• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokemonOnline?

RomsMaster

N00B Master (and what)
    Years
    (I dont know if this is the correct place to post this, but....)

How can I make a website in which you can play pokemon (like POKEMONCRATER). I've been wanting to make one since PokemonCrater was shut down but I dont know where to start!
    (In case any of u dont know PokemonCrater was a website on which you chose a player and starter Pokemon, catched Pokemon, and battled other online players)

Any help would be appreciated

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    OK, your screwed. LOL! Do you know any code? like HTML, C++? GAMEMAKER? GML?

Cause otherwise you have no hope, sorry. At the moment I am making one, its online, got character select, stats, accounts, multiple accounts on only one - INGENIUS INVENTION! (If I do say so myself)

Umm, you better stick yourself with someone man, otherwise you dont have a hope, sorry.

RomsMaster

N00B Master (and what)
    Years
    I know HTML formatting, I was just wondering if there was an easier way cause HTML formatting will be kind of hard to do with a Pokemon game.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    HTML is a start. Start learning how to make a map view within a HTML document. Think images and CSS. Download the WAMP stack and learn PHP. There are tutorials all over the web for it.

PHP lets you change the HTML that is loaded so you can imagine how you would make movement or walking about. Take a look at games like the Kingdom of Loathing, you could do something like that without too much game specific knowledge.

(see the advisory pieces in my signature for generic advice)

Jonsploder, do you have anything to contribute to this topic?

Your not rude. For your matter of fact the topic creator PM'd ME not YOU for help. Actually I probably know tonnes more than you do involving a MMORPG of the scale that he's talking about - I am even making on RIGHT NOW, and YOU gotta learn to get of my back one day or one time it might bite back.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    Well friend, you can't do this only using HTML, and to think that it will be so easy is just stupid. First of all when you start making the game, you think about registering people, and then you think, how the hell can I handle form data, and be able to save it some where and be able to access it later. You look around the net to get to know how to handle form data in HTML, and obviously you find nothing because you can't.

So then my friend, I'll explain how you do that, you would know that all the websites are on a server, and when you type the name of the website, you are actually referring to a computer or network on the internet. Don't forget that the network of networks is internet. Now you know that you tell that computer to give you a specific web page on the website and it does, but the software that accepts your request and gives you the web page is called a web server.
    When you give it some form data, it gets it, but unless it knows what to do with it, it discards it. Now here is where you can accept the form data, and not only that but create a game such as Poke Crater, because all the intelligence of the computer can be applied here.

You don't need to understand everything I just said, but you should know that the thing I was referring to needs some specific software. Your best option would be to go for PHP, but you could choose ASP, JSP, CGI (Perl) etc.
    And another thing if yo get serious about it, don't try to set up a webserver at home, use some online host to do it.

So my suggestion was to learn PHP, it is very easy, and I learned it on my own from a book.
    PHP: https://www.php.net
    Just in case you want to install PHP at home go to https://www.ricocheting.com/server/

Not to be rude or anything jonsploder, you are seriously not helping much, because if you say:
    OK, your screwed. LOL! Do you know any code? like HTML, C++? GAMEMAKER? GML?

Cause otherwise you have no hope, sorry. At the moment I am making one, its online, got character select, stats, accounts, multiple accounts on only one - INGENIUS INVENTION! (If I do say so myself)

Umm, you better stick yourself with someone man, otherwise you dont have a hope, sorry.
    then you are just discouraging a person. If he can learn some coding like PHP, like I did at the age of 11, it won't take him time to be able to make one. PHP didn't take me a long time anyway. I have attempted to create a game that he describes, and I had most of my work done in a week, i had to stop because I started to prefer making an MMORPG in C++. HTML doesn't matter much, though it will be important in the game, but he doesn't need to know all of it, and he does say he knows it. C++ is used in rare CGI program these days, I won't like that. And GameMaker and GML for website MMORPG proves that you know far less than improfane.
    And your ways of not being rude seem more arrogent to me. For what you say makes me feel that you are just trying to prove what he said about you not helping much false, which is false. Saying that it is ingenious to make a game that you describe is totally false, at least if it is a web based game like he wants it. You, i suppose are making PT, atleast it says that in your sig, which is not a web based game but a GM game. Web based games are way simpler, it is only the movement part and the battle part which should take that much time, and even that is not too much. And in one post by improfane, I can say that he knows PHP and I suppose he will know a tonne more than you.

Last edited:

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    I am moar confused now than when i was at the beggining!

Lol, I don't work for PHP, but you need to learn PHP, ASP, JSP or Perl, and get a host like byethost (for PHP and maybe Perl), and start making as you learn. If you ask me go for PHP or Perl. You can find some really good resources and tutorials on the net.

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
    GUYS.

I am probably discouraging him yes, but (no effense) I doubt that he will want to make something like that by himself from scratch.

I am logical. I have done this before.

Team yourself up with someone - he already has, this is for further reference for other people - learn of them and how they do it, then try and copy their style for yourself.

Its how I learnt - the hard way, but sensible one.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    Actually I probably know tonnes more than you do involving a MMORPG of the scale that he's talking about - I am even making on RIGHT NOW

Dude, don't be so arrogant. While I agree that he really needs to learn HTML + PHP, there's no need to go around believing your some kind of god on the subject.

Years
    the topic creator PM'd ME not YOU for help.
    Wow, he actually PMed you and not someone else who posted in this thread a few hours after you got the PM? Big deal.

Actually I probably know tonnes more than you do involving a MMORPG of the scale that he's talking about
    I am curious, an MMORPG of what scale exactly? Because I haven't seen any impressive MMORPG made by you. (And, no, this does not include the MMORPG projects you've posted here, because you didn't do any coding for these.)

I am even making on RIGHT NOW
    Who cares? You haven't shown anything of this so called MMORPG nor have you given us a reason to believe you actually know what you are talking about.

and YOU gotta learn to get of my back one day or one time it might bite back.
    Drop the arrogance, it won't get you anywhere.

Aden

Lucario's best buddy
    Years
    This seems impossible in my eyes, unless you've actaully created a sucessfull MMORPG before, I can't see any glimpse of hope for you at all.

Maybe you could email the creater of Pokemon Crator for help?
    But thats about all you could do to make it Sucessfull

Tentacruel13

PM me f you want to contact me
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Hey JonSploder everyone can do everything if they put their all into it, so stop discouraging people. So RomsMaster good luck with this and you should try to learn Game Maker Language, Flash, or some other coding program.

Back