• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Post Game Thoughts *Lots of Spoilers*

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
Years
  • I would like to hear the opinion of those that have already beaten the game.
    Before you read my review of the game let me state that I really enjoyed this game and I think it is worth buying. However, there was a lot that the game could improve on so here we go!

Spoilers ahead

Liked:
    Spoiler:

Disliked:

Spoiler:

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • I have to also disagree. This game is amazing. I've never had so much fun.

And if you think Exp. Share is overpowered, either turn it off or keep cycling your Pokémon. I use a different team against each Gym, and I usually permanently box my Pokémon after fully evolving them. That's why all 7 of my starters (breed and trade) are permaboxed. I use mostly weak Pokémon in routes and trainer battles.

In previous games, this was always my team until the Elite Four:
    -Starter (usually water-type; knows Surf)
    -Early route bird (HM02 slave)
    -HM slave
    -Another Pokémon which could also be considered an HM slave
    -Pikachu, or some-other Pikachu-like electric Pokémon easily caught early-game. Mostly just there to use Thunder Wave to make catching easier.
    -A really weak Pokémon that evolves by leveling up. Holds Exp. Share and will be replaced with another Pokémon in the same predicament after evolving.

Then in postgame, I just completely lose interest.

Now, on the other hand, I'm taking my time to explore every route, catch every Pokémon, and talk to everyone. I just passed the 40 hour mark in game time and I just got the fourth badge and caught about 200 Pokémon! I'm having way too much fun to continue the story. And that's really saying something for a Pokémon game.

Also, because I'm playing the game in French, I'm constantly looking up words of dialogue in my French dictionary and learning a **** ton of new vocabulary, grammar, and word usage. Great way to learn the language.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • For the hair I had Medium Perm. But it disappeared thereafter. I am baffled about the options for the haircuts. Hopefully people can discover more about it soon.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • For the hair I had Medium Perm. But it disappeared thereafter. I am baffled about the options for the haircuts. Hopefully people can discover more about it soon.

When I buy X (have Y) I'll probably play as a girl because the outfits and other customization options are way nicer. That's why I'm a girl in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

But I guess that's how it is in real life where women wear pretty much anything and men have to wear a suit and tie.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • I take it you two wasn't around when Pokemon Red and Blue we're first released?

Just because someone liked a or called it the best pokemon game besides the Almighty Red/Blue, you quickly assume they never played them before?

Red/Blue was good during it's time and and growing up playing Gen 1, this type of post is the reason why gen 1 fan gets hated on and gets attacked and getting called Genwunners. Why can't people understand not everyone will like the same game?

On topic;

Love the game, my only gripe is that trainers only carries 1-3 pokemons. Hopefully they changed or add in a challenge mode again and increase its number. Other than that, e4-champion has the highest lvl we have seen so far, if they could have just added a few tweaks and add in a 5th pokemon for e4, pokemon league would have been great for me.

Years
  • I just finished it last night and I enjoyed it pretty much yep, one of the sickest storylines so far IMO.

I'm now doing the Looker sidequest

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I enjoyed the game, though I do agree that it was too easy.

I used the Exp. Share the whole way through, and my team of six ended up seven levels higher than the Champion. In fact, I was consistently nine to ten levels higher than every Trainer I faced until I hit the Elite Four. I imagine I would've been fifteen levels higher or more had I utilized the Pokemon-Amie boost. I one-shotted every Pokemon the Elite Four members threw at me with my Greninja and Meowstic, and only floundered at the Steel guy because I had absolutely NO fire moves on my team. Even then, I bought forty Hyper Potions and thirty Revives and only ended up using I think three of them to top off my team immediately before the Champion. The Champion herself was quite easy, only MegaGardevoir gave me pause and knocked out Meowstic, but Furfrou's Sucker Punch did her in.

The Gym Leaders were similarly disappointing. Three Pokemon is not enough to cover the inherent weaknesses in a monotype team. Not to mention the eighth Gym Leader has awful defensive typing, which made him easier than the first. I think the Gym puzzles were of typical difficulty for a Pokemon game, so I disagree with the OP there. The stunning visuals inside of the Gyms themselves makes up for the puzzles in my opinion. I did not like how Viola trapped you in her Gym, though.

I also went through the game with a perfect record. I'm into the postgame and still have no idea what a blackout looks like.

I agree that horde battles ended up being super annoying. As a completionist, I had to slowly knock out 4 other Pokemon to catch the Pokemon I wanted. There is also no way to know which Pokemon in the Horde has their Hidden Ability, which also sucks.

