• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen pokemons worth catching in leaf green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I just started playing leaf green and I would like to know which pokemons should I catch and level up to easily beat gym leaders and e4. I started with charmander. And also I just started playing (havent even beaten brock yet :D).

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2014
    Well, to beat Brock easily with a Charmander team you can either level Charmander up to level 13 (?) and get Metal Claw which is super effective to Rock types or you can go back to Viridian and go west to the Pokemon League and in the grass near the entrance you can get a Mankey which is Fighting type so it can beat Rock (later in game I would suggest replacing for a Machamp). Those are good for the start of the game (Brock) but once you get to Misty then you get more choices.

Don't even bother trying to use Charmander. Get a Bellsprout which will easily sweep Water types if you level it up (Personally I think that Bellsprout's evo line is good so this is a good Grass type to have) or you could just get a Pikachu, always a good one but I prefer Jolteon which you get later in the game :).

Obviously for Lt. Surge catch a Diglett from Diglett's cave and you'll have no problem (I wouldn't keep Dugtrio but if you want a Ground type always a good stand by).

In Lavender town I suggest getting a Ghastly but I'm not sure if you can catch them yet :/ they can be quite useful later on.

Next is Erika which you can easily take the entire gym with your Charmeleon or Charizard.

Now Saffron City, for the Fighting Dojo you can use pretty much anything but Normal types it's not that hard. Now the real gym - If you didn't catch a Gastly in Lavender town I suggest you go back and get one. They are super effective to Psychic types and Gengar (Ghastly's final evolution) is beast.

For the next gym I suggest you go and get an Abra (near Cerulean) and evolve it. Kadabra and Alakazam are great Pokemon and will sweep this gym.

The next gym (Cinnabar) is fire so Lapras, Gyrados, Starmie are all good choices I would say Starmie or Lapras because Gyrados's stats are Attack heavy and it has a special movepool. Starmie has Psychic as well but Lapras is better over all but not for this gym.

The next is Giovanni he likes Ground types so Lapras is VERY good here - just with Ice Beam and Surf it could destroy this gym.

So for Gym's

Brock - Leveled up Charmander with Metal Claw/Mankey (Pokemon League entrance)
    Misty - Pikachu (Viridian Forest)/Bellsprout (Route 24)
    Lt. Surge - Diglett (Diglett's cave)
    Erika - Charmeleon (leved up Charmander)
    Sabrina - Gastly/Haunter (Pokemon Tower - Lavender Town)
    Koga - Kadabra/Alakazam (Evole Abra from Route 24)
    Blaine - Lapras/Starmie Probably Lapras (given to you in Silph Co)
    Giovanni - Same as above ^

I hope this is enough to get you started I will do an Elite 4 version next.

Elite 4 time

The First is Ice and Water heavy so having a Charizard is a kinda bad thing to have because Surf or Ice Beam can know one out. Grass Types can take the water or Electric, I would suggest Electric because it isn't weak to Ice or Water but can take out both reasonably well.

Next is Rock/Fighting. Flying types can take down the Fighting and Water can take down the Rock. Also Psychic is good.

Now it's Ghosts. A Gengar might be able to do this with good speed and attack because Ghost is super effective against Ghost. If Gengar dies Charizard might be the one to do the job with good offence :)

Now is Lance he likes Dragon types. Ice can finish all of these of. So a Lapras with Ice Beam should do it.

Now for Blue he has different types so he is stronger than the rest. So I can't say a specific type for him though a really high level Lapras could take it no problem.

Here's a team I would suggest for just doing it, no favoritism.

- Charizard (because that's you're starter and can be useful to just attack or stand by to sack (let it be attacked so you can revive/heal a better Pokemon))

- Lapras (Lapras is amazing against Blue super effective to 4 of his 6 Pokemon and is good against the Elite 4 especially Lance and Bruno)

- Gengar (Strong against Agatha will do ok with the other E4)

- Scyther (IMO, an underated Pokemon. Set up a few swords dances and get it Aerial Ace and it can do loads of Damage and when you have the National Dex EVOLVE IT TO SCIZOR , will do well against Fighting types and A few other Pokemon)

- Jolteon/Raichu (pretty average, will do well against anything that it's not weak to, good for Lorelei)

and the final Pokemon Pokemon might be either of these two.

- Victreebell (Mixed attacker, use to put Pokemon to sleep and others finish them off or as a grass type)

- Alakazam (Great Special attack use on anything but Ghosts)

I would say Alakazam.

:) have fun.

Remember don't just do what I say take other peoples opinions into account and which ever Pokemon YOU LIKE, YOU USE as long as they aren't things like Caturpie or Magikarp..

