• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokerus Messed Me Up

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Small annoyance but wanted to share, I was EV training my Dragon Dance bred Larvitar with a Macho Brace.. but somehow during the training it obtained the PokeRus Virus without my knowledge. So it was gaining x4 Effort Value points while I was assuming I was only getting the x2 bonus from the Brace. :\

Not only did this lead me to not getting the proper EVs, but I also wasted a bunch of time killing Goldeens (ATK EVs), and Poliwags (Speed EVs) when it was already maxed. I guess it wasn't too big a deal this time since the EV spread I was going for was 252 Atk/252 Speed/ and 4 HP... and I ended up with 255 Atk/255 Speed .... So I missed out on the small bit of Health but none the less it was an annoyance.

Anyone else had something like this happen to them? I figured I wouldn't reset since I already spent like 2 hours maxing the EVs and didn't want to go through that again for 4 HP EVs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah I just don't understand why they won't display a Pokemon's Effort Values in one of the Stat screens? I mean come on that is one of the most important aspects of a Pokemon's final stat outcome why hide it from trainers? If you're going to put it in the game, don't hide it from people.

Or atleast make some kind of in-game NPC you can go to once you max a Pokemon's EV values... that can let you adjust the allocation of the values, for a fee even.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Because EVs are something added for the older competitive players, essentially, wheras EVs would likely go over a younger player's head (and that's the target audience already). They hide it so it doesn't overcomplicate things for them (and considering the number of times I have seen people ask how EVs work even after reading a guide...) If I were you I'd look at the brighter picture - you got Pokerus, something that is nearly three times as rare to get as a shiny Pokemon! If it spread to other Pokemon, even better!

Also - you can adjust EVs...via berries - specific berries will reduce the EVs in a specific stat, so you can redo EV training as long as the Pokemon isn't at level 100.

Anyways going to move to Pokemon general gaming as this is not HGSS specific (pokerus has been in GSC and ever since after all =p).

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Also - you can adjust EVs...via berries - specific berries will reduce the EVs in a specific stat, so you can redo EV training as long as the Pokemon isn't at level 100.

This would do. EV-Reducing berries such as Kelpsy would help you solve your problems.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Bob, totally agree with you there, it's like when my friends are like 'HA MY LEVEL 80 CHARIZARD WILL OWN ALL UR POKEMON' and i'm sitting here with lvl 100 Ev'd and Iv'd pokemon.. if they displayed such things then i wouldn't feel so awesome.

If I were you I'd look at the brighter picture - you got Pokerus, something that is nearly three times as rare to get as a shiny Pokemon! If it spread to other Pokemon, even better!

Really? That's amazing. Recently i made myself a program to play pokemon SS for me (on an emulator, using my sav file from my homebrew cart). It's fought through over 11k Magikarp and Polywag, yet, not one shiny. But i got the Pokerus.

A final question, to the OP. Why are you training your pokemon like this? Do you plan to try and go competetive?

See, this is what i hate, it's been a long time for me, training many many pokemon to level 100, EVing and Breeding sick IV's and natures... all in hope to do some competetive battles.. but it's muchly depressing that you can't really compete unless you PokeSav. :(

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • My brother encountered his very first Ratatat (and caught it for some unknown reason) in SS and it had Pokerus, which he spread to his Shiny Chikorita and team.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • See, this is what i hate, it's been a long time for me, training many many pokemon to level 100, EVing and Breeding sick IV's and natures... all in hope to do some competetive battles.. but it's muchly depressing that you can't really compete unless you PokeSav. :(

Not really. I mean, personally, I Sav stuff because I'm a lazy bugger who doesn't have the time to work on it, but people who don't Sav... I respect those people. Those guys that have the time and botherance to legitimately train their Pokemon, rather than create them using a program. Anyway, if you do it well, the only difference is a few IVs, which honestly won't affect your stats that much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Not really. I mean, personally, I Sav stuff because I'm a lazy bugger who doesn't have the time to work on it, but people who don't Sav... I respect those people. Those guys that have the time and botherance to legitimately train their Pokemon, rather than create them using a program. Anyway, if you do it well, the only difference is a few IVs, which honestly won't affect your stats that much.

