• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Possible Updates to Breeding Speculation and Discussion Thread

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Gf said this generation was both a culmination and an upgrade to the major pieces that have made up the pokemon main series. These included the 151 Pokémon, trade, battles, evolutions, and breeding amongst other things. We've seen them update on trade with an even better version of the GTS, an update on battles with a new type to "balance things out" plus sky battles and one versus five battles, Mega "evolutions" seem to be the new thing to evolutions. Now what could be the new thing for breeding?

Will they change the mechanics of it? may eggs have a chance to be their father's species rather than always be that of the mothers (apart when using ditto that is)? A new method to get baby Pokémon? A change to egg moves?

Or do you think breeding will stay the same?

discuss.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • I think that they should add in a sort of... Hidden Ability chance in breeding. since it's not exactly easy in the first place, and they're not going to have Dream World (or so I hear).
    Maybe they'll increase the Daycare size up to 4, then you'd never know what might come out of the egg~, and add a Nursery (depending on whether or not they have a Join Avenue)
    I do like the idea of the father's species giving a chance, so we don't have to always Ditto breed to get male only species. After all, who knows if ditto will be available without trading?
    Another thought is, they should add in a special slot for eggs, or something. It's annoying to have to have an empty spot for an egg, and leave you down one team member.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • ..they should add in a special slot for eggs, or something. It's annoying to have to have an empty spot for an egg, and leave you down one team member.

I like this idea. Like an "Egg Pouch" in the key items or whatever.
    but we still should have the option to put eggs in our party also. for the people who have to hatch numerous eggs.
    because if there was an egg pouch of sort. it wouldnt let us carry to many.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    I didn't think about any changes to the breeding mechanics, but it would be nice if some things could change.

Mainly egg cycles, I think for some pokemon it just takes way too long, to the point of being tedious.
    Maybe a way to more directly choose which IV's the baby pokemon gets? I'm all for an IV and EV overhaul this generation. Nothing that makes the game too easy, but something that's a little fairer and not possible to abuse as it has been in the past 2-3 generations.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Maybe a way to more directly choose which IV's the baby pokemon gets? I'm all for an IV and EV overhaul this generation. Nothing that makes the game too easy, but something that's a little fairer and not possible to abuse as it has been in the past 2-3 generations.

We can already choose up to two specific IVs to pass down to the baby by giving the parents power items to hold, choosing the third IV to pass down is already making it too easy. If you mean actually having the baby get a specific IV in a specific stat, then that would work too, but for a single stat, it's already kind of pushing it ^_^

I like the idea of a (very) small chance of a hidden ability. There's already a 60% chance to pass down the ability if the female has a hidden ability, so why not have a 1% chance of the baby having a hidden ability, regardless of the parents' abilities?

Years
  • I think that they should add in a sort of... Hidden Ability chance in breeding. since it's not exactly easy in the first place, and they're not going to have Dream World (or so I hear).
    Maybe they'll increase the Daycare size up to 4, then you'd never know what might come out of the egg~, and add a Nursery (depending on whether or not they have a Join Avenue)
    I do like the idea of the father's species giving a chance, so we don't have to always Ditto breed to get male only species. After all, who knows if ditto will be available without trading?
    Another thought is, they should add in a special slot for eggs, or something. It's annoying to have to have an empty spot for an egg, and leave you down one team member.
    I love the idea of the baby possibly having a hidden ability without one of the parents necessary having it. Of course it should be less than 60% chance, proably a 1/6, 1/12 chance? Not too rare or too common.

Years
  • Possibility of a hidden ability in babies is actually a nice idea, there still are many hidden abilities just waiting to be used. (Sheer force Feraligatr is an example)

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    We can already choose up to two specific IVs to pass down to the baby by giving the parents power items to hold, choosing the third IV to pass down is already making it too easy. If you mean actually having the baby get a specific IV in a specific stat, then that would work too, but for a single stat, it's already kind of pushing it ^_^

I like the idea of a (very) small chance of a hidden ability. There's already a 60% chance to pass down the ability if the female has a hidden ability, so why not have a 1% chance of the baby having a hidden ability, regardless of the parents' abilities?

Oh I'm well aware of the current IV mechanics, I was just thinking maybe there could be a more interactive way of securing specific values. Either way, I'm hoping they either do away with the IV system or completely overhaul it this generation.

I'm all for the chance of a hidden ability too. But it definitely has to be a very small chance, like >1% and maybe could progressively increase as the combined parent levels increase (maybe between 5-10% when the combined level is 200?)
    I always though it was a bit off that two young level 1 pokemon could breed...

DamienHelvian

Years
  • I love the idea of the baby possibly having a hidden ability without one of the parents necessary having it. Of course it should be less than 60% chance, proably a 1/6, 1/12 chance? Not too rare or too common.

Well, it'd be much rarer than that... Not as rare as a shiny, which just got boosted didn't it?
    And then, they could add it into the mechanics of the Masuda(?) Method, thus you could get hidden abilities that much easier.
    Otherwise, they'd never really happen, as the current only ways to get them, is through Dream World, certain in-game trades (Yancy), or breeding using a pokemon that has the hidden ability...
    Since Dream World is going away, and there might not be a Yancy in X and Y, they need a new method for obtaining it.... [I like the idea of a new, better, Dream Radar. Or a smaller sort of Dream World that's an App on the 3DS, so more stable]

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Not exactly about breeding, but has anyone considered that we might be able to interact with eggs in pokemon amie? It might be the egg is in an incubation container and we can do things like rub the egg, change temperature, moisture levels, bedding type (straw, wool, rocks, lava etc). Allowing us to speed up hatch time and influence the resulting pokemon in various ways.

