• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokken Tournament Announced

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I'll begin by breaking people's hearts by pointing out this is arcade only. :V

- 'POKKEN TOURNAMENT'
    - Pokemon fighting game announced, 2015 release
    - Basically that previously rumoured/hinted Pokemon Fighters thing.
    - Producers of Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur involved.
    - Seems it may be arcade only. Probably Japan only as a result! HOWEVER: 'In answering questions, it was implied that there may be non-arcade release later since it is said to come first in arcades' (serebii.net).
    - The live stream announcement via a japanese streaming site showed a clip of Lucario and Machamp fighting.

Video:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    YEAH SUCKERS

Ya'll better step up your Tekken game up cuz I'm planning on wrecking online. Machamp da GOAT (tho they better confirm Hitmonchan too)

Also fighting games typically get an arcade release first, especially Tekken. It's definitelly gonna get a console release.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm not disappointed, I'm excited. Plenty of Japanese fighting games were placed in arcades before getting shipped out to home consoles. So I'm looking forward to a Wii U release.

My biggest concern is if the roster will be nothing but fighting type pokemon or human-like pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I added the trailer that just came out (basically that fighting scene) to the OP. It confirms arcade, and doesn't mention any other forum yet. Still, it being on the english channel...

At the very least though, even if we do get it it'll be a good while.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Looks interesting. Don't many Tekken games appear in arcades and then on home consoles? Plus there's an English trailer.....I wouldn't be too concerned.

I hope Hariyama, Mienshao, Conkeldurr and Hawlucha are playable. Conkeldurr would be so cool with his concrete blocks! I'm kinda concerned Hawlucha might be too short though, are tekken/soul calibur characters usually around the same height?

How many fully evolved bipedal fighting types are there anyway?

I wonder if pokemon like Mewtwo and Lopunny who only become fighting through mega evolution will be eligible....

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I really hoping it gets a console release at some point, but it makes sense that it gets an arcade release first, since that's how most Tekken games are released anyway. I'm just hoping we get this game in the US cause I've been looking forward to the announcement of this for over a year. I'd probably go to whatever arcade has it here just to play it. Hopefully a console version is soon to follow.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Looks interesting. Don't many Tekken games appear in arcades and then on home consoles? Plus there's an English trailer.....I wouldn't be too concerned.

I hope Hariyama, Mienshao, Conkeldurr and Hawlucha are playable. Conkeldurr would be so cool with his concrete blocks! I'm kinda concerned Hawlucha might be too short though, are tekken/soul calibur characters usually around the same height?

How many fully evolved bipedal fighting types are there anyway?

If they only use fully evolved bipedal fighting types I will be so sad.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021

I had a quick look over at bulbapedia. If that happened we'd get a roster of 25:

Machamp
    Primeape
    Poliwrath
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmontop
    Heracross
    Blaziken
    Breloom
    Hariyama
    Medicham
    Infernape
    Lucario
    Toxicroak
    Gallade
    Emboar
    Conkeldurr
    Throh
    Sawk
    Mienshao
    Scrafty
    Meloetta (Fighting forme)
    Chesnaught
    Pangoro
    Hawlucha

I could see it being fighting pokemon + pokemon who look like they'd get involved in street brawling.

They might also add pokemon who look like they could be fighting type (Beartic, Golurk etc) or maybe bipedal pseudo legendaries. (Dragonite, Tyranitar etc)

Having legs/arms will more than likely be a necessity though, sorry Dugtrio.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I had a quick look over at bulbapedia. If that happened we'd get a roster of 25:

Machamp
    Primeape
    Poliwrath
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmontop
    Heracross
    Blaziken
    Breloom
    Hariyama
    Medicham
    Infernape
    Lucario
    Toxicroak
    Gallade
    Emboar
    Conkeldurr
    Throh
    Sawk
    Mienshao
    Scrafty
    Meloetta (Fighting forme)
    Chesnaught
    Pangoro
    Hawlucha

I could see it being fighting pokemon + pokemon who look like they'd get involved in street brawling.

They might also add pokemon who look like they could be fighting type (Beartic, Golurk etc) or maybe bipedal pseudo legendaries. (Dragonite, Tyranitar etc)

Having legs/arms will more than likely be a necessity though, sorry Dugtrio.