This kind of inspires me a little :P

*Turns on DS*

Time to sort out these 82 Chanseys >.<

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Really? That's amazing. Recently i made myself a program to play pokemon SS for me (on an emulator, using my sav file from my homebrew cart). It's fought through over 11k Magikarp and Polywag, yet, not one shiny. But i got the Pokerus.
    Yep, it's roughly a 1 in 21,000 chance off the top of my head, as opposed to the shiny chance which is 1 in 8192. I'm the opposite though - I've found... 7 shiny Pokemon just from random encounter, but never Pokerus from a wild Pokemon (or if I have, I never realised it - e.g. caught a pokemon with it that got sent to the box and never used).

Of course I just traded Pokerus to myself, so problem solved in that regard I guess. =p

I suppose another tale that I know some people have had of getting really lucky but having that lucky thing screw up is, say, seeing a shiny Pokemon in Emerald's Battle frontier facility (I believe Pokemon you could loan had a chance to be shiny...) or seeing one in the beginning part of the game, when you don't have any Pokeballs. I mean, dang - they see a shiny and they can't have it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Because EVs are something added for the older competitive players, essentially, wheras EVs would likely go over a younger player's head (and that's the target audience already). They hide it so it doesn't overcomplicate things for them (and considering the number of times I have seen people ask how EVs work even after reading a guide...) If I were you I'd look at the brighter picture - you got Pokerus, something that is nearly three times as rare to get as a shiny Pokemon! If it spread to other Pokemon, even better!

Also - you can adjust EVs...via berries - specific berries will reduce the EVs in a specific stat, so you can redo EV training as long as the Pokemon isn't at level 100.

Anyways going to move to Pokemon general gaming as this is not HGSS specific (pokerus has been in GSC and ever since after all =p).

I figured the reason they left it out of plain view was because of fear of complicating the game for younger players. I still wouldn't quite believe that as a valid excuse from Gamefreak, I mean the competitive battling scene is now a huge part of Pokemon.. almost every player I know knows in some way about how Effort values effect a Pokemon's final stats. I still believe Gamefreak could have found an easier way for us to view our Pokemons EVs... as of right now the only way to legitly keep track is the tedious way of recording it yourself.

On the other hand had they found a way to somehow keep them not hidden from the player maybe it would lead towards younger players being able to understand how Effort Values work easier, and we'd have more competitive battlers.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For some reason I've caught Pokerus more often than I've caught shiny Pokemon :O In Platinum I caught the Pokerus while still playing through the game, somewhere on that snowy route (216 or 217) so it was before I would have even considered EV training. Therefore I knew I had it before starting training and spread it to my Pokemon to be EV trained. But if that situation happened to me, I'd just use the EV reducing berries and just continue.

I suppose another tale that I know some people have had of getting really lucky but having that lucky thing screw up is, say, seeing a shiny Pokemon in Emerald's Battle frontier facility (I believe Pokemon you could loan had a chance to be shiny...) or seeing one in the beginning part of the game, when you don't have any Pokeballs. I mean, dang - they see a shiny and they can't have it.
    You mean like that shiny Seviper I saw someone use in Platinum's Battle Arcade? Yeah, I was mad too.

But then I caught a shiny Meowth in Soul Silver and that made up for it :P

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Because EVs are something added for the older competitive players, essentially, wheras EVs would likely go over a younger player's head (and that's the target audience already). They hide it so it doesn't overcomplicate things for them (and considering the number of times I have seen people ask how EVs work even after reading a guide...) If I were you I'd look at the brighter picture - you got Pokerus, something that is nearly three times as rare to get as a shiny Pokemon! If it spread to other Pokemon, even better!

Actually you can still EV train at Lvl 100. Its called the Box or Pc glitch just EV train the pokemon, stick it into whatever box you want and it automatically raises your stats according to how many EV points you put in that stat.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016

The lazy mans way. Story of half the pokemon players lives. >.<

Back