I enjoyed the French theme. I thought it was very refreshing and interesting. After seeing tourists from Kanto that are VERY Japanese, and talking to the NPC that mentioned that Gary is around and learned a few words in Kalos' language, it was mind-boggling to realize that my character and everyone else in Kalos were actually speaking French. That Unova we were all speaking English, and that Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh were Japanese. I know it's a weird thing to like, but I think that it makes the Pokemon world seem a lot bigger and much more alive. It also gives me hope that one day perhaps our disparate cultures will be able to work together and be peaceful like our Pokemon counterparts are.

I'm meh on Mega Evolutions. I don't like that they feel mandatory now for competitive battling, as I don't like many of them. I'm happy that some previously "bad" Pokemon are going to get some OU action with their Mega Evolutions though, so I suppose I'm not entirely displeased with them.

I agree that Team Flare's design wasn't great and the leader was way wayyyy too apparent, but I disagree with the notion that the designs for the other characters were so bad that I couldn't tell the gender of the characters. The characters you mentioned as being ambiguous were quite clear to me. Also, transphobia isn't cool.

Victory Road was somewhere between Johto's and BW2 Unova's in difficulty, I thought. It seemed to drone on for a while, but I explored every nook and cranny and battle every Trainer there, so that could've been why. I imagine a race to the finish would've made this Victory Road seem pretty bad.

I liked the rivals with the exception of the dancing idiot and his incessant antics. I really wanted to show him the back of a Shedinja, or offer him to a Dusknoir. Also, there was one point when I beat Trevor in Pokedexing when I had only seen 9 Mountain Kalos Pokemon, which I thought was funny. I thought Shauna was coming on too strong and I'm glad I wasn't forced into a romance with her. Serena was by far my favorite. She was everything that I think a Trainer should be. Kind, fair, practical, determined, all while still being strong. I think that she may have become my favorite rival in the series. For new players and for children who will have this as their first Pokemon game, I think she's a good role model.

The storyline was darker than usual, but I thought it was okay overall. Not as epic as the climax to Platinum, nor as disappointing as Black and White. I think we needed more Team Flare encounters in between the second to last and the climax encounters. Something to make them increasingly desperate, menacing, and dangerous while also establishing the legendary. I mean, seriously, the legendary is mentioned like twice and is then basically dropped in our laps five minutes later. Not cool.

All in all, I hope Game Freak adds back in a high difficulty setting for Z, fleshes out Team Flare a little more, and doesn't drop the legendary in our lap with virtually no explanation next time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    i just finish the main storyline of the game. it cool you get a 2nd starter pokemon from Shauna

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    I don't know what you were expecting when they said it is going to be set in France theme, I was expecting this pretty much overall.

Mega Evolution isn't for everybody you either hate it or love it. For example a regular Mawile is EXTREMELY WEAK and it gets a god-like boost in Mega form, it makes sense that you only can use one.

I actually like the change from bitter rival to companions where you go around the region with and just because they don't fight you very often or are afraid of the bad guys doesn't make them useless, Gamefreak actually made them realistic. They're a bunch normal kids overall.

I agree that the story was lacking but it was short either way and this is the typical story they could come up with anyways. I wasn't expecting a better story than original B/W.

Wrong and mismatched type match-up can be a walk in the park and this game proves it.

I don't know about you but I brought this game to play Pokémon, not to go all flirty-flirty in a social sims way with the female companions. I don't see how this can be a disappointment, well whatever floats your boat.

Zanekin

Bidoof is best pokémon
    Years
  • I enjoyed the game, though I do agree that it was too easy.

I used the Exp. Share the whole way through, and my team of six ended up seven levels higher than the Champion. In fact, I was consistently nine to ten levels higher than every Trainer I faced until I hit the Elite Four. I imagine I would've been fifteen levels higher or more had I utilized the Pokemon-Amie boost. I one-shotted every Pokemon the Elite Four members threw at me with my Greninja and Meowstic, and only floundered at the Steel guy because I had absolutely NO fire moves on my team. Even then, I bought forty Hyper Potions and thirty Revives and only ended up using I think three of them to top off my team immediately before the Champion. The Champion herself was quite easy, only MegaGardevoir gave me pause and knocked out Meowstic, but Furfrou's Sucker Punch did her in.
    Yes the steel guy was slightly irritating i'll give the elite 4 that and i guess it was nice they changed the types up of the elite 4

