• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon You Can't Believe You Caught So Easily

Years
  • I haven't seen any other thread like this so I guess it's ok to start this one (If it's in the wrong place please move it thank you ^^).

Are there any pokemon you've caught that you couldn't believe you caught? For example I just caught Metang and I had encountered it only 2 or 3 times earlier and only used 2 ultraballs before I caught it. :D I've read how people have used heaps and heaps of pokeballs and didn't get it at all or caught it after they used quite a lot of them.

Anyone else have a similar story? c:

Last edited by a moderator:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Well, ever since Gen.5 I found out the legendaries seem somewhat easier to catch nowadays. I remember when playing Red/Blue/Yellow when catching the legendary birds, or Mewtwo, you actually MISSED your Pokeballs sometimes, it was actually hard. In Gold/Silver/Crystal and Gen.3 it was still kinda hard to catch the legendaries.

But, let's skip to Gen.6, I stocked up on so many Dusk Balls because I wanted to catch Yveltal in one, and on the first try I already caught it, so that was sooner than expected :) Same story for Zygarde though :)

I am aware they probably make the Pokemon games earlier for the younger crowds, but on the other hand I really liked to put so many effort in catching a legendary Pokemon (in my case). Sweaty hands as kids and the agonizing focus moment on your Pokeball if it would "wiggle" often enough to catch your Pokemon...
    So many great times... Now I just know I only need like 10 Great Balls max. to take with me when catching a Legendary ;P (instead of 50+ or buy as many pokeballs as you could when I was a kid)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Just caught Ho-Oh at lvl.70 in Soul Silver today with a fastball. I was two turns in when I went to pour myself a little drink and I came back to find it had been captured. I thought that was a decent surprise.

Also, the only Pokeballs I carry in Pokemon Y version are Luxury Balls and I have about 180+ right now. Being rich certainly does have it's perks.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd say there is a couple, yeah.

Off top of my head right now, one would be Charmander in Friend Safari (at least I believe it was); I've never encountered any wild starter Pokémon before (aside from Pal Park in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, as it didn't seem to have the same effect, unfortunately), I was pretty shocked, and was rather excited to have it captured.

Aside from that, would be shiny Litleo; I've encountered one of these at beginning of Y version, but sadly, I wasn't able to successfully capture, as it had fainted before I was able to do anything. Luckily, I ran into another shiny Litleo later throughout, which I caught without much trouble at all; it was heart-pumping!

I don't find myself stumbling onto shiny Pokémon as much as some other players (in terms of luck, not chaining), so it's always an fun-filled experience.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I remember capturing Abra being a pain in the ass back when I played Gen III games a lot, so I literally squealed like a little girl when I immediately caught one in Omega Ruby the other day. I encountered it in Granite Cave and decided to throw a Poke Ball and I caught it! :D

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • When I caught Xerneas on the 3rd pokeball >_> I believe I used an ultra ball on it too after wittling down its health but I was like "wtf". I remember catching legendaries used to be so hard and they used to tear my team up or I'd run out of the pokeball I wanted to use. When I get to Kyogre in AS I hope it is at least a challenge

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    in soul silver, i caught groudon in a pesoball at 1st try xD, i couldn't believe that i catched it haha.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Giratina in Platinum, Had it on the second Ultra Ball. I didn't realise at the time that it's actually got an incredibly low capture rate so, looking back, I'm pretty pleased. Shame the same couldn't be said of my later playthroughs.

Years
  • When I first played White 2 back in October 2012, I was trying to get myself a Terrakion with good stats all-around, and I caught it in one ball twice in a row (and one of them was an Ultra Ball), but neither time did it have the stats I was longing for. The third try I didn't get it as quickly, but I got it in a pretty low amount of time.

In that same game, I caught Cresselia in a Quick Ball.

That's one instance I can think of at the moment, i'm sure there are others that will come to mind later.

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • I caught Rayquaza in OR on my 4th Ultra Ball. I think it was the 5th one with Cresselia.
    Primal Groudon was actually pretty easy to catch as well.

Other games, I didn't get so lucky. Well, in Black, I caught like 80% of regular Pokemon with the first Ultra Ball. I think I had an easy time with Dialga as well in Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ho-oh in Crystal with my second Pokéball at over 70% HP.
    Rayquaza in Alpha Sapphire with my third and last Premiere Ball.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Groudon with full health in a Pokéball after everything else died and I just chucked it as a joke. I don't understand how these things work sometimes.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    Groudon with full health in a Pokéball after everything else died and I just chucked it as a joke. I don't understand how these things work sometimes.

I had a friend of mine do exactly the same. After the ridiculous lengths of time I have spent attempting to catch Groudon in so many games I could have slapped the guy when he told me!

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2016
    Considering Primal Groudon has a 770 BST, a low catch rate, and was higher levelled than all of my Pokemon, I wasn't expecting to catch it with my second Ultra Ball. And pretty much every other legendary was easy to catch, including Rayquaza and Deoxys.

...Of course, this was made up for by Virizion being extremely annoying to catch, requiring four resets even when I had 40+ Pokeballs (about 25 of which were Ultra Balls).

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • In Pokemon Black I was able to catch Cobalion after two tries. I used a timer ball on the first try and an ultra ball on the second. I think I pretty much got lucky

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    I remember catching Dialga in Diamond like this:

I used Close Combat with Staraptor, which left Dialga wuth about 5 HP. Then I threw a PokéBall and caught it. I was like WTF!?

Years
  • Abra. Those darn Abras and their Teleport. The best feeling was when I encountered one on a Psychic Monotype Challenge last year and I threw one Pokeball at the first one I saw and I caught it. I was looking at the screen in slight disbelief considering this Abra was level 7 and, to my recollection, I have never caught a Pokemon above level 5 at full health with a Pokeball.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    When I replayed Crystal a while ago I caught Lugia with only one Ultra Ball. My whole setup beforehand took way longer than the fight itself. xD

Back