• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeworld (MMOG) Needs Help.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    I still don't quite see the problem. Collision is in no way attached to an object, its a property of a square. The problem you are specifying, does not exist in the system. You CAN make the pattern

OOOO
    XXXX
    XXXX

See heres a screenshot from the editor, the editor puts highlights on the squares you have marked, the water is highlighted blue, because it's marked as surfable!

See how any tile can be marked as collision? Its not a property of an object. You could have a building you could walk through if you wanted.

I need icons for the following tools

Tile Paint Brush
    Tile Flood Fill
    Object Tool
    Tile Type Tool
    Auto Tile
    Tile Effector Tool

Tile Type Icons

Walkable
    Collision
    Surfable
    Jumpable to the Left
    Jumpable to the Right
    Jumpable Down

And 16x16 tile effector icons
    PokeSquare
    TeleTile

Last edited:

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    That was actually the other option I mentioned, having 'can't walk through' tiles. But in the long run, linking it to the object instead of the tile the object is placed on would make map making a lot quicker. (And more foolproof, considering you can't ever end up with buildings you can walk through.)

But I'll see what I can do about the icons.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    The collision has to be linked to the tiles, however it would be possible to define the collision for an object and when you put down an object it would set the tiles under it to the collision you would define in the object editor. This would keep the system intact and speed up map making.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The collision has to be linked to the tiles, however it would be possible to define the collision for an object and when you put down an object it would set the tiles under it to the collision you would define in the object editor. This would keep the system intact and speed up map making.
    That certainly seems the best way to manage things. Linking passibility to the tiles/objects themselves (or more accurately, the 32x32 squares) does away with the need for a separate function to dictate passibility altogether (unless you want to randomly allow phasing trees or put in invisible walls - both are poor ideas, and even so, non-blocking versions of said tiles/objects can be made). It's the way RPG Maker does it, and probably several other such programs too.

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Ok... i have some icons :D

i got some icons for your interface (they're all 25x25 k?)
    -Walkable
    -Collision
    -Surfable
    -Jump left
    -Jump right
    -Jump down

By the way, do you still need poke selection and battle scene sprites or not?

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Oo, now I have to pick between Theiks and DarkRaza's icons...

Well I installed vista today, yey.

Unfortunately, not due to Vista being Vista. The new NVidia drivers don't like my HDTV being a monitor and won't give me the native res!

So, after a couple hours of time on the line with tech support, learning they can't do anything.

I started to write my own driver for a monitor which still doesnt work...

Regardless I haven't done much on the editor.

I may have to live without my TV's Native Res for a while. I've got one final hope... Riva Tuner better do the trick.

More on topic, I'll leave you of a pick with Theik's icons!

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    oh... no problem,
    oh and theik, it seems as you send some work, have you been sendig it by PM? because i never see it...
    anyways, i suppose i can do some more...

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hey guys been a while, I finally restored my system to a fully operational Tocs Data Center aka my PC.

I wrote most of the Auto-Updater for the game check out the pic.

Notice the Vista?

Obviously those Change Notes are total BS and just a test. But it downloads a zip file containing the changes to the game files and applys them appropriately. Or thats the goal anywho. Needs just a couple more touch ups.

The editor is chugging along, You can now assign collision to objects so it gets automatically assigned when you place the object. The tile editor has been started, not working completely, this basically just creates animation sequences and assigns auto-tiles. Which are next on the list. Boy the editor sure is alot of work.

Sorry I havent been lurking the IRC channel lately. I've had one crap thing to do after another. I should be on more frequently now.

So lets take a step back and look at the project and what needs to be completed in order for open beta. And what I need help on.

1) Tileset - This is quite important I want a custom one thats new and refreshing to look at. Levelizer has agreed to help with this, but I havent made much contact with him. Hopefully the IRC channel lurking will remedy this.

2) NPCS - Ok this is big. NPCs basically involve several things. Pathing, as in where they bumble about, I imagine this will be much like an RTS from the editor standpoint. You could create a Wander Zone where they wander aimlessly. Or Patrol Points with both Loop and Bounce Back path styles. Or just standing still and looking like an idiot(Rotating and Non Rotating). NPCS also involve converstion trees. Which are a branch of conversational elements, basically Text to read, and Menu choices for answering a question. As well as custom ones such as Heal Pokemon, Open Box, and such. (Computers would activate a TalkTree to select open box and such)

3)Boxes - You gotta have a place to shove those usless pokemon you get! Boxes require the next thing

4) The database all data is "saved" to the database so the next time you log in your not back at square one with just a starter and a handfull of pokeballs. This also allows accounts and various other things. Theik has said he will help with this.

5)Scripted Attacks - I implamented scripted items, I need to do the same for attacks, so the code for them can be extracted and wrote seperatly through the editor.

6)Sound - I was told about .it files by... Wauby was it? Anywho I'm using those for music, I found a library to power the sound of the game called IrrKlang which used to be opensource >.> now has some sort of license if your commercial, which I don't really care about anyway... The editor also needs a loop editor which will define the looping points in a song so the song will start with an intro and then loop.