The Gym Leaders were similarly disappointing. Three Pokemon is not enough to cover the inherent weaknesses in a monotype team. Not to mention the eighth Gym Leader has awful defensive typing, which made him easier than the first. I think the Gym puzzles were of typical difficulty for a Pokemon game, so I disagree with the OP there. The stunning visuals inside of the Gyms themselves makes up for the puzzles in my opinion. I did not like how Viola trapped you in her Gym, though.
    Hit the nail on the head here it was having 3 pokemon that made it so underwhelming to earn each badge. Yeah I have had more time to think about the game and the puzzles were on par I'm just getting older i suppose. And yes! I did not spend enough time discussing how beautiful/cool each gym was

I also went through the game with a perfect record. I'm into the postgame and still have no idea what a blackout looks like.
    Yeah that was a first for me, and once again maybe it's because i'm getting older or because the wide choices to choose your pokemon from allowed you to have such a well rounded team.

I agree that horde battles ended up being super annoying. As a completionist, I had to slowly knock out 4 other Pokemon to catch the Pokemon I wanted. There is also no way to know which Pokemon in the Horde has their Hidden Ability, which also sucks.
    Yup, although i was excited for this feature perhaps they can make it a little less of a pain. Would like to of seen more than one type of pokemon in the herd as well

I enjoyed the French theme. I thought it was very refreshing and interesting. After seeing tourists from Kanto that are VERY Japanese, and talking to the NPC that mentioned that Gary is around and learned a few words in Kalos' language, it was mind-boggling to realize that my character and everyone else in Kalos were actually speaking French. That Unova we were all speaking English, and that Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh were Japanese. I know it's a weird thing to like, but I think that it makes the Pokemon world seem a lot bigger and much more alive. It also gives me hope that one day perhaps our disparate cultures will be able to work together and be peaceful like our Pokemon counterparts are.
    Yeah I suppose you have a point here, you've changed my mind on that part! Although it still felt a little forced/cheesy to me it did emphasize the size of the world.

I'm meh on Mega Evolutions. I don't like that they feel mandatory now for competitive battling, as I don't like many of them. I'm happy that some previously "bad" Pokemon are going to get some OU action with their Mega Evolutions though, so I suppose I'm not entirely displeased with them.
    I started off with a bad taste in my mouth for mega evolutions right off the bat. While I like the concept and it does have the ability to improve certain pokemon I didn't like they did it to the three original starters. To me the 3 OG starters should never of been altered, but I guess that is a stubborn way of thinking when even pikachu has been given a previous form. But I have to admit they did a great job with the designs on the mega evo's

I agree that Team Flare's design wasn't great and the leader was way wayyyy too apparent, but I disagree with the notion that the designs for the other characters were so bad that I couldn't tell the gender of the characters. The characters you mentioned as being ambiguous were quite clear to me. Also, transphobia isn't cool.
    They just were not clear to me, and in no way was I trying to be offensive to transexuals nor am i prejudiced towards them but I just thought they weren't the most notable gym leaders i've seen.
    Victory Road was somewhere between Johto's and BW2 Unova's in difficulty, I thought. It seemed to drone on for a while, but I explored every nook and cranny and battle every Trainer there, so that could've been why. I imagine a race to the finish would've made this Victory Road seem pretty bad.
    While it was long (I too explored) it was simply too easy like i mentioned especially with the trainers all having 2 or less pokemon
    I liked the rivals with the exception of the dancing idiot and his incessant antics. I really wanted to show him the back of a Shedinja, or offer him to a Dusknoir. Also, there was one point when I beat Trevor in Pokedexing when I had only seen 9 Mountain Kalos Pokemon, which I thought was funny. I thought Shauna was coming on too strong and I'm glad I wasn't forced into a romance with her. Serena was by far my favorite. She was everything that I think a Trainer should be. Kind, fair, practical, determined, all while still being strong. I think that she may have become my favorite rival in the series. For new players and for children who will have this as their first Pokemon game, I think she's a good role model.
    Yeah Tierno was the worst of the 4, yeah the mountain dex didn't fill up quickly and that is funny! Yes I thought Shauna was similar to a puppy following you around the whole time. 1--% agree about serena

The storyline was darker than usual, but I thought it was okay overall. Not as epic as the climax to Platinum, nor as disappointing as Black and White. I think we needed more Team Flare encounters in between the second to last and the climax encounters. Something to make them increasingly desperate, menacing, and dangerous while also establishing the legendary. I mean, seriously, the legendary is mentioned like twice and is then basically dropped in our laps five minutes later. Not cool.
    I guess my issue was mostly with the pacing of the game, the time between the first two badges made it seem like i was going to be on a such a long epic adventure. But after that I felt like i was shot out of a cannon in comparison. And yes I couldn't think of what bothered me with flare but you're right they did not show up near enough.

