• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you unexpectedly fell in love with

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 3, 2013
Abra. I always hated Abrakadabra for some reason in the show, but I ended up catching one and levelling it up to its final form. Damn thing is a beast. Now it's one of my essential starting pokemon and I love using it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
Ralts. When Ruby and Sapphire first came out, and I started to play through the game I came to realize there weren't very many Pokemon designs from the 3rd gen I could even stand. I picked Mudkip as my starter because to me it was the least dumb looking. But when you have to help Willy catch his Ralts, I feel in love with it and had to get one myself. I also liked Beldum's line but you didn't get one until the end of the game so it have much of an impact on my opinion of the new generation.

Over the years quite a few more gen 3's Pokemon have grown on me but Ralts will always be among my all time favorites and a main part of my parties since gen 3.

Last edited:
Years
Got a few..

Black 2 was an interesting experience because I had access to dudes early on that I never got the chance to try.. One such case was Probopass. I evolved it on a whim while I was still in chargestone cave leveling up a bit. I was totally set on having an Azumarill as a tank, but when I saw Probo's evolved stats, there really was no comparison. Dragons where a big weakness in my team, Probopass had the ability to tank outrages and dragon pulses like a champ.. so I gave it the move ice punch from move tutors. Its a shame Probo's attack stat was so dismal.. otherwise he would make the prefect anti-dragon fortress.. at least in story mode.

I was taken off guard on Machamp's badassery in fourth gen. Never really used one before that, and it was basically the staple of the team.

Flabebe is also surprisingly tough. Like others have said, I wasn't expecting it to be so tough when taking hits. Its certainly got some pretty good power behind it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Tentacruel fits this description actually.
Of course while playing gen 1 I, like any other player, was sick and tired of those ****ing Tentacools being everywhere. But for some reason someday I just caught it and trained it and loved it since. Tentacool is a useless creature, but it's evolution is actually a really good fighter. It became even better when it got the ability Liquid Ooze. And water/poison is a cool mix anyway.
All of that and my fascination for jellyfish in the real world made Tentacruel become one of my favorites, if not even the absolute favorite Pokémon.

I also have a passion for Farfetch'd. It's just a duck with a leek stalk. Also, maybe I'm just too stupid to use it right, but it's an absolutely useless Pokémon. I really wish it would get an evolution or something.
There is really no reason for it, but I just really like this Pokémon.

-- Matt

Years
Before X and Y were released, a Pokemon that started to grow me more was Ampharos. From seeing its fabulous Megavolution, I felt I had to had one. Therefore, I trained a Mareep I got from the Dreamworld on my Pokemon Black into an Ampharos. However, I don't know if I want to transfer it to Y as I already have an Ampharos there.

As I have been playing Pokemon Y, two Pokemon that didn't expect to like so much are Aromatisse and the Goomy line. Before, when I saw Spritzee and Aromatisse through the news, I thought they were nice-looking Pokes. But now after using one, I really appreciate the line. I'm captivated by Aromatisse's looks, cry, and moveset. As for the Goomy line, I was kind of spoiled of its image here on Pokecommunity so I wonder what kind of Pokemon it was. It turned out it was a Dragon type but it just looks so derpy that I had to train one!

Along with those, there are Pokemon that I've trained on Pokemon Y that never got to use on my other games like Scrafty, Toxicroak, and Crustle.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 26, 2013
I'd have to say Florges. I caught a Flabebe early on in the game and kept her on my team just because she was a fairy type, but she didn't show much potential until she was in the late 50s. At the moment my Florges is currently level 73 and is absolutely amazing!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Rattata. It was an annoying sight during my childhood days, but one time I did a (Pk Silver) challenge run to use unusual pokemon under some conditions -- one of those pokemon had to be Rattata. Since I had to stick with him through the end, I checked up on what it can do, and found out it could learn some neat moves to cover a lot of weaknesses. I realized that he wasn't as bad as I thought. I even wondered how I started to dislike him. Maybe because team rocket used him so much? Hyper fang sweeping me early on? Nonetheless, Flame Wheel, Iron Tail... seeing something so small and wimpy take on iron snakes and giant boulders just turned my whole world upside down. You truly find pleasure in even the smallest things.

Guy

just a guy
Years
As of most recently, Carbink. When it first leaked online I didn't pay much attention to it. Then pure luck struck and I managed to find one of my own. I don't know what it was, but it was like love at second sight (because the first time was from the leak, remember?). I just wanted to catch it and pet it. I didn't even care that it was just a floating rock, it was cuuuuuute! It's floppy ears, its little head poking out of its body. Ugh, I just love it. I love it so much.

Come to think of it, Gen VI has made me fall in love with a lot of Pokémon, both old and new, that I had only just liked before. Carbink is the standout though.

Vairan

Hurr, Mah 3DS Is Blue
Years
Hawklucha. I didn't really want to out myself as a bad player but i spent a good 10 minutes trying to whittle the little buggers health down so i could capture it. I was using a tyrunt and the prick of a budgie had roost and encore. When i finally got it he got a slot on my team despite having no evo. He put up a good fight and he is now one of my favorite pokemon. (Yes i called him Dwayne. Who didn't?)

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
Banette. It was just a monotype ghost with nothing going for it. But after awhile I realized I'm attracted to its design and I loved the idea behind it. It got a cool looking mega evolution this generation which makes me happy. I'm finally (probably) going to use it!

Skuntank. I love skunks but when I saw that the Pokemon they made was basically a fart Pokemon I was like.. Gah. I thought they could have made the face a bit cuter as well. But it grew on me, it's a skunk and I love skunks.

Noivern. I love bats and wyverns, but when Noivern was first released I was disappointed in it's color clashing design. I was later disappointed in it's typing. And then it's stats when they were released. But then I saw little Noibat, which I fell in love with immediately, and after that I started finding Noivern more and more appealing. And now it's one of my favorites.

Itchy M3rcy

What's the plan Hitmonchan?
Years
Chandelure, I remember i caught and trained a litwick just for the need of another Ghost type and just simply fell in LOVE with it!

Back