• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pokemon Yellow "Starters"

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
Years
  • My very first time I played Yellow, I was really little, so I didn't know what to expect. I just had my Pikachu, a Nidoran female, and a Butterfree. I quickly figured out a level 14 Pikachu was useless against Brock's pokemon and just double kicked + confusion'd his pokemon to death. x3

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
  • When i first played yellow as a kid i did it the dumb way by training pikachu up to like 25 or something when i recently played yellow i did it the smart way and got a butterfree

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I remember a childhood friend quit the Pokémon series altogether as he couldn't get past Brock. Somehow he managed to train Pikachu to level 40-something by raw failure... resulting in win. The poor feller still didn't literally win.. :3

If I recall correctly, in my first Yellow I used the typical Pidgey as a shield to defeat Geodude and weaken Onix, then when he/she faints I switch out to Pikachu to get my EXP :D.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I'm playing Yellow on my iPod, and, even though I haven't even gotten to Pewter City yet, I'm training a Pidgey, Mankey, and Nidoran♂.

Last edited:

LeafeonxxEeveexxEspeon

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • Mankey, which seems to be the popular answer here. I used a Nidoran only once, but I'm not a fan -__- I trained my Pikachu until he was hella strong, though, so it wasn't a tough battle even though my Mankey didn't last through it.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • When I was little I just used Pikachu with quick attack and slam. I don't think I ever tried it with anything else. But when I played Yellow again over the summer, I was a much smarter me, and just caught a nidoran for double kick on onix and a butterfree for confusion on geodude.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I loved the way you had to have Pikachu it was an unexpected and new twist! I also liked the fact that you could get Bulbasaur, Squirtle & Charmander too.. but that was only found out once Id played a second time

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
    Years
  • I know I used Butterfree. In the end, I only had 4 guys on my team, two of them being Pikachu and butterfree.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I just kept Pikachu. I gave it a bit of steroids, ran with it a bit, then bam, Onix is down.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I remember raising both a Mankey and a Caterpie (which evolved into a Butterfree) before reaching Pewter City. I can't quite remember which of the two I used to beat Brock. My money's on Mankey, because I remember keeping him on my team until Silph Co. I later traded one over to Ruby at the beginning of the game (along with some other Kanto Pokés from FireRed, just because I wanted my favorite ones back in Hoenn). I still have Primeape on my team on that game, so I must have gained a lot of admiration for it, that which I don't have for it anymore.

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
  • i recently beat brock again and my team was male nidoran lv. 14 metapod lv.8 pidgeotto lv.18 pikachu lv.20, yup talk about overleveld but i did it to be on the safe side [turbo speed helped lol]

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
  • I did something I think a lot of people can relate to me with..... grinding a Caterpie until it was a Butterfree and learned confusion.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2011
    I remember the first time I played I had both Nidorino and Nidorina, and later they were both on my team as like level 70 Nidokings and Queens, they actually are really good although they did lag behind the real starters and mewtwo. I replayed yellow quite recently and that time I used a butterfree, which I ditched when after I defeated surge.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I kept Pikachu, but I also had a Nidorino with me. it went along pretty great. :)

Back