• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Positive Unpopular Video Game Opinions!

Years
  • I'm a big fan of "unpopular opinions" threads, but I've noticed they often tend to just devolve into primarily bashing popular things, which, while it's perfectly okay to not like those things, can get to be a bit of a downer.

So, I thought it'd be fun to have a thread specifically for positive unpopular opinions! Any games or gameplay elements or what have you that you really like, but don't see a lot of love for? Share them here, and talk about why you like them!

For some of mine, my most major one is that I actually love EarthBound Beginnings; it's one of my favorite games of all time, in fact. I think it has a lovely mysterious atmosphere to it, and a fantastic story for a NES game~

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm a big fan of "unpopular opinions" threads, but I've noticed they often tend to just devolve into primarily bashing popular things, which, while it's perfectly okay to not like those things, can get to be a bit of a downer.

So, I thought it'd be fun to have a thread specifically for positive unpopular opinions! Any games or gameplay elements or what have you that you really like, but don't see a lot of love for? Share them here, and talk about why you like them!

For some of mine, my most major one is that I actually love EarthBound Beginnings; it's one of my favorite games of all time, in fact. I think it has a lovely mysterious atmosphere to it, and a fantastic story for a NES game~

Well idk about gameplay mechanics, but I feel like a lot of the time my favorite game in a series isn't very popular, at least compared to the other games in the series. Maybe grinding? I'm tempted to play games that are grindy.

pkmin3033

Level grinding is the best thing ever. It gives you a real feeling of accomplishment when, after hours of repetetive busywork, you breeze through what previously gave you so much trouble.

Disgaea fans will know what I'm talking about with this one.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Level grinding is the best thing ever. It gives you a real feeling of accomplishment when, after hours of repetetive busywork, you breeze through what previously gave you so much trouble.

Grinding in D5 feels awarding, doesn't it? c:

pkmin3033

Grinding in D5 feels awarding, doesn't it? c:
    In pretty much every Disgaea I think its pretty rewarding once your levels enter four digits and your damage enters ten or eleven digits, aha. It's part of why I've always loved the series - it actually rewards effort.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Level grinding is the best thing ever. It gives you a real feeling of accomplishment when, after hours of repetetive busywork, you breeze through what previously gave you so much trouble.

I dunno if I feel the same about Grinding, but I think that the Neptunia series- well, the Rebirth series and onwards, anyway- do this particularly well, and it's generally the type of grinding that I can stick to most. The distance to each level is never particularly long and you're always being rewarded in one way or another, really made playing through the first game, in particular, easy for me to buy into and chill out to as I explored all the dungeons.

Agreed on Disgaea, definitely. Especially when you add reincarnations to the mix.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I liked Final Fantasy X-2
    The best Rockstar game is Bully

Officer Tenpenny is one of the best voice acted characters ever
    I think most people who have played Bully will agree it was a great game, it's just a bit of a hidden gem among the other big Rockstar titles. :)

Years
    • Seen today

I think most people who have played Bully will agree it was a great game, it's just a bit of a hidden gem among the other big Rockstar titles. :)

Bully has been getting noticed a little more, but when it comes to the best Rockstar game people usually say San Andreas or Red Dead Redemption.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023

I also liked X-2, at least what I've played of it so far. My PS2's in the attic RN so I haven't been able to play any of the games on it, I might get it on steam though. The linearity of 13 didn't bother me either.

pkmin3033

I like X-2 more than I do X, now that you mention it...Yuna is pitifully weak-willed and dependant in X. Seeing her find her footing in X-2, whilst cheesy and cringeworthy at times, nonetheless made her a much better character.

...speaking of, I liked Final Fantasy XIII-2 for exactly the same reasons, and I think it's the best in the trilogy. It also had a proper villain in Caius Ballad and it made a world of difference.

I dunno if I feel the same about Grinding, but I think that the Neptunia series- well, the Rebirth series and onwards, anyway- do this particularly well, and it's generally the type of grinding that I can stick to most. The distance to each level is never particularly long and you're always being rewarded in one way or another, really made playing through the first game, in particular, easy for me to buy into and chill out to as I explored all the dungeons.

Agreed on Disgaea, definitely. Especially when you add reincarnations to the mix.
    Mk. II and Victory generally did a good job with things as well; it was just the first game with its godawful battle system - or at least, a battle system vastly outclassed by similar games (Trinity Universe) and later ones - that made a mess of things, I think. Re;Birth 1 threw a few nasty curveball bosses I thought, but otherwise it was fairly balanced.

...and the Item World, and Innocents, and all the shortcuts you can take with those. That the game gives you superbosses to tackle provides great incentive as well.

Here's one: the 3DS could easily have another 5+ years of life in it if games were still developed for it, and it would be a perfectly viable alternative - a better one, even - to the Switch. The 3DS is not dead and does not have to die.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I also liked FF X-2, but I'm of the wholly unpopular opinion that XV was one of the top five of the series.

Years
  • I really enjoy Mario Sunshine(mostly for the sandbox elements) and I won't mind a sequel especially if it takes place in one of the neighbouring islands.

Back