There's potential for a lot of depth in how we nurture our eggs.

Years
  • Not exactly about breeding, but has anyone considered that we might be able to interact with eggs in pokemon amie? It might be the egg is in an incubation container and we can do things like rub the egg, change temperature, moisture levels, bedding type (straw, wool, rocks, lava etc). Allowing us to speed up hatch time and influence the resulting pokemon in various ways.

There's potential for a lot of depth in how we nurture our eggs.
    That would be nice to be able to do. Maybe we cold even help them hatch that way instead of running, or riding the bike all over the region to hatch an egg (or eggs for mass breeders). Maybe when they hatch they would even come with the bonuses already hatched Pokémon get.

DamienHelvian

Years
  • That would be nice to be able to do. Maybe we cold even help them hatch that way instead of running, or riding the bike all over the region to hatch an egg (or eggs for mass breeders). Maybe when they hatch they would even come with the bonuses already hatched Pokémon get.

Like purchasing special items from a small shop in/near the Day Care, like a warm blanket.
    Remember how Brock took care of Happiny's egg? I wanna do things like that~

Years
  • Like purchasing special items from a small shop in/near the Day Care, like a warm blanket.
    Remember how Brock took care of Happiny's egg? I wanna do things like that~
    Me too...the player should have more interaction with the eggs than just running with them in his or her backpack or wherever they put them...

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I've read a rumor few days ago (if I remember it right, it was fake but worth mentioning),
    that the Daycare Center have 4 slots and constant breeding will decrease happiness.
    I don't like the ideas of having 4 Pokemon in Daycare Center.
    We all know what our Pokemon do there and it just doean't sound right...

I hope the breeding mechanics to remain the same or even easier and better for novice players.
    They should also increase the chance of breeding Shiny offspring aka Masuda Method,
    I know that the ratio was increased, but it's still not enough.
    They should introduce some Smeargle-like Pokemon, Sketch is an extremely useful and vital for breeding,
    it's quite unfair that only Smeargle's Egg Group can that kind of 'breeding privilege'.

Years
  • Yeah that rumor was fake.

It would be nice though if we could deposit more than 2...but not right away. Maybe when we first arrive at the Daycare we can only deposit one. After we get another badge we can deposit 2, and after getting 2 more we can deposit 3, and finally after getting 3 more badges we can deposit 4. Of course the day care will need to be sometime after the first or second (like in BW)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The only thing confirmed to change by Gamefreak is they are redoing the "Inheritance" system.

I don't know if they mean Egg Move inheritance, Ability inheritance or if they mean IV inheritance systems, but so far the only changes to breeding is going to be a change to the inheritance.

I'm thinking its the IV system since they are trying to make both IV and EVs more transparent. Maybe they'll make a new way to IV breed.

Years
  • The only thing confirmed to change by Gamefreak is they are redoing the "Inheritance" system.

I don't know if they mean Egg Move inheritance, Ability inheritance or if they mean IV inheritance systems, but so far the only changes to breeding is going to be a change to the inheritance.

I'm thinking its the IV system since they are trying to make both IV and EVs more transparent. Maybe they'll make a new way to IV breed.
    I haven't heard of this until now. It's good to see they're willing to change the breeding system which hasn't had big changes since Gen III.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I haven't heard of this until now. It's good to see they're willing to change the breeding system which hasn't had big changes since Gen III.

They had a fairly large change in Gen 5 with the change of the Mother controlling the Ability inheritance. Not just dream world, but you could control whether or not the baby had a specific ability based on what ability the mother had and what place she was put in the Daycare (First or second) If she had a specific ability you wanted to pass, placing her first gave more priority to her ability over the other ability she could have had. While placing her second gave more priority to the ability she didn't have. All of this trumped if she had a Dream World ability.

Can't really say there haven't been any major changes since Gen 3 when that one was fairly large.

As for the one I posted just now, I want to say it was a rumor that surfaced a few days ago but both Bulbapedia and Serebii posted news on it I believe.

Bulbapedia news report: Nintendo Dream Interview

Years
  • By big change I meant a change to IV and Ev's. One bigger than Gen IV's power item inheritance which wasn't a major change to the mechanics, nor was the ability being related to the mother's of Gen V imo. However they did make it easier to breed the ideal Pokémon one wants.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • We can already choose up to two specific IVs to pass down to the baby by giving the parents power items to hold, choosing the third IV to pass down is already making it too easy. If you mean actually having the baby get a specific IV in a specific stat, then that would work too, but for a single stat, it's already kind of pushing it ^_^

Everstones (and incenses) make this much less of a thing. The fact that Gamefreak already included breeding-features to influence IVs/natures which aren't perfect, and that they're being transparent about EVs in this upcoming generation (not to mention making EV training easier), makes it very likely that they'll make IVs/natures more transparent and easy through the breeding process.

Back