• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon's Direction

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2012
    Okay, personally I think the pokemon series is getting repetitive. I loved all the pokemon series up until B&W and after. I think pokemon should go in a new direction where its more like a mmorpg. They've been making pokemon games since 1996. It's been 16 years of the same game, not that I haven't enjoyed mostly all of them, it's just I think it should be changed a bit. Here's my idea, there should be an online world of pokemon. Where you can toggle on and offline. There would be like a multiplayer battle place, and a shop or mall. At the beginning of the game you get to choose how your character looks. With the old design alternating between all the available character items and more in the shop along with haircuts. Instead of releasing a whole new game they could update it every month, new clothes, haircuts, and places. Then you get to choose your first pokemon (any of the starters from any generation) and buy new ones, with money you earn from battles with others, mini-games you play with your pokemon, and from buying gift-cards from stores. I posted this to see how everyone would respond to my idea whether they like my idea and things that would make my idea even better. Also, the platform would be PC, Mac, and DS. I really want to see how people respond to this so please leave a response, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    No. I'm completely against this idea. Here's why:
    1) I hate MMORPGs (This reason is personal, though);
    2) It would completely take the fun out of the features that we're used to in Pokemon games. How would you build gyms in such a game? With realistic lines, maybe? And what about legendaries? Will there be only one of each of them, making it unfair to all the players, or one for every player, making them... much less legendary (It could also be used for cheating and getting more of the same legendary), or will there be no legendaries at all, making it impossible to complete the Pokedex?
    3) I really wouldn't want to play in a Pokemon world where 12-year old kids make stupid comments about my mom.

SneakerTheOtter

Otter Power!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 21, 2015
    This isn't a great idea for a game in it's own right. However if they added a place in a future normal game that you could go online and visit to battle, trade, etc. that would be quite nice. But making the entire game just an online feature would take away most of the things that makes it a good Pokemon game. Also, the ability to design your own character would take way too much time for the developers - every combination of hair, clothes, etc. would need it's own set of sprites for walking, running, cycling, fishing, sending out a Pokemon (HM moves), sending out a Pokemon (in-battle)...

It's not something I see happening. In my opinion, that's probably a good thing.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    I also hate MMORPGs just cause I just think there annoying and for me game time is alone time and i personally enjoy the standard Pokemon formula, but In saying that i am a creature of habit i like what i like and I am not a fan of change. I do however think that the standard game formula can do with a few upgrades.
    I believe personalized eggs, would be a good addition to the games.
    Personalized characters would be a good touch, but I doubt it will ever happen like the above poster it would waste to much time and memory on the system to ever happen.
    I also think the addition of a easy and hard difficulty level would be great. (Black 2 and White 2 have already addressed this problem.)
    But yeah basically in my opinion a pokemon MMORPG would be awful its one of those ideas that sound good until you actually start to think about it. In the end there would be way to many people called things like Noob crusher, The destoryer ect insulting you or your mum, acting like there awesome and wasting your time.

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
    Years
    One of the things I like the most about Pokemon is its setting that always wounds up praising the protagonist--maybe this is just me being an attention seeker, but I don't want to part with that sense of importance while I'm playing the game. Obviously this is more or less impossible with a multiplayer setting, which is the main reason as to why I would disapprove if the Pokemon games took a turn in this direction.

If it's released as a spin-off as some sort and leave the main games series alone, though, then there's no problem as far as I'm concerned.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    Yeah a spinoff would be nice.

But tbh I love hating on the new gen of Pokés and then loving them, and then playing a new Pokémon game, no matter how similar, gives me the best feeling nothing else (in this world) can compare to.

Subtle Blue

Professional Lurker
    Years
    I'd enjoy it, but I don't know if it's a smart move for Nintendo. Pokemon's demographic probably (correct me if I'm wrong) consists mostly of kids and old hats who like it just the way it is, and in order to compete in other game genres they'd have to change not only the basic gameplay but the entire atmosphere of a Pokemon game. Pokemon turned, say, MMO, would struggle to compete with such MMOs as League of Legends, Starcraft, Smite, World of Warcraft, Maplestory or whatever's cute right now, etc. There's no reason to invest in something new when they'd have to do so much to stand out and draw in fresh players, possibly missing out on the old in the process, and when fans will pay for the same thing in better packaging with some new features once in awhile, anyway.

I'm not really a businesswoman, though...

Part of the problem, maybe, is that people are used to collecting Pokemon, but it would be a good deal of work to make all the Pokemon collectible and playable in something like a brawler, an RTS, a platformer, etc.

So, laziness and habit.

Years
    I think they should make a pokemon Red, Emerald, Sapphire and all those, only available to GB/GBA, and make it playable on the DS. I dont want them to change ANYTHING!!! Except to add like the Poketech and whatever touch screen things. I mean, just update the games without making changes to the game.
    Am i making sense? :P
    Anywho, i agree with the multiplayer, i wouldnt like "trolls" or whatever ruining pokemon.

droomph

weeb
    Years
    I think they should make a pokemon Red, Emerald, Sapphire and all those, only available to GB/GBA, and make it playable on the DS. I dont want them to change ANYTHING!!! Except to add like the Poketech and whatever touch screen things. I mean, just update the games without making changes to the game.
    Am i making sense? :P
    Anywho, i agree with the multiplayer, i wouldnt like "trolls" or whatever ruining pokemon.

Yes, a remake sounds good. There is one being speculated rn but that seems unlikely :c though it would be a great business plan to release an RSE remake!

Back