Yeah I'm still not too sure about the legendary's story he was sort of a supporting role to AZ and his fairy type.

All in all, I hope Game Freak adds back in a high difficulty setting for Z, fleshes out Team Flare a little more, and doesn't drop the legendary in our lap with virtually no explanation next time.
    put my answers to your thoughts in bold!

I don't know what you were expecting when they said it is going to be set in France theme, I was expecting this pretty much overall.

Mega Evolution isn't for everybody you either hate it or love it. For example a regular Mawile is EXTREMELY WEAK and it gets a god-like boost in Mega form, it makes sense that you only can use one.

I actually like the change from bitter rival to companions where you go around the region with and just because they don't fight you very often or are afraid of the bad guys doesn't make them useless, Gamefreak actually made them realistic. They're a bunch normal kids overall.

I agree that the story was lacking but it was short either way and this is the typical story they could come up with anyways. I wasn't expecting a better story than original B/W.

Wrong and mismatched type match-up can be a walk in the park and this game proves it.

I don't know about you but I brought this game to play Pokémon, not to go all flirty-flirty in a social sims way with the female companions. I don't see how this can be a disappointment, well whatever floats your boat.
    Yeah it made sense you could only use one but i was still drooling at the thought of using multiple!

Now you make an interesting point, I disagree with the idea of them being companions instead of rivals but that is a personal preference that probably stems from my competitive nature. However, I didn't think of it the way you put the second part that they were realistic with them being normal kids. Perhaps 4 companions is a little much though?

Well I agree the original b/w is a tough story to compete with, fans should have high standards and each game should try and one up the last one in every way.

Let me clarify on my point about a possible relationship forming (which with a silent protagonist is sort of a boring concept). Going into the game not one ounce of my fiber considered that the game should/would/could go in a direction to pair the protagonist up with one of the companions. It was only after hours of game play, with two contrasting female characters, one of which explicitly and undoubtedly made every hint to feelings towards your character. After all that i thought the game was going to lead you into a path of choosing one of the girls. Not what I wanted to happen but it was what i guessed was going to happen after the way the game was progressing, and only after it was clearing up that it wasn't the case was I kind of thrown off as to why they would of spent the time to develop a female character with a crush on the protagonist. (Although admittedly I was way over thinking this connection)

An additional thought I had while replying to this:
    I loved how we got to pick the dialogue occasionally on whether or not we admitted to finding something and so on. Honestly I have big hopes that this will grow in future pokemon games and progress to a point where the gamer has decisions to make that potentially could effect the entire outcome of the game.

Last edited:

X-Calem

Savior of a Broken World
    Years
    • SG
    • Seen Oct 27, 2014
    This game, compared to the previous games in the series, was noticeably easy, with the notorious buffed Exp share. And those who had the event Torchic had a noticeable advantage. Those Blaziken kicks :P Perhaps this game was targeted to those new to the series/gaming, and not to the veterans. (*ahem* Gen 3 veteran here #Gen3Remakes :D)
    For the storyline, I had to say it was rather plain and simple compared to Black & White(arguably one of the best IMO), although I agree with the majority that it had a darker feel to it with the rumoured death of Lysandre.
    Mega Evolutions were an interesting add on to the competitive scene of X & Y, and contributed to the new types of Pokemon in Gen VI to capture (in my opinion). I liked how it was balanced so that only one Pokemon can be Mega Evolved. It requires you to study the opponent and Mega Evolve the correct Pokemon at the correct time.
    Overall, I would say it was a notably interesting take on the Pokemon Series. While it has quite a few areas for improvement, we have to consider it being the first main series game on the 3DS and a new generation created. I remember the fuss created when Ruby & Sapphire was announced.
    Lastly, I ship CalemXSerena (default names FYI)

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    The gyms in this game are not challenging at all! I just beat the fourth gym and all in 1 go through my pokemon are fainting everything in 1 or 2 hits. All other games I have usually try a gym leader a few times. I wish there was more challenges...

Back