• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

possible fake

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2012
    i have this wierd missprint i think....
    its a pinsir and i have looked all over for signs of it being fake i cannot find any i have had 5 friends who are big pokemaniacs have a look at it and they cant tell either....
    the only thing that is not normal is that it has 800 hp (one 0 to many i guess) people say its a missprint cus they really cant tell if its fake.
    what do you think?

Years
  • Would you mind uploading a few pictures as attachments to your next post in this thread? Something like that (having too many numbers in the HP) isn't a one-off error, so there would likely be something about it if it were legitimate.

Pinta77

Ya upload some pics. But i knOw that "800 hp" is common on Certain fakes.

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • Either it's a really good fake, or your friends are not much of "pokemaniacs" as you think, and the card is completely fake.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Which Pokemon Generation is it? The newer it is, the more chance of it being fake/hacked is.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • might as well tell you what I know...

1) Normal Cards:

Tip-offs:

• HP is impossibly high. Normal Pokémon cards (eg Snivy, Wurmple, etc.) should have around 50, 60, max 70 HP. The max for any Pokémon should be around 200 HP.
    • Card is crappy. You shouldn't see stress marks (white bulges where folds are made) when you bend them with moderate force. They should also feel somewhat firm.
    • Ink is horrible. Take a look at the fake card here. If you zoom in (though vB has graciously done that for you) you'll see that the ink is a crappy printer-job that is gridded splotches. But if you zoom in on a legit card, that crappy ink-grid should be less visible, if not gone.
    • Language errors. Take a look at the fake card. On the description, on the second line, it says "pikachu" instead of "Pikachu". Since most of these fake cards are printed in highly industrial second-world countries, they generally don't know English. As a result, they peck away at their keyboards and type in things wrong some of the time. This should tip you off.
    • Font is off. The width of the characters used in legit cards is generally thinner than fake cards. Also, fake cards will sometimes use Windows fonts (eg Arial, Helvetica), and they often don't bold their attack-damage numbers.

2) Fake Holo cards

Tip-offs:

• All normal tips apply.
    • Card is incredibly hard and heavy. Holo cards are made of the same material as normal cards, but with a special layer of something (Mylar? I dunno) paid on top, and in certain spots. There are very few cards where the whole card is holo-foiled, and when they are, there is usually variations in the foil (eg Pikachu has a thunderbolt in the middle bottom), and rarely just a foil cover. Also, you will find that it is harder to bend than a real card for that reason.
    • Card is incredibly shiny. Real holo cards reflect light, not light-colors. It should absorb colors and reflect bright lights, not act as a mirror.
    • Edges are shiny. Fake-card operations are usually very low-end and generally don't have the money to actually lay down patterns of holofoil, so they'll just cover the whole thing in aluminized Mylar, print over it, and call it a day with the holofoil. Real ones generally only have one section of the card (eg picture background) holofoiled and never the border, except for some special cards (eg the Secret Pikachu 115/114).
    • They don't have many decors in the special cards. Some cards are special in that they have strong or rare Pokémon (eg Emboar, Zoroark). Those are usually decorated with minor details, like maybe a silver star instead of a black. Whatever the case, if it just looks like a regular card with lots and lots of shiny stuff, that should tip you off.

And yeah, usually fake cards will have normal HP x10 like Pinta said.

Back