Why though? This sounds exciting to me because they can use Pokemon that are more unique and have a unique set of moves different than any other fighting game because their characters don't have to be humanoid. A Muk can melt into the ground and use its flexibility to its advantage, while a Rotom can switch from form to form to try out different styles. Pokemon is in a good position to do something actually unique instead of making Tekken but with different skins.

PS: when you edit it re-notifies the person you're quoting so you just gave me 5 notifications in a row ;(

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Why though? This sounds exciting to me because they can use Pokemon that are more unique and have a unique set of moves different than any other fighting game because their characters don't have to be humanoid. A Muk can melt into the ground and use its flexibility to its advantage, while a Rotom can switch from form to form to try out different styles. Pokemon is in a good position to do something actually unique instead of making Tekken but with different skins.

PS: when you edit it re-notifies the person you're quoting so you just gave me 5 notifications in a row ;(

Well the three pokemon we've seen so far are all bipedal fighting types. Plus I have to wonder if they really will go crazy or if they'll play it safe and focus on badass looking bipedal pokemon. I hope I'm wrong in thinking this....

Also I didn't know that, sorry. :(

blue

gucci
    Years
    Meh. Part of me wanted something slightly more entertaining than this, but that's just me. I pretty much had a strong feeling that this was what they were talking about, casting my mind back to E3 last year and seeing that small snippet of the game was sorta obvious. All in all though it does sound like a cool concept, especially if it is expanded across multiple platforms.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    LET'S GO.

And guys, the possibility of this only being an Arcade game is very very very low. Most fighting game that get an Arcade release, with almost certainty will be ported to a console, in this case - Wii U. If Aquapazza can get a console release, Pokken is getting a console release.

I know this is a collaboration with Tekken, but I haven't seen any sidesteps. So, I'm leaning towards the possibility that this may be a 2D fighter. If that's the case, LUCARIO FOR TOP TIER. DIVE KICKS FOR DAYS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    A lot of fighting games (in Japan) are released in arcades first before they are brought to home consoles. I'm sure this will be a success, and since the trailer was posted to the North American Pokémon YouTube channel, I'm sure there are plans to release it worldwide in some way.

I definitely want Lopunny in this game. Its regular form and Mega, or just its Mega; either would be epic! And (Mega) Kangaskhan, it would kind of be like Roger and Roger Jr.! Pangoro and Beartic remind me of Kuma and Panda, and Tekken even has a playable Raptor, Alex, so even Archeops has a chance in this game! Considering the diverse cast Tekken has, I'd say we can expect some non-Fighting-Types easily.

Also realize that Tekken does have entire characters as alternate costumes sometimes, so we could have a case where Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, and Keldeo are all alternate costumes of each other (just as an example)--they're all one fighter, but more Pokémon for us to choose from!

But besides that, I only have one wish...
    Any Tekken fan knows Eddy Gordo, capoeira master.
    All I ask for is Hitmontop in this game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    Despite not being a fan of the Tekken series, I'd like this to get a western console release.
    Also you guys are overlooking some non-fighting type pokemon which could potentially fit in here. (Mewtwo, Greninja, some of the bipedal pseudo-legendaries)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Not big on fighting games, but would love to play Pokemon in a whole new way. I am all for this.

I expect mostly fighting types, but also fan favorites like Pikachu. I mean, come on, a game without Pikachu?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Fear not then! There was a short additional Q&A here: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014...est-characters-its-completely-different-game/
    ---As it's a fighting game, I'm a little worried that the roster will be full of humanoid-looking Pokemons (TL note: Pokemans?). I'd rather be surprised with unexpected picks instead.

Harada: That's not a problem at all. Technologically-speaking, we shouldn't face any problems in implementing whatever Pokemon we want. In terms of the system mechanics, we'll be looking at what fans would want, so please rest assured.
    But besides that, I only have one wish...
    Any Tekken fan knows Eddy Gordo, capoeira master.
    All I ask for is Hitmontop in this game.
    I agree with this - would be neat.

I think any of the fighting Pokemon (the Hitmons, Sawk and Throh in particular) would be surprising to be excluded though.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    I really hope that the roster isn't too small, and at least features 20-30 Pokemon, but that's probably too much for them. Only having a dozen characters would suck.

Also Ditto needs to be in the game as a Mokujin kind of character that copies the opponent, and maybe Zoroark as a true Mokujin. Zoroark will copy the appearance of a random playable Pokemon, and when hit/damaged enough, he would revert to his Zoroark form.

Back