7) Battle transitions- You know when the screen flashes and it does some sort of cheesy cartoon whipe of the screen kinda like powerpoint? Yah I need those because right now its pretty darn boring....

8) The PaperDoll System - This avatar system thought up by Theik will allow you to pick your hair style, skin color, and clothing all seperately. To further customize your character. Not only does this involve me writing this. We need lots of clothing options. I want At least 10 different hair styles (Not counting color changes) Including a Fro, and a Top Hat... (Hats count as hair styles, so shush) Any Hair folical color should be a perfect gray meaning its RGB code has like <15,15,15> I will write a shader to change the hair color with software. So you can pick a hair color for any hair cut. If you want to make hair styles just make any pixel thats acutally hair a perfect gray and anything thats not (Such as a Hat, or a Bow) not a perfect gray, if you need a gray color use like <128,127,128> only the computer will know the difference... Theres 16776960 other colors to choose from so get over it. I plan to eventually open this up to the public allowing people to create their own and submit them. This will include allowing the name of whoever made it to keep their name embedded with the file. It will show up in character selection. (Big Plans here)

9) The website, I'm like on my third template now and they all look like crap so if you know some webdesign that would like super super.

Regardless thats what were shooting for by the end of May, looks like I better get crackin!

Edit: My pictures have stopped showing up... Stupid host, hold while I fix

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    8) The PaperDoll System - This avatar system thought up by Theik will allow you to pick your hair style, skin color, and clothing all seperately. To further customize your character. Not only does this involve me writing this. We need lots of clothing options. I want At least 10 different hair styles (Not counting color changes) Including a Fro, and a Top Hat... (Hats count as hair styles, so shush)
    I say, top hats? Please also include a monacle, suit and cane, and let the character say "crumpets!" every other line.

No, I got your drift. Sounds good to me. Keep at it!

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    I say, top hats? Please also include a monacle, suit and cane, and let the character say "crumpets!" every other line.

No, I got your drift. Sounds good to me. Keep at it!

lol, it would be nice to be able to choose a catch word that at the end of every thing your character says he will say, and then you would have a list to choose from, but that's something that is too complicated to do, and too dumb to use...

Oh, and tocs, great going with the editor, i'm sorry, but really i cannot do much to help you... except making sprites, which have now been all changed t be grey... so really what i did is kinda not useful... ill suport your game all the way, but i won't help much...

By the way: What about the storiline? where does the game takes place on? If you need any help with that, that i can do!

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    The reason its gray, is so that the game can shade it any color. The game will pick out the gray hair pixels and shade them a specified color preserving the brightness of the gray, effectively making any color of hair.

Not totally useless, it was all concept work anyway. The gray system will take some time to implament, I'm not good with shaders, nor have I used them in SlimDX. So your peices will serve just fine for the first version of Paper-Doll characters.

We also need base skins for other skin colors and a female one since we only have male. So if someone wanted to do that. That would be good.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    It all looks AMAZING.
    Good luck with this, and I wish I could help but unfortunately I can't do any of the things listed.
    Unless the map creator just needs to meet certain requirements and peice together the maps with the editor?

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Thanks Jayzah, I'll let you know if theres something you can do.

Boy, this week was busy. They moved Pit Orchestra rehersal to 6:30 - 9:30 which basically consumed my evenings. It will be back to right after school next week. I managed to get more on the editor done. Mainly PokeSquares which are tiles that can trigger wild battles. They have a list of possible pokemon an encounter rate out of 1000 and a min / max level for the pokemon to be generated in. The interface is nice. Currently you can't actually place them, I hope to get that done tonight post pics later.

Tocs

Mr_Dark

Poke Dev.
    Years
  • 8) The PaperDoll System - This avatar system thought up by Theik will allow you to pick your hair style, skin color, and clothing all seperately. To further customize your character. Not only does this involve me writing this. We need lots of clothing options. I want At least 10 different hair styles (Not counting color changes) ........

Wrong!, the PaperDoll system (aka Character Customization) was our (Pokemon Universe) idea. Theik has ripped this from us (he's also a member at our website). Please change this.

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    Wrong!, the PaperDoll system (aka Character Customization) was our (Pokemon Universe) idea. Theik has ripped this from us (he's also a member at our website). Please change this.

Alright, you my man are full of brown substance with a bad odour. I'm not a member at your website, I tried to log in with my usual login details and no dice so I'm not a member at your site (and in fact, I had never seen the site before in my life), and you didn't come up with the paper doll system either. It's been around since the dawn of video games, using layers to form a new sprite isn't a revolutionary concept, and claiming the Pokémon Universe came up with it is like me claiming I invented dinosaurs and used them as currency back when you were all primordeal goo.

