• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon without the TRio?

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
  • I just had a thought, after watching an old episode. What would the anime be like without the Team Rocket Trio?

And, here's something else to think about. Think of all the people Ash and his friends come across. Nine out of ten times, the TRio seems to find a way to help through their blunders, whether to instill courage into a minor character in dire situations, to help one of the main character's Pokemon evolve, instill cooperation between two conflicting forces, and of course, even help Ash and friends every now and then.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but the TRio is quite the driving force behind the anime, second only to Ash.

What do all of you think?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Yes, they are absolutely fantastic. I hunger for the iconic TRio to appear in every episode. Any moment they aren't on screen is a waste of time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    The Anime would sure be a different object all together with out them, but they haven't ever tried it so no telling what it'd be like. Different? sure. But I don't think the anime would be the same without them.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • So when the comic relief wasn't being pushed onto the heroes, it made the Rockets absolutely boring because they had stopped being comic relief. We're only slowly recovering!

But does not having comical relief necessarily make them boring? Team Rocket may have been entertaining during OS, but the act got stale, especially by the end of DP. If that would have continued during BW, I think most fans would not have found their relief to be comical anymore. They were due for a change by the time BW aired, but whether or not their transformation into seriousness was the best direction, any change would be something that would have impressed half the fans and annoyed the other half.

As for the main topic, I have a hard time seeing how the anime would be without Team Rocket. A lot of plots depend on the actions of Team Rocket, but I guess it wouldn't be hard to replace them with wild Pokémon or other mischievous Trainers in that sense. But the lack of their development and their own stories and history would surely be missed and would take some depth out of the show as a whole.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    No TRio means no more seeing them get treated like monsters and humiliated at end of the day. No one gives them disproportionate retribution like Ash and his friends. I just wish they would fight random Rocket Grunts and cut the TRio a break.

Team Rocket was actually decent until the two-part Team Plasma arc got banned, yet we still had to put up with Iris, Cilan, and several scrappies. This time around, we actually have a decent cast (minus Clemont, who not only bosses Bonnie around, but takes the cake with the same "pull-the-person-away-from-a-girl" routine. Were they that desperate!?), but Team Rocket are back to being incompetent and still hated like monsters, and they'll never be awesome again.

We all know they're not evil or ever will be, so why keep dragging it out like some battered and abused animal, crying to be put out of its misery?

Years
  • At first, i felt like they were just filler characters and thought that they should have been like the usual grunts and serious, until i went and watched BW that is, i didn't like the TRio having a serious attitude in general. As for X/Y, now they're boring but it's isn't exactly worse. To tell you the truth, without TRio, the anime would feel a lot different, but after what they did to misty (and brock....especially him...) I would say, the chances of TRio getting cut out are possible.....not really a likely chance right now but it IS something i can picture them doing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    But does not having comical relief necessarily make them boring? Team Rocket may have been entertaining during OS, but the act got stale, especially by the end of DP. If that would have continued during BW, I think most fans would not have found their relief to be comical anymore. They were due for a change by the time BW aired, but whether or not their transformation into seriousness was the best direction, any change would be something that would have impressed half the fans and annoyed the other half.

To be honest, I wasn't exactly happy with how TR was handled either pre-BW or during BW. At least with the OS, in addition to having some comedic moments, they actually were played as genuine threats that the main protagonists actually needed to stop most of the time. In fact, I'd argue that keeping them in AG was a huge mistake, bigger than even their removing Misty, since from AG onwards up to BW, their actions were just pointless, very rarely did they even pose a genuine threat to the heroes, most of their actions could easily have been done by the villainous team of the region anyhow (heck, have Team Magma pursue Pikachu because he was a suitable host for the Red Orb, especially considering the events of the Groudon and Kyogre two-parter), and they came across as annoying and stupid, not to mention their disguises were so bad by that point that it only seemed to serve to make Ash and co. seem stupid, especially Ash and Brock who should know better. Even when we got to BW, where they admittedly did get serious, they did it in the absolute wrong manner, often times their serious plans came across as poor planning. Take the Meowth mole arc, for example. There were several episodes where it was treated as though Meowth actually did end up sacked by Team Rocket, and even Jessie and James confirmed it in a private conversation between themselves when there wasn't any chance of them being listened in by the main protagonists, yet then it turns out Meowth was actually a mole all along. Even Dogasu commented that arc was just poorly thought out. There were plenty of ways to hint at Meowth actually being a mole for the viewers without making the rest of the cast seem like idiots. Take the Dawn of X arc from the Mega Man Archie Comics serial. It's made obvious from Dr. Wily's private thoughts that he's intended to screw Mega Man and his allies over, yet he nonetheless is also depicted in a way that has everyone in-universe not suspect him of causing trouble for understandable reasons. If TR is to have comedic elements, fine, but at least make sure they actually are credible threats so they actually have a point towards being villains instead of just plucky comic relief characters. General Blue from Dragonball was extremely comical (heck, in the FUNimation dub, he even sounded a bit like James), yet even he proved to be a very dangerous threat to the main casts despite his comical demeanor (heck, Goku couldn't even beat him in a fair match without assistance thanks to Blue's psychic abilities).

As for the main topic, I have a hard time seeing how the anime would be without Team Rocket. A lot of plots depend on the actions of Team Rocket, but I guess it wouldn't be hard to replace them with wild Pokémon or other mischievous Trainers in that sense. But the lack of their development and their own stories and history would surely be missed and would take some depth out of the show as a whole.

It probably would have worked with AG onward, not sure about the OS, though.

Back