• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow "Starters"

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I refused to use Pikachu when I battled Brock. I caught a Caterpie and a Nidoran, trained them, and evolved them. My Pikachu was at L25 (?) when I battled Misty. Piece of cake. :P

Years
  • The first time I played through, I'm pretty sure I just kept trying with Pikachu over and over (not even bothering to level up in between fights--Yellow was my first game) until I got frustrated and bugged my parents to let me use the internet to figure out what to do (back when we had Dial-up, too, so I couldn't just go on whenever I wanted). I then used Butterfree pretty much every time (and usually by the time I figured out Butterfree sucked, I was too attached to the thing to let it go--I believe I still had it with me when I faced the Elite 4 in several games). I think I've used Nidoran a couple of times (now that would be my Pokémon of choice, though), and I don't think I've ever used Mankey.

Nerketur

PokéScripter
    Years
  • I don't remember what I did. Last I played Yellow was years and years ago. I do know I was an absolute Pikachu fanatic at the time (Though less of one than today.) and I first tried the battle with only Pikachu. I don't remember the outcome. All I really remember of Yellow was having fun with Thundershocking Pidgeys! Man, I did that every time. xD It was like an obsession of mine, I kid thee not.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I trained up Pidgey to Pidgeotto and I forget if Quick Attacked Brock to fainting or if I gusted it. Considering I hadn't touched Yellow in six months excluding a few days ago(The day I started playing again <3)

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2011
    As soon as my Metapod became Butterfree I would use it to beat Brock. Other than that, I was once so clueless I trained Pikachu til' it knew Slam which was a huge waste of time...

Guest123_x1

During the time I've played Yellow, I've used Butterfree and Mankey for battling Brock (mostly Butterfree though). I've found Butterfree's Confusion to work particularly well since both Geodude and Onix have particularly low special stats (remember, this was before the Special stat was split into Special Attack and Special Defense-with Generation II).
    Early on, I thought the solution was to trade for a Bulbasaur (or any other Grass Pokémon) or Squirtle (or any other Water Pokémon) from Red or Blue.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • I always get a Pidgey and train it up so that it has sand-attack. I then sand-attack both of the pokemon until their accuracy can't drop anymore. Then I just use Pikachu to kill them since they can't hit me.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • While I have beaten Brock with only Pikachu before(using double team 6 times then tail whip 6 times then keep spamming quick attack) there has been times where I just get myself a Butterfree and hope I get lucky with confusion.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • Looking through this thread, I'm surprised I'm the only one that uses Pidgey. Pretty much all of my friends do it now too because of me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    I catch a caterpie, evolve him into a butterfree and raise him until about level 14-15 before i take on brock.

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
  • I used a Mankey which I deposited later on. My first strategy, however, was to train a Butterfree until it learns Confusion, but that was on an emulator before I bought the game, then I couldn't be bothered to do it as it took too long.

Back