Last edited:

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    If you started which Charmander, I would say restart and get a Bulbasaur. He is a beast, and is good against the first two gyms. But a team to go with Charmander, I would say:

Charizard
    Vaporeon
    Raichu
    Victreebel
    Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Primeape, whichever you prefer
    Snorlax.
    That team can pretty much own the Elite 4 and Gary.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    If you want to beat the game with little difficulty the best way to do it is to only use a few pokemon- with Charmander I'd solo with it for a while, maybe pick up a Bellsprout to deal with Misty and the other Waters and Grasses that give Charmeleon trouble. Pick up an Eevee at Celadon and evolve it to Vaporeon- with potion support it can tear down everything except Grass and Electric mons. You have Charizard to deal with Grasses, and you can easily get a Graveler to deal with Electrics- you don't really need to train it too much as Electric attacks are almost exclusively used by Electric mons that can't touch Graveler. Lastly head for the Power Plant and catch Zapdos once you get Surf- even if you don't give it any levels it comes at 50 and is a very good crutch for much of the game.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
    Years
  • Don't even bother trying to use Charmander. Get a Bellsprout which will easily sweep Water types if you level it up (Personally I think that Bellsprout's evo line is good so this is a good Grass type to have) or you could just get a Pikachu, always a good one but I prefer Jolteon which you get later in the game :)

a well train charmelon can sweep misty team i use charizard hitmonchan nidoqueen areodactly snorlax raichu/jolteon so this is what i did
    Brock - Charmander
    Misty - Charmelon/Nidorina
    Lt. Surge - 1/2 charmelon 1/2 Nidorina
    Erika - Charizard (bye know you should have jolteon and hitmonchan)
    Koga - Nidoqueen
    Sabrina - Snorlax the tank
    Blaine - Nidoqueen/Aerodactly
    Giovanni - hitmonchan
    this is assuming you are training them

use HM slaves i taught my nidoqueen surf and aerodactly fly tho

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • The best water pokemon that's easy to get is Vaporeon and it learns ice moves as well with level up so very effective against Lances Dragonites. Victrebell is good as well and so is Raichu, I would also get a fighting Pokemon or Nidoking and teach it Brick Break.

My team last time I played was, it was Fire Red so the Pokemon would be a little different

Charizard
    Vileplume
    Raichu
    Vaporeon
    Primeape
    Nidoking

I owned the Elite Four

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2014
    a well train charmelon can sweep misty team i use charizard hitmonchan nidoqueen areodactly snorlax raichu/jolteon so this is what i did

Misty - Charmelon/Nidorina

I said Charmander, not Charmeleon. If you have a lvl (idk) 30 Charmeleon then obviously you can beat a lvl 21 Starmie, a Charmander's stats are quite lower than a Charmeleon's.

Also, he said what's good to use against them didn't he? Hmm.. What's better against Water types? Fire or Grass and Electric? Obviously it's gonna be easier with a Weepinbell or Pikachu rather than a Fire type :/ just saying.

Years
  • thanks for your help guys now I have basic idea of what pokemons to get
    I was thinking about something like this for gyms:
    -already beaten brock
    -misty (pikachu)
    -lt surge (nidoking maybe)
    -erika (charmeleon)
    -sabrina (gonna try to get ghastly and haunter but I can't evolve haunter to gengar since I'm playing on emulator)
    -koga (kadabra or maybe nidoking could work?)
    -Blain (definetly gonna get lapras unless someone suggests better water pokemon)
    -Giovanni (lapras too I guess?)

For elite 4 team I was thinking like:
    -Raychu
    -Charizard
    -Nidoking
    -Lapras (maybe even polywrath since his fighting abilities could be useful)
    -victreebel
    -and for last kadabra maybe? or haunter
    this is pretty much it
    I think this should work if not tell me :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2014
    ^ as long as they're decent levels and not EV trained wrongly you should be fine. (Eg. Don't train Kadabra in physical attacks, special attack for Kadabra)

motb777

Spriter
    Years
  • Look, I always catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest (Takes some time but it worths).
    Also I'd recommend you caught a mankey and a pidgey.
    Later in the game, in fuchsia city go to the safari zone and get a dratini. Then It's the best non-legendary pokemon in 1st Gen in my opinion.

Oh, and try catching a nidoran (female) because nidoqueen learns horn drill (1-HIT KO)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Get a Farfetch'd. *****es love Farfetch'd

Hell yeah. Anyway! This thread has gotten plenty of replies, so I think your answer is good enough that I can close this. Next time, please use the Q&A thread.

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back