• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X/Y Battle System

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Seems like the animation is simple based. The combat isn't matched but they may have a variation of a couple attacks/defends/impacts and the special effects take care of most of the "work."
    I think a few pokemon will share skeleton types and it will be simply like this; kinda like how Stadium worked. Looks interesting!

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • The battle system sure looks interesting. They sure improved it, but I don't care about the battle system xD. I care about the storyline, features, events and starters.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I hope it doesn't slow down the actual turns though, Gen 5's battles are fast paced because the move animation's length were cut down. Or at least, it felt like it was to me.

Also, we've seen like 5 seconds of battle footage. The only difference from PBR could be that they've varied the animations the Pokemon go through when they're hit or attack each other. We have no idea if it's gonna feel more involved than PBR. I'll bet it'll feel the same as PBR did, shiny and new at first and then pretty much the console standard since Stadium.

Years
  • The whole 3D battle system sounds really cool. I just might actually invest in a new 3DS just for the ability to battle in 3D.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • The battle system sure has improved, from what I've seen in the trailer is that the moves now hit the Pokémon in real-time rather than the Pokémon getting hit... then waiting about a second for the HP loss. It's very much like how Stadium/Stadium 2/Colosseum/XD: Gale of Darkness/Battle Revolution work in how the Pokémon attack.

However, I hope when selecting attacks and stuff on the interface... that it's just as fast as Pokémon Black/White was. ;)

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • So far I'm loving how battles look. How it shifts view to the Pokemon attacking, and sometimes has them approach the opponent head on like in Battle Revolution. They almost remind me of the console games; the only viewpoint that's the same as the handheld games is what I'm assuming is the selecting an attack/"What will ThisPokemon do?" phase, as it looked that way in the trailer.

I just hope that this doesn't slow battles down to a pace like that of Colosseum/XD/PBR, as I really enjoyed the quick, intense speed of Gen V's battles. I don't want to have to turn battle animations off and miss all the awesomeness.

Victini

I didn't see this brought up but Masuda brought up something interesting at the end of the announcement. It was mentioned on pokejungle.

「プレイヤーとポケモンの絆が深くなることで、さらにポケモンが強くなる新しいバトルの仕組み。
    誰もが楽しめるシナリオと音楽」
    "A new battle mechanism in which Pokémon become stronger by having their bonds deepened with the player".
    .. Like pokejungle stated, take notice of how he says "a new battle mechanism".
    I think perhaps we have more to this new battle system than meets the eye. <33

I will be absolutely ecstatic if actually working for the happiness of your Pokemon does more than evolve them or boost a move's attack power (Return) , and instead grants them strength in battle. It'll really mimic the anime if this is truly a new system that'll be introduced! >w<

I have to wonder how that will work though... What do you guys think?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I don't think weather should apply during indoor battles. It doesn't make much sense when it's snowing in someone's house... And if a weather creating attack is used, and the battle ends before the five turns are up, then the weather should actually happen in the overworld for a short time after the battle is over.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I didn't see this brought up but Masuda brought up something interesting at the end of the announcement. It was mentioned on pokejungle.

.. Like pokejungle stated, take notice of how he says "a new battle mechanism".
    I think perhaps we have more to this new battle system than meets the eye. <33

I will be absolutely ecstatic if actually working for the happiness of your Pokemon does more than evolve them or boost a move's attack power (Return) , and instead grants them strength in battle. It'll really mimic the anime if this is truly a new system that'll be introduced! >w<

I have to wonder how that will work though... What do you guys think?

That can be quite interesting; liiiiike aside from basic pokemon happiness, maybe there can be a statistic of your own personal bond with your pokemon? There can be neat effects applied too; like when Ash faced Brandon; his sort of 'bond' with his Bulbasaur helped him snap out of confusion, and his 'bond' with Pikachu helped Pikachu dig deep to unfreeze himself from Regice's Ice Beam, and helped fully paralyze Regice.

Wellll... that's what I was thinking; like, say, status effects can be affected by these 'bonds'. Or maybe pokemon move power.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm hoping they don't replace the Level system with some sort of Bond substitution, I like the idea of new game mechanics but not if it replaces something that's been in the games for so long.

Victini

I'm hoping they don't replace the Level system with some sort of Bond substitution, I like the idea of new game mechanics but not if it replaces something that's been in the games for so long.

I don't think the idea is to replace the Level system. ><;
    I'm pretty sure their intentions, if this is true, is to add a Bond system alongside the Level system.

For instance, I imagine that every level a Pokemon has will be accompanied with 'ranks' of bonds, which are accordingly tied with the level based on the rank of the bond. Depending on the rank your bond with your Pokemon is, it'll have a certain effect on the Pokemon's power. Almost like what a buff does, if you are familiar with that from MMOs. It gives an additional number-based boost to an existing stat of your character. Then you have your de-buffs, which give a negative number-based reduction to an existing stat. That will probably be the effect given if the Pokemon doesn't like you.

I have a feeling the Bond system will work something like that.

And like Miss Doronjo said, it may have more advanced effects too! Like helping them snap out of time-based stat alterations much faster than normal, depending on the 'rank' again. :3

Last edited:

Piplup - Hacker

Scripter
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    The battle system is impressive! I love it! It actually makes you feel like you're in the pokemon world. Why can't it release already? ;-;

Back