• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow "Starters"

Years
  • After dozens of Failures with Pikachu
    I asked My brother and he said go look for another one in Viridian Forest

I caught a Caterpie, and then I took it out to the grass below Pewter City at the top of Route 2 to train it up.

Eventually I got it up to Level 30 and Took my Butterfree to the Gym (because I knew it had learned confusion by then, I had a feeling that it could beat Brock)

Then I challenged him, both Geodude and Onix were down, I had Won, Brock gave the Boulder Badge

-that's the story of how I beat Brock for the First time on Pokemon Yellow

(And to Last November, I thought that the best achievementon that game till I beat the Elite Four and So- called Champion about 5/6 Years after beating Brock)

Back to Present...

But Now: I use Mankey because it can learn Low Kick at Lv:9!

Years
  • When battling Brock, all I did was spam Double Team until he almost never hit me,
    then spammed Quick Attack. Worked fine for me, and I never had a problem! :D

-totodile42

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
  • I think when I was about five or so I just caught the Pidgeotto from viridian forest and trained it up to beat brock. Strangely it kept me going and ended up being my first level 100. I don't think I even caught anything else.

Buterfree, Nidoran, Beedrill, and Mankey can easily bring him down. Beedril has to rely on poisoning then stalling though.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I did use pikachu, because it was my first game, and I didn't know how to catch other pokemon. By the time I figured it out I had about a level 27 pikachu. Brock was still annoying, but potions fixed that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2013
    I caught myself a Caterpie or Metapod and evolved it into Butterfree. I didn't really think about using Nidoran or Mankey.

Hyperlust

Sassy McSasserson
    Years
  • okay, so we all know that you can't beat Brock with Pikachu, you have to catch others and raise them up to beat him. I'm just curious as to which one(s) you guys used to beat brock. I caught a Nidoran, raised him up, evolved him, and now i use my Nidoking more than Pikachu. anybody do anything similar to that? 8)

That's the exact, EXACT same thing I did. Right down to using the Nidoking more than the Pikachu. Stop spying on me.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I think Butterfree was my star pupil, but it was so many years ago. Can't imagine using anyone else, to be honest... never had a Nidoran in my life!

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Neverminddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Oharo

̣
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I went with the Nidoran route. But of course, I made my team so it could pretty much handle the gyms even after Brock.

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • Last time I played Yellow I didn't use Pikachu at all, I purposly lost against Gary and caught a Caterpie to take care of Brock and Mt. Moon (I released shortly after I got Bulbasaur and Charmander). Pikachu was left in the day care as soon as I got there as I was curious about how much it would grow over the game (it got to about level 50 by the time I stopped playing). My team consisted of Eevee, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • On my first run through of yellow, I raised a Mankey, to take out brock. I never like more than 2 pokemon going into Mt. Moon

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I just train Pikachu to lv 15 and spam double team and tail whip if I'm not in a hurry to beat the game. If I do happen to be in a hurry, I just go with Mankey or Nidoran.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2011
    For about 5 years I didnt know how to save my game so daily i would have to raise my caterpie those grueling 8 or so levels :) Ahh memories

Back