Ugh, sorry guys but I backed up the wrong file. I'm gonna continue from the BETA. I had fixed all those glitches you mentioned Baal, and the titlescreen thing is just because I cannot find it in TLP :p

On a lighter note, ive redone the tree tiles so they look more like advance. I'm not ready to show yet though.

~Red

Years
  • I guess this is a return. I'm now using a hex editor to modify text, the program I was using messed up everything.

Also, here is the latest addition to the hack, and yes, it will be in the final version :)

Enjoy Red lovers!

~Red

Years
  • I'm going out today but when I get back I'll post some new screens and revise the first post.

~Red

Years
  • How'd you edit music, I couldn't figure out how with Gold!

Coolboyman sent me a document containing information on where the music pointers and music data is installed. The document also contained a (limited) dictionary for what each byte meant in each channel. (I say limited because it only contains the basics, this is a good thing, it means I had to manually figure out how to implement percussion and different types of notes and understand how music worked!)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to distribute this document, but you can find the music data for route 25 (the music I edited) at the following addresses:

9DB9- "Backing tune"

9E4F- "Main tune"

9E9B- "Bass"

9F08- "Percussion"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back