What you just did is a rather blatant attempt at derailing the topic and sneaking in an advertisement for your own MMO. Bad unknown, bad. Go sit in a corner and wear the hat of shame.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2012
    Alright, you my man are full of brown substance with a bad odour. I'm not a member at your website, I tried to log in with my usual login details and no dice so I'm not a member at your site (and in fact, I had never seen the site before in my life), and you didn't come up with the paper doll system either. It's been around since the dawn of video games, using layers to form a new sprite isn't a revolutionary concept, and claiming the Pokémon Universe came up with it is like me claiming I invented dinosaurs and used them as currency back when you were all primordeal goo.

What you just did is a rather blatant attempt at derailing the topic and sneaking in an advertisement for your own MMO. Bad unknown, bad. Go sit in a corner and wear the hat of shame.
    Listen, it's not the character customization itself that TheUnknown is talking about. It's about using that particular concept in a Pokemon MMO. We just think that proper credit is due, since obviously it has been given wrongly.

Also you don't have to accuse TheUnknown of blatantly advertising. The threads are on the exact same page, how is posting in this thread going to help our game?

Me and TheUnknown take much pride for the innovations we come up with and the game we are developing. Tocs seems like an experienced developer, he should know that something as little as misplaced credit can be quite harsh. For that reason I trust that he will understand TheUnknown's post better than you do.

Now to not completely derail this topic; Tocs, great job so far. Everything looks very promising. I know how screenshots don't really show the amount of work that has been put into it, but as a fellow Pokemon MMO developer I know you have done very well completing the things you have completed thus far!

- Urmel, Pokemon Universe dev.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Woah woah woah woah woah HOLD YOUR DAMN HORSES.

Character customization has been in MMOS since the very first one. Which don't quote me, I think was Ultimate Online. Which was 2D and did have overlapped sprites to create custom characters. The same tactic is employed in 3D as well (Layered Textures), so no one gets credit for this. Not like I would type out someone created such a concept. Its a no brainer. The reason I said that Theik thought it up is because he was first to suggest it in this thread. I mean for god sakes its putting sprites on top of eachother. So lets put it this way, No one's name is going in any sort of credits for overlapping sprites for clothing. Cry me a river if you think otherwise. Not like any other ideas are stolen from somebody, *cough* Pokemon *Cough* Nintendo *cough*.

Second, If your bummed about the Name Paper-Doll I thought that one up, because thats what it feels like. If you really would like me to call it something else I suppose I could call it. CCSVOS (Character Custimization System Via Overlapped Sprites) but I think thats a bit rediculous. (I'm being serious if you really want the 'Paper Doll' name if thats what you thought up, I can go back and change them)

Personally I don't really care if you post about your game in this thread as long as it ties in with this game, which it did. It created a comparison between the two. Which is fine.

I don't like to insult anyone in the same community so lets refrain from calling eachother fancy names for piles of ****. (Pardon my "french"). Everyone here works hard on their own games. Its a community (www.PokeCommunity.com Its in the URL), fighting is pointless. Its not like its a competition between games. If we were actually making money this would be a battle royal going on here. But we both have free games, so I don't want any hissy fit for stolen content. Even though nothing was stolen, we merely shared a common noble idea about character customization. I'm not claiming it, you shouldn't claim it, Theik doesnt get to claim it.

Its like in L4D I pulled that sucker out of the box and upon my first hour or so it came across to me that if I'm on the zombie side of things I should be able to play a common zombie while waiting to respawn, theres plenty of those. The very same argument came up in No Punctuation by Yahtzee and I'm not calling him up complaining. This a bit of a far out example but for ideas that arn't out of the relm of normal. Great minds think alike and often come up with the same thing.

If it was something more original than piling sprites on top of eachother I would totally give you credit. Say for a location based combat system. to add variety to battle. Or special battle dome for tournaments. Or a special item. Character customization, though requireing lots of effort on the developers part, is standard for any commercial online game. It would be rediculous if you logged into WoW and every Nightelf looked exactly the same. Thats just not right. So for standard features (Chat, Character Looks, Friends lists, movement, battles, Clans/Teams/Guilds/Player Groups, etc) Stuff that comes natural to a decent game. I don't care if you are the 3rd coming of Jesus your not getting credit for standard features.

The same hubbub popped up for stolen sprites from Kyledove and Waudby. IMO (In my opinion for the shorthand illiterate) It was a bit outrageous that there was such a fit over content. If someone likes the sprites they should be able to use them. Its not like they are gonna win you a golden globe or a nobel peace prize. However it is nice to have recognition for lots of hard work. Which is why both sides of the argument have faults.

So as a whole we are going to move past this and accept that, yes MMOs have character creation, yes it involves piling sprites on top of eachother, and yes this is a standard feature. If you'd like to argue that its not a standard feature, I'd like to point out that if the MMO doesnt have it, its probably pretty boring to look at. Especially if everyone runs around looking the same all the time.

~Tocs

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2024
    Just to add my little two cents - I'm pretty sorry but even my MMO has the same character customization system, how else would someone do it? It's pretty stupid to want people to give credit to you for something that is a staple part of MMOs.

Back